Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Technics SL-1200 DC Power Supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2021, 06:01 PM   #441
Packgrog is offline Packgrog  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Get the cork.
I would strongly disagree with this. I tried a large number of mats/playing surfaces. There was always something kind of shrill when using the Music Hall cork mat that I disliked strongly. The Achromat consistently proved to be the best for me on any platter when used with a reflex clamp or weight.

Best option would probably be the KAB Poly-Metal mat with a thinner (3mm) Achromat, and used with a record weight with Gary Koh's gem tweak. If you're staying away from clamps or weights, get the Reso-Mat instead. I didn't like the Reso-Mat with my original Technics, but I also never did the PSU mod, so the vibrations that I heard traveling through the points in the mat during quiet passages might have been eliminated with that and a bearing mod (KAB thrust plate kit is a mere $50 and likely well worth it).

I do wish that I had just done the PSU mod before selling mine off. I might have been happier with it in that case. Ah well.
Old 26th July 2021, 10:58 PM   #442
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I do agree that the Acromat is far and away the best. That said, I still feel that cork is better than the mentioned alternatives of the stock rubber, a DJ slipmat, and felt.

I haven’t tried the KAB mat, but would like the opportunity, all of Kevin’s upgrades for the -1200 that I’ve tried have been improvements.

Yes, you should have done the PSU mod. It’s awesome.
Old 27th July 2021, 04:07 PM   #443
Frabor is offline Frabor  United States
diyAudio Member

I came mostly from Digital Audio, such a clean field lol, measurements tell you most of the story, but in this brave new world, the old land of analog, there is a mix of raw measure data and personal subtleties; regarding reproduction aspects such as vibration management, everyone has a weighted opinion proportional to their usage and all opinions are correct within their framework. Awesome and confusing simultaneously.

Looking for low cost ways to refurb/ extend the lifetime of the spindle, I found this product, to be aapplied in the thrust plate. It seems it could reduce friction and wear and tear. Just wondering if anyone has use it before
LIQUID_TEFLON.jpg
Old 27th July 2021, 04:54 PM   #444
diyAudio Member

Not sure how that might interact with the thrust plate or bearing material. Better to get the KAB thrust plate replacement ($50) and add enough spindle oil to keep as much of the bearing covered as possible.
Old 27th July 2021, 07:21 PM   #445
Frabor is offline Frabor  United States
diyAudio Member

Agree, original spindle oil is a must. I have inspected and measured the my two plates and I estimate they still have more than 75% left.

The product is sprayable Teflon, and the KAB plate is made of Delrin AF, a material that has Delrin and Teflon on its composition. This may be a way to reduce the friction without buying new parts. I believe that if the thrust plate is acceptable in shape, expending those $50 in a case for the external PSU would be a better roi.

"Delrin® AF Blend is a unique thermoplastic material for use in moving parts in which low friction and long wear life are important. It is a combination of PTFE fibers uniformly dispersed in Delrin® acetal resin. This combination offers better wear characteristics than unfilled Delrin®."
Old 28th July 2021, 01:29 AM   #446
Eric is offline Eric  United States
Knows enough to be dangerous
diyAudio Member

As an alternative to replacing the stock feet, I’ve had good success with putting the whole TT on a 1-2” thick slab of walnut and putting a mostly deflated bicycle inner tube under the wood. This made a measurable difference (especially in the sub-100Hz region) in isolating the TT from general household “noise” and vibration.
Old 28th July 2021, 01:35 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

Curse you all, making me want to tinker with another Technics again... :P
Old 28th July 2021, 02:10 AM   #448
Eric is offline Eric  United States
Knows enough to be dangerous
diyAudio Member

Ha, if I had a dime for every time I’ve thought that after discovering this place 20 years ago…. I could probably build another amp or two…
Old 31st July 2021, 04:44 AM   #449
calipilot227 is offline calipilot227  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's the cork mat I like, from Turntable Toys. Same height as the stock mat, so no VTA issues:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For feet, I used the 2in sorbothane domes stuck to the bottom of the stock feet.

Both of these changes on their own yielded a noticeable improvement. The cork mat brought some air to the sound, and the sorbothane feet brought a sort of coherence that wasn't there before.

Then I did the power supply mod.

And sat there in disbelief for an entire album side before I could pick my jaw up off the floor. And then repeated the aforementioned phenomenon for several more albums. This was over six months ago and the amazement still has not faded. If you own a 1200, do yourself a favor and perform these three mods. You might not ever sell it. I know I won't.
  Reply to this post

Technics SL-1200 DC Power SupplyHide this!Advertise here!