50 Hz turntable hum level

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice as to an acceptable level of 50 Hz hum from a turntable. I have a Rega P2 with a yellow Rega Exact mm cartridge and 24VAC motor.

The cartridge, tonearm wiring and preamp check out ok, however there is a 50Hz component present at increasing levels as the tonearm approaches the motor. With the motor on and arm raised the 50 Hz peak is at -65dB at the rest, -50dB over the first track, and -30 dB on the last track and . The rest of the spectrum is well below this, down to -100dB. The 50Hz level is typically just below 0dB during play of a track with bass present regardless of position.

The mains hum is only audible when you turn the amp up to max without the record tracking, not during normal play. I would have thought the mains noise would be less than it is. Am I just being too picky or would you try and improve on this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.