Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2020, 04:17 AM   #3661
terenceng is offline terenceng  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Out of curiosity, is there an opinion on passive vs active linear tracking arms? And if active linear tracking arms are superior, are there any opinions on Sony linear tracking arms with biotracer? Like the Sony ps-x555es. I wonder why hasn't these TOTL commercial turntables from 1980s like Sony/Denon/JVC that seemed to solved the damping issues of tonearm gaining traction in our modern times? If they do, then perhaps their linear tracking turntables must have been the solution to tracking error?

I haven't seen any commercial tonearm maker nowadays that utilizes the technology of the JVC/Sony/Denon electronic damping technology. Perhaps they do not have the expertise?
Old 20th May 2020, 03:02 PM   #3662
hjam is offline hjam  Canada
diyAudio Member

You're welcome.
By the way, the Carbide rings on Carbide rails works very well. I don't see any hint of wobble on the stylus. Thanks!
Old 20th May 2020, 03:04 PM   #3663
diyAudio Member

Niffy, that post was directed you.
Hugh
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:53 PM   #3664
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

I got a silly question..

With the bar just above the record.. Isn't it difficult to switch records?

I'm asking cause it's still in my mind to build one
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:19 PM   #3665
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

It would be if the rail was fixed. Mine is designed so the whole rail moves backwards to facilitate changing records. It's held forward by neodymium magnets.

Others have done it differently, Niffy's also moves back and others rotate away from the platter. I wanted mine to be mounted both sides of the rail to increase rigidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20200523_080831.jpg (873.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg P_20200523_080839.jpg (841.4 KB, 94 views)
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:34 PM   #3666
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceng View Post
Out of curiosity, is there an opinion on passive vs active linear tracking arms? And if active linear tracking arms are superior, are there any opinions on Sony linear tracking arms with biotracer? Like the Sony ps-x555es. I wonder why hasn't these TOTL commercial turntables from 1980s like Sony/Denon/JVC that seemed to solved the damping issues of tonearm gaining traction in our modern times? If they do, then perhaps their linear tracking turntables must have been the solution to tracking error?

I haven't seen any commercial tonearm maker nowadays that utilizes the technology of the JVC/Sony/Denon electronic damping technology. Perhaps they do not have the expertise?

Niffy did lot of research on tracking error and came to the conclusion that the improvement in sound by a LTA was not due to tracking error. A LTA still has tracking error to some degree. The improvement was in being able to use a very short/stiff arm, in Niffy's case putting the first bending mode at the top of the audio spectrum. Having the first bending mode this high in the audio band means all of the harmonics are well out of the audio band and attenuating high frequencies is easier than low frequencies.

To give an example a Rega RB300 was tested by HIFI World and the first bending mode was around 280Hz, what was interesting, the 3rd harmonic (840Hz) was considerably higher in amplitude. These resonances will modulate the audio signal causing a colouring/smearing of the sound.

So basically making the arm shorter will push the resonance higher in frequency as this is a product of length. Stiffness will attenuate the resonance.

I hope this goes someway to answering your question.
Old 23rd May 2020, 06:55 AM   #3667
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member

Ahh I see now why the short arm.. So basically Impervious to all compliance issue yes?

Also how do you adjust the vta.?
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:12 AM   #3668
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Niffy's knowledge was of great help in the initial phase of my Lil Casey project (thxs again), also because it debunks many established myths: common sense often does not help, with LTAs. So the arm length / VTA change issue has been already discussed around page 240, with surprising deductions; the tracking error /stylus bending on page 256.
As then, I would like to point out that the cantilever bending - due the carriage friction - has completely different consequences from true tracking error: in the first case there is some generator misalignment, in the second just a rotation of the tip, almost negligible with conical ones, less with elliptical or more sophisticated cuts (see # 2556 graph). That's why near 0 friction is so important for our LTAs
The issue of arm's resonances is exponentially complicated by the variables: the length of course, but also the weight, the materials, decoupling vs continuity, damping, bearings and so on. Unfortunately, lots of ink don't replace direct experience.

carlo
Hi AnthonyA - imho, the main reason to use so shorts arms is to reduce the torque on carriage: resonances out of audio-band are the consolation prize for needing a rotating or sliding rail for LP changing.

Last edited by nocdplz; 23rd May 2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:02 PM   #3669
niffy is offline niffy  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjam View Post
Niffy, that post was directed you.
Hugh
😁👍

Thanks Hugh. I've been making sawdust recently and not been keeping as close an eye on diyaudio as I normally do.

Niffy
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:02 PM   #3670
diyAudio Member

Default VTA and Record removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post
Ahh I see now why the short arm.. So basically Impervious to all compliance issue yes?

Also how do you adjust the vta.?
Anthony,

I was going to say there's not much about VTA in this thread, but Carlo points to page 240. I 'll have to look.

My TT has a suspended Platter and Armboard, which cuts down on my options for attaching the LTA. So, I have a pivot at the back which lets the entire assembly swing up. This allows easy record removal.

I would have preferred to use a tight 2-1/2" hinge for the pivot, but could not get out during the Covid period.

The Vernier in the front sets the Vertical Tracking angle. It can be adjusted while the record plays.

Please excuse the prototype appearance.

Hugh

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!