Help Repairing Goldbug Medussa Cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Goldbug Medusa Cartridge needle is loose and around it is missing whatever support material was there. It was still working and I just now noticed missing material. The needle has a hole around it. I'm tempted to use glue but don't want to risk permanently damaging it if that is not the way to do it. I have a great microscope to rework it if anyone could instruct me how. I did google search & only got ads for retip services -no instructions for DIY.

The tiny diamond needle is fixed in the cantilever tube by a process that you are unlikely able to do at home. Or perhaps the cantilever is loose? It is held in place by a pice of steel wire, and the coil assembly is supported by a piece of (usually round) rubber at its rear side. It is normal that the cantilever changes its angle vs the cartridge body when it is lifted down.

Thanks for replys. Sounds like I'm out of luck far as DIY unless someone puts up a thorough DIY film on You tube or something. What's the most economical retip service that is competent? My goal here is to sell the cart and player but don't want to overspend on the repair.

If the coil wires haven,t been broken
This would be tricky to do without breaking them in the process
There should be a set screw near the middle of the body that forms the combined piano wire/coils , needle and shaft that is pulled back against the missing silicone donut.
How you would insert the donut is the problem without desoldering the microscopic wires is another issue.
I guess you could slice the donut and slide it in. The compliance is set by how tightly you pull the whole assembly back against the donut and tighten the set screw.
The type of silicone to use would be another issue.
A lot of factors to consider, but what do you have to loose at this point?
I remember this cartridge got great reviews in its day.
Considering the price of MC,s at this level, this alone should motivate you to attempt it yourself..

Regards
David

Attachments

• mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 125
Make sure you look up tonearm/cartridge alignment procedures to get the most from what you have. They have alignment jigs available or you can make one on a piece of paper also.
When you do, you will be aligning the diamond / cantilever at the 2 null points. Use plenty of light or wear high power reading glasses to make it easier.
You mention it's slightly off center and this is quite common on many expensive MC,s as well.
The body is not important as far as alignment, only the moving cantilever since that's the business end
Your new and that's ok, since all of us had to start at one time as well
Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.