Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2019, 03:37 AM   #2651
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiten View Post
How does the ELP Laser turntable keeps track of the grooves ? May be it has a clue to make a high quality servo linear tonearm ?
Thanks and regards.
I said it before. It seems to me that ELP tracking system is a better one. It tracks the groove before stylus( reading laser heads for ELP). However, I guess that the laser heads for reading groove may be ok if they are slightly high or low and right or left( I can be wrong here), but not for a regular cartridge.

Last edited by super10018; 29th January 2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:56 AM   #2652
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Since twenty years there are around autopilots who "learn" to anticipate the movements of a sail boat, certainly more complex than those imposed by the eccentricity and variability of the pitch. Able to steer much better than me, and also cheap.
If we work hard we can perhaps invent a completely automated servo turntable, and discs that do not have all these damn problems, fought for a lifetime: beautiful silver Discs ... and Compact too.
noCDplz

I'm joking, but to accept completely the spirit of vinyl is a more fascinating challenge, imho
Old 29th January 2019, 08:33 AM   #2653
walterwalter is offline walterwalter  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
I said it before. It seems to me that ELP tracking system is a better one. It tracks the groove before stylus( reading laser heads for ELP). However, I guess that the laser heads for reading groove may be ok if they are slightly high or low and right or left( I can be wrong here), but not for a regular cartridge.
One of my friends-audiophiles from another city happened to see and hear a Laser Disc player, the one which was re-designed and re-adjusted to play regular LP. A former leading engineer from one of the former military equipment plants developed that project: of how to remake and re-adjust LD player to play LP, and he has built several of them. Actually, it works well. So, I can conclude, that there are perfect servo control ans sensor systems, fast and precise enough to linearly track a record. And they were developed long time ago.

Last edited by walterwalter; 29th January 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 29th January 2019, 01:48 PM   #2654
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwalter View Post
One of my friends-audiophiles from another city happened to see and hear a Laser Disc player, the one which was re-designed and re-adjusted to play regular LP. A former leading engineer from one of the former military equipment plants developed that project: of how to remake and re-adjust LD player to play LP, and he has built several of them. Actually, it works well. So, I can conclude, that there are perfect servo control ans sensor systems, fast and precise enough to linearly track a record. And they were developed long time ago.
I am not against all servo control arms. However, in most of cases, these servo control arms become merely showpieces in reality. In my mind, the state of art for LP playing back is simple structure. Kuzma 4-point and SAT arms are two of perfect examples. Btw, Kuzma’s air line is the only air bearing arm I admire highly.
Old 29th January 2019, 02:48 PM   #2655
Coolerooney is offline Coolerooney
diyAudio Member

Deleted

Last edited by Coolerooney; 29th January 2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #2656
diyAudio Member

Deleted-due to stupidity-hahaha
Old 29th January 2019, 06:14 PM   #2657
diyAudio Member

To clean up a bit-now that is control!

YouTube

Greets
Coolerooney

Last edited by Coolerooney; 29th January 2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 06:32 PM   #2658
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrayk View Post
I have some interesting servo control stuff of my own to post, but Iím saving that for a new thread.
I really look forward to the new thread. I was once dismissive of servo arms due to my lack of knowledge and understanding of servo technology (and I have owned multiple servo arms that were poorly executed). Admittedly, servo circuit is just as intimidating as having to deal with air-bearing, which is more about its hassle than anything. At one point I thought absolute geometry trumps all other criteria. I was wrong. To me lack of skating force is one of the few things that's more important than just total tangential accuracy. Analog playback is a complex system of conflicting forces and a servo system is one way to deal with those issues. Obviously there are outrageously pricey servo arms that seem too white elephant for my taste so if someone can create a servo system that's simple, elegant, and diy-able, all the better. I have come around to agree with Conrad Hoffman's idea of using a good pivot arm as the basis and build a moving platform for it to slide 4 inches of groove area.

Thank you for your contribution to these threads, Ray.

Last edited by directdriver; 29th January 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:06 PM   #2659
diyAudio Member

I second the active thread initiative- to you the honors, Ray
Old 31st January 2019, 06:51 AM   #2660
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directdriver View Post
I have come around to agree with Conrad Hoffman's idea of using a good pivot arm as the basis and build a moving platform for it to slide 4 inches of groove area.
Hello directdriver,

What C. Hoffman suggests in his post from 2010, has all been done decades ago, all the way back to the Rabco tonearm. I guess it's the "Tales of Hoffman."

Ralf

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!