Technics SL-1200 DC Power Supply

Hello All, I hate to chime in on the 25th page of this thread, but at the risk of being labeled total "newb" and other forum lingo that has evolved over the last two decades, I was wondering if I could get some guidance.

I moved to Sweden five years ago, and have longed for the days to have my turntables again. I now have one of them here and the other one is in the mail. They are technic 1200 MK2's. The one en route has a voltage switch, so I'm not too concerned about the mods I have to do on it.

However, the 1200 that I have here is only meant for 120VAC. Here are the specs:
Model: SL-1200MK2-A
Serial num: MJ7718F077

While there is a laundry list of things I'd like to do, the obvious challenge is how to retrofit a new transformer to safely use this thing on 230VAC. I'd like to do this internally to simply avoid clutter around my DJ rig.

My initial questions:

1. Is it simply a matter of removing the old transformer and replacing it with one capable of 230VAC?

2. Would this be an appropriate part for what I'm trying to do? Power Transformer for all Technics SL1200 / SL1210 - green-vinyl.com

3. Am I on a fools errand and about to electrocute myself into another dimension?

My electrical experience is minimal. I do have training from aircraft maintenance school, 13 years ago, however, I was also really good at drinking beer at that time.

Thanks for any links/guidance on this topic, I've been reading this thread and other resources. Cheers!

Hi,

1) basically yes .... You might need to change the input Fuse to half the original value also

2) why not use a SMPS? See the recent earlier answers. They are simple, easy to install and provide for a better result than the original ... and are much cheaper than any hyped ´dedicate analog audio power supply´

3) probabely not, but then ... You should always be cautious when dealing with >60V of voltage. And as Monthy Python prooved, it might just take a little leaf of mint to let You explode ;-)

jauu
Calvin

There is a switch suppressor capacitor on the PSU pcb that is rated 125VAC. Replace this cap to higher voltage type too if any conversion from lower to higher mains voltage.
I replaced it with a 3300pf/350V ceramic surpression capacitor. With the original capacitor, after transformer conversion, the cap will still trickle about 5VAC across the switch resulting in the 33rpm switch LED still lighted eventhough its off. Replacing to the CSC type eliminate this small issue. I use a 50VA toroidal transformer and modify the existing tranny bracket to install the toroid. It will sit inside that location very nicely after that.

Last edited:
2) why not use a SMPS? See the recent earlier answers. They are simple, easy to install and provide for a better result than the original ... and are much cheaper than any hyped ´dedicate analog audio power supply´

Thanks Calvin, does the SMPS imply an external device that would have to go wherever the turntable goes? It's something I was hoping to avoid, but if an internal transformer change might cause an excess buzzing, perhaps you're right.

Since I'm a DJ, sometimes these turntables will have to move around.

I would think just about any transformer will be rather random whether or not it will vibrate on an individual basis. I've had a few that are identical in specs, received with the same order and one vibrates and the other doesn't.

The most guarantees come by removing the transformer (and all AC) from the deck all together. Everything else will be subject to somewhat random outcomes due to individual product construction technique.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hey guys, I am refinishing my 1200's plinth and had a couple of questions about the strobe. Do you really need it on this deck? KAB says that eliminating the strobe reduces the noise and blah-blah, not sure I am buying that it is audible. So that is the one thing to remove it and disable the circuit. However, most important :) Check the photo of new sl-1500, I absolutely love that clean look without sl-1200 stylus light and turn on/strobe bulge :).
technics-sl-1500c-black.jpg