tone arm lateral weight. missing ..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a pioneer PL112D. It's in great shape but, the lateral weight is missing.

I discovered that its about 6.5 grams .
Does anyone know an easy way to make something that would work?
Keep in mind the I only have access to hand tools and simple power tools like a drill and a Dremel.

BTW, yes I know how to adjust a lateral weight so, can I assume that the weight is not that critical as long as it's in the ball park?

In any event, I read where many just removed the lateral weight....... anyone know about that?\
Perhaps it's just an imaginary tweak? ;)

Last edited:
Update .......

The turntable was actually an e-Bay purchase made in the middle of a sudden sudden urge to get back into vinyl and I did not want to get something expensive.

Upon closer inspection of the pics last night on the e-Bay sight ( and in the Manual) I notice that there were a few other things missing or broken.

Fortunately, it being a holiday in the US yesterday, it was not shipped yet .
So, I the messaged the seller lat last night and he agreed to cancel the sale..
Live and learn.

BTW this was to be my first "S' shaped tome arm on a turntable that had any small semblance of some quality so, the lateral weight is somewhat new to me.

I still shed a little tear when I think of the pristine Thorens TD 160 with a Shure V15 type II that I basically abandoned years ago .......long story.

Anyway, I'm still looking. :)

Yes, that's what I meant .:)

It's my understanding that the lateral weight on an "S" shaped tone arm helps keep the the stylus centered in the groove even when the turntable is not perfectly level or, during play back of a warped record..

Am I correct on this?

I'm not sure Joe. What I do know is that it balances the mass of the arm that is offset to one side, if you imagine a line, perpendicular to the line of the vertical pivot bearings, over the top of the arm itself. The arm wand is offset to one side of this line.

I'm not sure Joe. What I do know is that it balances the mass of the arm that is offset to one side, if you imagine a line, perpendicular to the line of the vertical pivot bearings, over the top of the arm itself. The arm wand is offset to one side of this line.

The more I look at it, the more I believe you are correct ...... at least to a large degree.

With an "S" shaped tome arm like that, the lateral bearings on the gimbal has unequal load and the lateral weight balances the load.....as you said.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.