Cartridges for linear tracking tonearms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I bought this tonearm thta I will be using in a future turntable project:

Advanced Analog Audio - MG-1 MK1 AIR BEARING OPERATE LINEAR TRACKING TONEARM

I´ve been trying to get an understanding of what makes a good cartdrige for linear tonearms regarding weight and compliance but I don´t seem to get a clear answer. Maybe there isn´t one. My technical background isn´t the most fit either...

Linear tonearms have a high horizantal mass compared to vertical. I understand that. What do I need them, a low compliance, high weight cart to suit the horizontal weight? a high compliance, low weight to suit the vertical? Something in the middle?

I would apppreciate members opinions as what makes a cart suitable for this kind of tonearm, maybe we can start an open debate with suggestions. It would be cool if we can get to some kind of conclusion.

My dilemma now is that I have a DL103R with a bent cantilever. I was thinking about getting it repaired at soundsmith with one of their fancy ruby cantlievers and diamonds but I don´t know if I should just look for a different kind of cart altogether if I plan to use this cart on the linear tonearm.

Thanks for your opinions!

Luis

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

That arm looks very similar to the Air Tangent.
Basically any cartridge should work in a LT arm. Of course there are cartridges that are better suited than others but in general they can all be made to work.

Ideally you'd also want a decent record clamp but then that's true for any arm anyway...

Ciao, ;)

All you need is the effective mass of the arm in the horizontal and vertical planes, mass, and compliance of the cartridge you are considering. There are a number of spreadsheet type calculators available online which will use this data and calculate the horizontal and vertical resonant frequencies. vertical goal is typical preferred between 8 and 11 Hz while horizontal, 4 and 5 Hz seems to be popular . If the cartridge in question fits these criteria, it should work. If the vertical goes too high, interaction with audio frequencies is an issue. If too low, warps will be a problem. For the horizontal, too high is the same as before but too low doesn't have warps to consider while interaction with the turntable's suspension might cause problems.

I´ll look up for those spreadsheets. pcb121055, if you have any pointer of a good one, I would appreciate any tip!

So first conclusion is that there is not a fixed rule for this kind of matter and it all depends on the particular effective tonearm mass in both planes and how it combines with cart weight and compliance.

Thank you for your help!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

but if you want to use your 103 I expect you'd need to add some weight to the back?

With the 103 we used to put some lead foil between the shell and the cart.

BTW, since sooner or later I'll need to replace the pump of my aging Air Tangent I was wondering if the one of the MG is any good? Is it quiet enough etc.?
Other recommendations are welcomed too.

TIA, ;)

Hi,

With the 103 we used to put some lead foil between the shell and the cart.

BTW, since sooner or later I'll need to replace the pump of my aging Air Tangent I was wondering if the one of the MG is any good? Is it quiet enough etc.?
Other recommendations are welcomed too.

TIA, ;)

Frank, the pump that ada supplies with the MG-1 is reportedly quite noisy. In the end I purchased a cheap Hailea pump from ebay. Something like this:

Hailea V20 Air Pump - 4 Outlet | eBay

I placed it in my loft, in a plastic box, because i expected it to be noisy but once connected up it's actually almost silent. I could easily have it in my listening room (in the plastic box). You have to take care to eliminate the vibrations though. An even better and slightly more expensive option is the Hiblow - something like this:

Hi-Blow HP20 Fish Pond Air Pump - 20 Litres per Minute | eBay

Statistically they're about 1/3 quieter than the Hailea. I haven't heard one but i know some audiophile friends who are happy to run them in they're listening rooms.

Off course this is in relation to the MG-1 which requires approx a 20L pump. For the MG requirements at least it seems the Hiblow is the best option. you can even get a 40/80L and use a step down to make it even quieter.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

On the AT I only used MC cartridges: Koetsu Black, Rosewood, Sumiko Alchemist IIIS, AT OC7, OC9 and last but not least a Jan Allaerts MC One which I still use to date.
All of which worked flawlessly with the AT.
IIRC I installed an AKG MM once out of curiosity mostly (can't recall the exact model but it was a VDH tipped one) which worked fine also but wasn't a match for the other MCs. Which, all things considered, is only to be expected.
TT is an Analogue Audio Mentor Reference on a RATA Torlyte tripod stand.

Ciao, ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thx.
Had a few Denon103 and 110 many, many years ago. To me these are fine for classical solo instruments such as piano and violin but they err on the romantic side of reproduction and lacked dynamic scale and fine detail.
That said I'm not familiar with the R version of the 103 but I had a 103 with a VdH style tip that broght more detail but still wasn't what I wanted.

All this was years before the Air T. arm though, I think I must have used a Goldmund T3 tangential arm back in those days which wasn't the ideal match for the Denon carts.

Hope you'll get your Denon returned to you soon. It must be awful not being able to play vinyl records.

Oh, should you ever travel down the Costa Brava, pay Begur a visit for me. Es la perla de la Costa.:cool:

Ciao, ;)

hey, ligascon. sorry for the delayed response. work demands. I have used the calculators on vinylengine.com and theanalogdept.com with good success. Also consider the preamp-to-cartridge electrical matching (pF/Ohms) possible once a particular cartridge has been chosen. good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.