Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #2591
niffy is offline niffy  England
diyAudio Member

Another attempt at downloading the chart

Jewel bearing.PNG

Niffy
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #2592
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlthess40 View Post
Who here has made a proper worker arm?
Hello carlthess40,

There are several of us "here" who have made proper working arms. I am one of them. Please look here:

A Revolutionary Pivoting Tangential Tone Arm

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #2593
niffy is offline niffy  England
diyAudio Member

S#!t Ralf,

That's one beautifully crafted arm. I seem to have missed your thread somehow. I'll definitely be studying your design in detail when I have time to give it the attention it looks like it deserves.

Hi carlthess40,

That's quite a challenging project. Looks like a very complex design. The main advantage of a linear tracking arm is not the reduction in lateral tracking error. The main advantage is that you can have a much shorter armtube. This massively increases rigidity and reduces colouration. The arm you showed looks like it has an armtube no shorter than a conventional arm so the main advantage has been lost.
Even if the arm has zero tracking error there will still be lateral tracking error on any eccentric record and virtually all records are eccentric to some degree. The average tracking error due to eccentricity on an average record is about 0.15-0.2į. If you really want to achieve zero tracking errors then you have to employ some method of centering your records. If you have perfectly centred records then you can't beat a passive air bearing arm. A servo arm requires a very small error in order to know how much to move and in which direction. With an air bearing on a perfectly centered record you wouldn't even get this small error. You also wouldn't have the complex mechanism which is highly likely to have a negative effect on system resonance.
I don't mean to be disparaging but I would be remiss in not pointing out that a servo linear arm doesn't really solve the problem it sets out to solve. Still a fascinating project and I wish you success.

Niffy
Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM   #2594
super10018 is online now super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Niffy,

I suspect that an active arm can track all the eccentricity so closely. Therefore, a passive arm may do better job than an active one.

Jim
Old Today, 12:25 AM   #2595
carlthess40 is online now carlthess40  United States
diyAudio Member

I no longer can build things like that any longer. I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and arthritis and Iíve already had two back surgeries and need one more
I am a highly accomplished machinist with the wood and metal and also a very accomplished welder. Iíve been a master mechanic for 45 years and with all of the years of doing this type of work has taken a toll on my body
I was hoping to find someone who has one or who can make one to a certain level that I could finish or take over a project
I do agree with you 100% that you do need to have the length of the arm as short as possible, the longer the arm, the less stiffness you have and the arm and start to transfer some vibrations through the arm itself from the needle. Itís basic engineering and physics
I just wish my hands would work a 1/10 of a%
As what my Head has gone through it with ideas for making turntables and arms
I have a bunch of 1 1/2 bulletproof glass that I am wanting to make a turntable out of It
I just need to get out to my brothers and use his shop and start milling and running the lathe to make some parts

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!