MC Cartridge suggestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
trade-offs

It is a nice looking unit, with supurb build quality. I am a big advocate of 'simpler is better', after many years of experince of winding circuits and parts counts down to as low a number as possible. Every time I do this, I end up with the most natural sounding items, or devices.

The circuit looks fairly simple(Plinius), but the schematic that was listed ealier piques my interest much more. A bunch of matched devices, selected out of few dozen or so might iprove it further.

Battery powered is most appealing.

Perhaps the Plinius is of similar simplicity, but the (what is visible at least) parts count and circuit board do count in it's favor for overall 'commerical' viability and manufacturing (we can't all make our own stuff!)....but simple tends to be best! Since I work with a world class mechanical and acoustical noise control expert, making my own and building our own chassis is definitely an option. All hardwired, no circuit boards, of course. I will also investigate this 'Ono' mentioned. I hope to find something as detailed as a Low Output MC coupled to a transformer, but I'm not holding my breath. To clarify, I don't tend to like American turntables. At all. Too much mass..... not enough speed, or decay/removal of noise. They apparently took a wrong turn in their understandings of how to deal with noise control.

Since it is a Stereophile review of given product, (Fremer's opinion) I have to generally take it with an American sized gain of salt when it comes to understanding of how the sound of such devices is understood to be - by that reviewer. Everything, well almost everything, I have heard that was reviewed by that magazine tends to be rather hard sounding to my ears. The class "A" stuff in their listings tends to be particularly awful stuff in the high frequency range. I am 39, and I can still hear to 18.5k or so. Just an opinion. :)

Ears!

Hi KBK,

I am 39, and I can still hear to 18.5k or so. Just an

Thats nice, I'm also 39 and thought that I was the only guy in this area (Utrecht, The Netherlands) that had an ear test to findout how sensitive my ears where. I can also hear up to 19K then it goes in to a kind of irritating noice!
And my right ear is slightly better than my left one, 17.something on the left.

I wonder if there are more forum members that ever tested on high freq!

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I wonder if there are more forum members that ever tested on high freq!

Yes, I had to in the context of a medical exam allowing me to join the now defunct Sabena Airlines company.

The lady doctor running the audiometric test could hardly believe the results.

I strongly believe you can train your senses and sharpen them way beyond average levels.

The blind people are a living testament of that.

Cheers, ;)

I'm in my forties and found it also comes down to loudness curves.

I have a CD with 1/3 octave warble tones. For the top tone I
needed a little more juice to hear it compared to a younger
colleague, but I could easily still hear it at lowish levels :
unlike a another colleague who appeared to have massive
hearing loss above around 8K, no wonder he likes horrendously
bright speakers. (10 years younger, hearing loss apparently
due to his military service).

Also agree with Franks musiings on the subject, one of the
frustrations with HiFi is that it seems one's ear/brain continually
improves its discrimination with practice. My HiFi, which isn't
particularly expensive, sounds faultless to most people.
(It is well balanced / tuned, and has excellent in-room bass)

I only wish I thought the same ..........

:) sreten.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

My HiFi, which isn't particularly expensive, sounds faultless to most people.

Because you tweaked and tuned it for best performance...

That's actually a very good point you made.

I still have to find a system that sounded at it's best without this procedure even stuff costing ten times as much needs to be chosen carefully for symbiosis and set up properly.

All that is a form of art on its own....

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.