Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #3871
hottattoo is offline hottattoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a great source of jewel bearings / pivots for those making a linear tonearm. I got my bearings from them. USA source. Good luck

https://birdprecision.com/

Joe
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #3872
Apache100 is offline Apache100  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Best way to be sure is to try it!

Even Rega don't list the compliance figures for that cart on their website! Odd, as it's pretty important wrt the mass of your arm. Being MC though, I would have thought it will be low to medium compliance.
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM   #3873
Mike56 is offline Mike56
diyAudio Member

I think its the only working cartridge i have........an old ortofon vms 20e lurks around in a box, but is not comparable and needs different amp etc, it may not work either, so the Rega it will be, when i have the bits and assemble it all something will be revealed!!
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #3874
Mike56 is offline Mike56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache100 View Post

Even Rega don't list the compliance figures for that cart on their website! Odd, as it's pretty important wrt the mass of your arm. Being MC though, I would have thought it will be low to medium compliance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottattoo View Post
Here is a great source of jewel bearings / pivots for those making a linear tonearm. I got my bearings from them. USA source. Good luck

Bird Precision

Joe
Thanks for that, i also got a nice response from Dave at Swiss jewel, copied below, i may go the jewel way later!

Thank you for this inquiry- we have a few successful Tonearm customers and they implement our
Sapphire vee-jewels and pivots,

www.swissjewel.com

you can click on products then click on pivot

and then click on jewel bearings, and find “sapphire vee-jewels”

for tonearm gimbal pivots - the radius of the pivot should be 1/3rd less than the radius of the vee jewel – for a frictionless environment.

You can see the prices and buy a al care online

Average prices for vee-jewels and pivots are under $10 per piece with a $5.30 average price unit.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #3875
Apache100 is offline Apache100  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm about to experiment with this.

I've been thinking about an electronic way of applying lift / lower, but have got a bit carried away! This is the entire vertical movement part of the arm, using a de-sealed linear bearing, with the rod changed to acrylic so it doesnt carry the mag field to the cartridge. Lift / lower (and possibly tracking force) can be applied by activating the solenoid (probably slugged with a biggish capacitor to avoid rapid ascent and descent.

I'm thinking it may be possibly to apply tracking force by varying the voltage on the solenoid. It's a 6v for 30g pull one, (may not be sufficient but it's what I had around)

I've just put it together as a trial fit (I need to 'loosen' the link between solenoid and acrylic rod as it's a little tight) and just see what range of force I have, and then borrow a gauss meter from work to ensure I don't have too much field at the cartridge position.

Experimental at the moment, but would be neat if it works.

<edit>

Variable tracking force wont be possible with this type of solenoid, as the amount of pole piece inside the coils varies with the position. Duh, should've spotted this. It will require one with the pole piece passing right through and always being within the coils.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (62.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.6 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Apache100; Yesterday at 08:31 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #3876
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Because Rega expect you to use ALL their gear. I had an Apheta 2 and it was the worst cartridge I have ever had, sold it with less than 20hrs. My current Technics EPC205 with a Jico SAS out performed it in every way.

I suspect the Rega MC'c are very low compliance as I could hear music coming off the tonearm on the RP8/RB808/Apheta 2 from my listening position with the volume turned down.
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #3877
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm about to experiment with this.

I've been thinking about an electronic way of applying lift / lower, but have got a bit carried away! This is the entire vertical movement part of the arm, using a de-sealed linear bearing, with the rod changed to acrylic so it doesnt carry the mag field to the cartridge. Lift / lower (and possibly tracking force) can be applied by activating the solenoid (probably slugged with a biggish capacitor to avoid rapid ascent and descent.

I'm thinking it may be possibly to apply tracking force by varying the voltage on the solenoid. It's a 6v for 30g pull one, (may not be sufficient but it's what I had around)

I've just put it together as a trial fit (I need to 'loosen' the link between solenoid and acrylic rod as it's a little tight) and just see what range of force I have, and then borrow a gauss meter from work to ensure I don't have too much field at the cartridge position.

Experimental at the moment, but would be neat if it works.

<edit>

Variable tracking force wont be possible with this type of solenoid, as the amount of pole piece inside the coils varies with the position. Duh, should've spotted this. It will require one with the pole piece passing right through and always being within the coils.
I tried solenoid to do the lift with wireless remote control on my air-bearing arm. However, my application was different from yours. The cartridge picked some noise from the solenoid so I had to give it up although the noise level was very low.

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!