Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The high octane phono preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2017, 01:07 PM   #561
Freecrowder is offline Freecrowder  United States
diyAudio Member

Question: using an MC as source does the capacitance at the input matter? I can't seem to here a difference between any setting. If this is true could I not replace the capacitors with different value loading resistors for the MC cart?

The last 2 posts are interesting but the above is what I'm trying to get answers for.
Old 31st October 2017, 02:41 PM   #562
Freecrowder is offline Freecrowder  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine sounds way to tipped up in the treble compared to the Bottlehead w/CCS and the La Pacific. Looking for any mistakes in components tonight. The red board is a little confusing in component placement for R12, C13, C13B. The way I have it is the 2 caps straddling over the top of the R12, is this correct? I have made the mods of R12 to 698K, 220uF C7 with 1k series resistor after SENSEV and 820 R15. I would say that it is a little brighter now than stock circuit. Anyway will try and measure frequency response of Pacific and HO to quantify.
Old 6th November 2017, 06:53 AM   #563
miaminikko is offline miaminikko
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaminikko View Post
Hallo Hannes,

Gruss Gott,
I'd like a board, please let me know when they are available,

Vielen Danke,
Nick
Hello Hannes

or ...if possible can you PM me the latest Gerber ? I can try and have it made online,

cheers,
Nick
Old 7th November 2017, 11:28 AM   #564
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply voltage

Hi,

Understand that a 48 VDC power supply is recommended and some options (power brick / wall-wart type) was also discussed earlier.

Is there a range of acceptable voltages that will work (for example: from 46 VDC - 50 VDC) or the power supply has to be 48 volts DC only?
Old 19th November 2017, 07:31 PM   #565
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

The PCB Gerber doesn't seem to be available online anymore. I want to make my own pcb, homemade. I don't absolutely need the Gerber, but it would accelerate thing.
Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 10:15 AM   #566
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,

sorry for being always late in responding to your messages! Of course everyone can have the original Gerber files that came with the article - just mail me and be please a bit patient!

@Freecrowder:
This phono stage has very little input capacitance, which is good as adding caps to it is easy (that's what the dip switches are there for). You didn't mention what kind of cartridge you use, but if it's a true MM that adding capacitance is the way to form the treble to your taste. Please read also the article in LinearAudio, it explains a lot on the background.

The phono stage itself has not a bright or otherwise frequency response colored sound.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:17 AM   #567
diyAudio Member

Hannes,

Good to see you at the forums.

Any feedback on my question from the following post?

Old 24th November 2017, 10:43 AM   #568
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thank you!

Quote:
Is there a range of acceptable voltages that will work (for example: from 46 VDC - 50 VDC) or the power supply has to be 48 volts DC only?
In the original schematic I added a suitable supply range and I think it is pretty much the range you mention.

If the power supply dc is too low, the regulator cannot work properly. If the power supply dc is too high, the regulator overheats. But a few volts give or take are certainly no problem. In any case one can add a small heatsink to the regulator fet.
Old 24th November 2017, 11:08 AM   #569
diyAudio Member

Thank you Hannes for clarifying.
Old 16th December 2017, 10:20 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

Default STP55NF06FP Substitute?

Looks like STP55NF06FP currently out of stock at Mouser, Digikey, and Element14.

Any substitute you can suggest?

The high octane phono preampHide this!Advertise here!