Technics SL-1200 DC Power Supply

By the way, I just added a VERY thin piece of teflon tape between the bearing and its ceramic plate, and the spinning time from power off to platter stop was increased from 19 seconds to 32 :)
Using singer oil ATM

Damn I need to fix my phono to test how those things sound :)

Last edited:
What kind of tape? Plumbers thread tape?

Yeap exactly. The really really thin kind. I cannot even measure mine, and it is even more squeezed from the bearing. I have tried some thicker discs, like 1mm and 2mm and they did not work that nicely, probably because they have some strength and elasticity making the platter kind of bouncy. But the super thin one is just crashed flat by the bearing.
Run it diagonally. From the upper side of the left screw to the lower side of the right one, so that it passes nicely on top of the the ceramic cap and the bottom cover holds it tightly in place.

I left it spinning for a bit, and the time is now 33 seconds :)

Last edited:
Cool

I ve been working a bit on the prereg schematic to apply all the goodness from the first page to it.
I came up with that

attachment.php

I have included the filter caps, the protection and thermal drift diodes and selected a few values for components]

Any comments?

Attachments

• 317_prereg.jpg
    317_prereg.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,901

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This is rather similar. :)

When it's all said and done 75% of the improvement from any external PSU is getting the transformer out of the turntable. Then having really clean DC to the table is another 20%. Everything past that is the last 5%, and you can do it any way you would like.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I tell you what - send me your SL1200 and $1500. I will do all sorts of awesome mods to it, PSU and others, and I will send it back. You will be astounded at the improvement, as there will be quite few modifications made to the deck. It will sound just like mine, genuinely better, a significant and marked improvement from stock.

I also have a service for $2000 - it sounds better because it costs more.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I tell you what - send me your SL1200 and $1500. I will do all sorts of awesome mods to it, PSU and others, and I will send it back. You will be astounded at the improvement, as there will be quite few modifications made to the deck. It will sound just like mine, genuinely better, a significant and marked improvement from stock.

I also have a service for $2000 - it sounds better because it costs more.

naah

my option is better - send me just 499,99$ , keep TT at home and I'll do everything with my brain power

:devily:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
No, you must realize that the best option is to do both - I will do the Physical modifications, Zen will to the Metaphysical modifications.

All the best of both disciplines rotating at a perfect 33.3RPM. (Or 45, if you have some of those records...)