DIY microphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For FR work I recommend a calibrated mic. Period. Uncalibrated mics can be far off from a flat response and you'll never know, maybe trying to adjust a problem that is from mic and not in the speaker.
Calibrated mic can cost some tens of €, not too expensive, IMO, just be aware of the need (or not) of a mic preamp.
I build a diy mic with a Panasonic WM-61A in the past, and it needed phantom power (easy) and a preamp, and without one it was useless for FR measures.

Ralf

I have received the capsules. I have hooked up one to my EMU 0404 and while sounding, is wasn't satisfactory at all. Low volume, to much noise, no windshield. It went a bit better when phantom powered (the EMU has an on/off button), but it wasn't even near to a commercial mic. I have already ordered the parts to build Projct 93 ESP preamplifier, hope it will work.

Long time ago I got two capsules of Primo, they were invented for measure sound systems. The diameter is 20mm, biger than any Panasonic.
I hear about them for an article in Glass Audio (I was a serious follower of this magazine) I attached a valve in the same envelope of the micro and the sound was amazing, the dynamic range of this micro is 130dB and the response is flat between 2 and 13KHz. I don't know how get again but maybe is possible.
Best Regards.

Could it be that one?

http://www.primomic.com/php/get_products_details.php?model=EM23

These capsules (~$60 @) were used in the Nakamichi CM300 microphones, still highly sought after as entry level mics for concert tapers. You can get 10-12dBA noise in the right circuit, but you need to build the impedance converter because these are raw capsules. You can not use the EMU phantom power. There are some concert samples on Jan's Linear Audio site of a pair of EM-23's.

For a measurement mic you want something like the Nakamichi CP-3 capsule (don't know the Primo number or even if Primo).

I have already assembled the Linkwitz circuit which uses an opamp and the result is quite excelent! I made the mod to improve their SPL.

I will mount too the ESP circuit which uses transistors to compare how do they perform. I will mount it in an assembly and post pictures as finished.

Attachments

• qqqq.jpg
    qqqq.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 130
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.