Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2020, 07:57 AM   #3521
niffy is offline niffy  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Dahlberg,

When I was using my steel on steel bearings I used them with a little bit of petroleum jelly. They seemed to run just a little bit smoother with it although this difference could have been within the error bar of my test rig. To be honest I couldn't hear any difference in sound with or without lubrication.
With ballrace bearings they definitely work better dry. With pin bearings it doesn't make a significant difference, not significant enough to be heard. As Warrjon mentioned, grease will trap dust. When I took the steel bearings off the arm after several months of use the petroleum jelly did look a tad hairy.

I would probably not use lubrication if I were to use steel bearings again.
I run the sapphire tungsten carbide bearings dry.

Niffy
Old 1st March 2020, 10:36 AM   #3522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlberg View Post
Prototyping looks like this at this moment. Titanium armtube (100x6x4mm),
aluminum carriage and cartridge mounting plate (70/75 alloy, 8mm thick).
Carriage should weigh in at 50-60g incl cartridge and counter weight.

Rods will be polished 6mm H6.

The arm will rotate at the base and there will be some additional functions
added as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/images/linear_18.png
Hi Dahlberg,

I seem to have missed this post. Looks like a good design. One of my earliest versions of the arm (which I didn't get working) used a rotational base. I do like the idea of rotating the arm away from the record either horizontally or vertically as with the clearaudio. A slide mechanism, as I use, requires an additional structure for the bars that will inevitably have a resonant character. A sliding system is simple and makes the dressing of the arm cables easier. My early prototype never seemed to lock into the same place meaning that the LTA varied. This is more a reflection on my design than on the idea of rotation.

If you are using 2mm wide wheels you will have a contact angle with the rail of over 40. Ideally I think that the contact angle should be 20-30. The absolute maximum would be 45 which you should just squeeze under depending on the edge profile of your wheels. Using 3mm wide wheels will reduce the contact angle to 30 but will dramatically increase vertical friction. During my testing period I built a rail and set of wheels that were 3mm wide with a contact angle of about 30. I actually built this rail expecting it to fail just to see if it would fail as predicted. It did. Vertical friction was too high causing vertical motion to be over-damped leading to a flattened sound. I would recommend using 4mm rods for your rail. I initially used borosilicate glass before moving on to tungsten carbide. A quick scan found this. It is also h6 tolerance.

Metric Silver Steel

Niffy
Old 1st March 2020, 01:36 PM   #3523
dahlberg is offline dahlberg  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Thanks, that's relevant information. I was a bit hesitant myself but it's still on the drawing board so no harm done.
Old 1st March 2020, 04:02 PM   #3524
diyAudio Member

Hi Dahlberg,

Have you calculated the vertical location of the centre of mass of the carriage Inc cartridge? Ideally it wants to be level with the vertical pivot point which will be a little over a millimetre above the bottom of the wheel (assuming you have 2mm wide wheels and a contact angle of 30). There is an argument for having the centre of mass slightly lower than the pivot point for stability reasons. It's not clear from the plan you posted what the mass distribution will be. It looks like the centre of mass will be above the pivot.
Another point that Jim raised a while ago is the importance of having a derail preventing mechanism. During normal play back this is not so important but during record changing it is. Jim nearly took out one of his collection of cartridges when he was changing a record on his early mechanical linear arm.

Niffy
Old 1st March 2020, 04:42 PM   #3525
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a suggestion for the protection mechanism.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p.jpg (28.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 1st March 2020, 06:56 PM   #3526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post

Jim
Hi Jim,

Perfect. It doesn't add unnecessary mass to the carriage and also acts as a dust guard for the rail.

Niffy
Old 1st March 2020, 07:28 PM   #3527
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post

Jim

Hi Jim,

That works well. I have an acrylic dust cover on my current setup attached to the rail with a channel machined into it for wheel clearance, it also prevents the carriage from de-railing.
Old 2nd March 2020, 06:50 AM   #3528
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

carriages, carriages
Hi all, watching at your incredible works I had an attack of "improve-algia"- Having finally found where to buy the square carbon tubes (R&G in Germany) I'm toying on these hypotheses (attachment) for a possible hyper super Lil Casey mk last.
Already made some quick prototypes and some tests with a kind of "sine bar" - simply various thickness-gauge blades put under one rail support to start the motion (stiction), o rto maintain it (friction) - Behaviors* are rather different from those seen with the inverse pendulum.

A solution - Total weight = 16 gr
friction - runs with a tilt of a 0,35 shim / 300mm rail. angle=04'1" = 0,067 decimal --- μ=0.0012
stiction - starts with a tilt of a 0,75 shim / 300mm rail. angle=08'36" = 0,143 decimal --- μ=0.0025
B solution - Total weight = 14 gr
friction - runs with a tilt of a 0,70 shim / 300mm rail. angle=08'1" = 0,141 decimal --- μ = 0.0024
stiction - starts with a tilt of a 1,10 shim / 300mm rail. angle=012'36" = 0,200 decimal --- μ = 0.0035
C solution - Total weight = 12 gr
friction - runs with a tilt of a 0,25 shim / 300mm rail. angle=02'52" = 0,047 decimal --- μ = 0.0008
stiction - starts with a tilt of a 0,65 shim / 300mm rail. angle=07'27" = 0,124 decimal --- μ = 0.0022

after all, not so bad for such common means, and a 5000 years old tech. The A solution is quite similar to the mk2, the B instead completely disappointing, the C may be the right one, even if difficult to make properly with my tools (better, without some tools)

carlo
*the measures are an average, obtained alternating the shims under the left and right support, to compensate for any deficiencies in the leveling of the base.
sine bar angles - calc
Sine Bar & Sine Vise Calculator - LittleMachineShop.com
angles - degrees to decimal - calc
Degrees,minutes,seconds to decimal degrees converter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC mk3 rails.jpg (125.0 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by nocdplz; 2nd March 2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:12 AM   #3529
diyAudio Member

So here are some alternative solutions with material that I actually have or have ordered (the rings haven't arrived yet). I only have one 5mm rod.
From left to right:
1: Dual rings and 6mm rods. Hight difference rings/rods 0,53mm.
2: One ring dual 6mm rods. Hight difference rings/rods 1,3mm.
3: Same but rods 1mm appart. Hight difference rings/rods 2mm.
4: Dual rings rods 1mm appart. Hight difference rings/rods 0,86mm.
5: 5mm rod dual rings 2mm appart. Hight difference rings/rods 0,6mm.
6: 5mm rod dual rings 2,5mm appart. Hight difference rings/rods 0,8mm.

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/images/linear_19.png
Old 2nd March 2020, 08:41 AM   #3530
diyAudio Member

Dual 4mm rods vs dual 2mm rings

http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/images/linear_20.png

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!