sony ps-t2 speed issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ended up coming home from the dump today with a Sony ps-t2 turn table. It runs, but it seems to run a bit too fast.

I tried looking on vinyl engine for the manual but no luck. They have the t1, but not the t2.

I am wondering if anyone here happens to have a service manual for this table. I wouldn't mind playing with it a bit, making a separate ps/speed control unit for it. The platter seems to be somewhat "light". Far lighter than my thorens table. I can probably correct that with some strategically placed lead.

I also ended up with a garrard 440 table which seems to be frozen due to the gunky lube that they used back then. Completely clean underneath, but just "stuck". I will clean that out with some kerosene and get it running again. Also in the haul was a lafayette receiver and a hitachi tape deck. Since I am completely into tube, the receiver will likely go to a friend of mine.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

if it's the fully auto one with the red start touch button one of my friends had one of those from new he probably still has it as i have not seen him in a long time, lovely sounding deck :)

i would start with servicing the trim pots or even replacing them.

Ok, I figured it out. There is a pot on the underside of the table that controls the coarse speed. Once I adjusted that I was able to tune it in.

I setup the arm/cartridge with an Ortofon vms20e mkii and I have to say that I really like that cartridge.

The only issue that I have left to correct is that the tonearm lift doesn't go down far enough and causes the arm to skip. I'm pretty sure that I have a solution for that though.

All in all the table sounds great, especially for something that was being tossed into the dump.

With a dremel tool and a deburr bit, the arm lift is no longer an issue. I took off about 2mm from the top of the lift and now the arm has clearance.

Really enjoying this table. One thing that I have noticed is that the ortofon cartridge that I am using really out shines the shure v15 type iv that I have on my thorens. When I got the shure, the stylus tip snapped right off so I ended up getting a "generic" replacement. It seems muddy in the higher frequencies and I couldn't quite put my finger on the problem until now.

Has anyone here tried the Jico replacement stylus for the v15? I wanted to get some feedback on them before I go and dump $180 on a new stylus.

Hi. I was wondering if you ever found a service manual for your ps-t2? I have the same model, picked it up at a garage sale. It's in great shape, but I'd love to find the manual myself. You might know this, but I'm going to be transporting the turntable and I'd like to lock the table. I'm not sure how to go about doing that without the manual. Any ideas? Thanks for the tip on the Ortofon cartridge also, I was wondering how to select a new one and was searching around for any info. Your first-hand experience is a big help. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.