Does anyone know of a direct drive turntable with suspension

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I don't know, I'm going to need to do a bit of research and calculation on that one.

I have just fitted a Nagaoka MP10 with the cheese body and boron cantilever to it and I have to say the sound is quite impressive, very engaging, very slightly light at the bottom but I don't think the VTA is quite right so there's still some wiggle room in there.

I have a spare low output MC here but I'm going to give the Nagaoka a good run before I fit the MC

I've now tried an MC cart in it and it's definitely an improvement. I had an Entre EC-1 spare so have put that in, not sure how many hours are on it though so I will look to replace it with something new in time.

I had been looking at the Benz Micro carts for a while but have never tried one so may well go down that road, any one have any other suggestions for a current MC cart

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't know what your budget is, but depending on the mass of your arm there are a number of reasonably priced MCs.

Unfortunately I am not quite sure what is going on with Benz these days, most online sellers don't have stock of most models and this seems to have been going on for at least six months now, the unsubstantiated rumor on the street is that they have gone belly up for some reason or other.

I have a Benz Ebony H which while entirely competent is not the most resolving or dynamic cartridge I own. I have three Ortofon SPU all of which imho are better sounding than the Benz. Part of the problem could be the only arm I have that is compatible is a nicely fettled SME 3009 Series II arm which is medium mass.. I have heard it on a Schroeder as well and it wasn't great there either..

Some years ago I was about to throw in the towel and go all digital, a last second decision to give it one more shot with an LOMC before I gave up changed my mind. The cartridge in question was a ZU Denon DL-103, the machined aluminum body seems to make a big difference to the performance of the DL-103. It's not insanely priced and if you are brave you could acquire one of several different bodies on eBay and install the innards of a DL-103 in it yourself and possibly save some money or not.

I recently recommended an Ortofon Windfeld to a friend and he is thrilled with it, and I have to admit I have been a fan of Ortofon cartridges (even some MM) for a long time.

Ok thanks for that Kevin.

The reason behind the Benz comment was that I'd never tried one but yes since I've looked there do seem to be very few about.

I've heard a lot of good things about the DL-103 and all it's variants but again have never tried one, the only problem I would have with the Denon and all the carts that shape is the room in the headshell, this ADC headshell is a bit on the tight side so the boxier carts are a bit snug. There are quite a few about on ebay etc though so I might gamble on a 2nd hand one to play around with.

I have tried a few MM Ortofon's but they have never been to my liking but am always open to trying new things.

My other choice was a Lyra but again don't see too many of those about.

I also have a Coral MC-88E here that really suits this arm but it's not right on one channel so I can't really go any further with that one which is really annoying. I might look to getting it repaired though, or look around for another to replace it.

Something will turn up I'm sure but right now the Entre is doing a pretty good job in there.

I also have a Koetsu Rosewood here so I might get brave and try that in there but it's not a cartridge I like to move around too much.

The basis was a Gemini PT2000 which is a SL1200 clone. I used the motor and all the electronics. The arm is an ADC which I believe were originally made by Jelco

It is really in a different league sound wise to a SL1200 or any of it's derivatives or clones but this is mostly down to the arm and it being extended to 12" and rewired with Cardas cable.
I have quite a few high end turntables and arms and am frankly amazed at how nice it sounds compared to them which is more luck than judgement on my part

The sound itself is very musical and airy with rock solid imaging and superb detail.

I have now tried quite a range of MM and MC carts in it and so far all have worked well so I am now looking around for a brand new one to have a permanent home in this turntable.

From what I gather Gemini have quite a bad name now for turntables but when the donor for my turntable was made they did a much better job, I have some of the later ones and can see quite a few differences in the motor and bearing.

This one is whisper quiet and superbly speed stable but I have removed all of the pitch changing control so it is constantly locked on speed.

Next job is an acrylic platter for it.

Thanks very much

It's a bit more of a change then making a plinth though as this is now a suspended sub chassis turntable like the Linn's and AR's.

I need to put something down on paper as it was all done in my head and making it up as I went along. I did take some photo's as I went so could build a post using those and have another Gemini I could take apart to show that part of it but I haven't done any drawings.

As always the hardest thing will be finding the time

Joined 2002
Paid Member
allenh,

You have made a terrific turntable. The Technics SL-1200 Mkll turntable sold over 3 million units, making it a good candidate for upgrades like taking it apart and install in a new plinth. Please give us detailed instructions on how to make a turntable like yours.

Why destroy a perfectly good table, when Technics produced many millions more suspended versions of SL-13xx-14xx-...17xx ?

Arne K

(would like a SL-12xx in a larger, heavier solid plinth...)

Arne

I think you have misunderstood what I was trying to achieve and how I went about it.

Have a read through the whole thread and it should make it clearer

The unit I used as a donor was not a Technics or a even perfectly good table, it was a Gemini XL-500 that had suffered a fair amount of physical abuse but with a perfectly good motor and electronics.

When I started out on this I was after making a direct drive turntable with a suspended sub chassis like the belt drive Linn's and AR's etc. as I could not find another example and to date the only other I have seen is from Micro Seiki, but I believe there are others which are all quite exotic (Goldmund etc.), a lot of those suggested like the SL-13, 14 etc are not suspended sub chassis turntables in the same way as the LInn's etc. where the part supporting the platter and arm is suspended within the plinth and from the rest of the structure which stays still but rather damped ones where the whole chassis as one is damped from whatever it sits on or in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.