Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2018, 04:27 PM   #2371
walterwalter is offline walterwalter  Ukraine
diyAudio Member

Lcsaszar, yes, but they are working only while arm doesn't play a record. While playing, they have no contact with each other.
Super10018, as to friction, designer did measurements, and it is really negligible, pretty same as with air bearing.
As for me, I've never seen such an immune to vibration arm.
Anyway, it is an unusual design, and it is different from everything else. And, by the way, it seems to be working very well. Definitely no nonsense.
Old 13th November 2018, 06:59 PM   #2372
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, the major issue for designing linear arm and pivot arm alike is to deal with unwanted vibrations from groove, not external vibrations which are transmitted through the base of tonearm.
Old 13th November 2018, 07:49 PM   #2373
diyAudio Member

Yes, but if the arm is prone to excitement and resonances, it will get them both ways. And contrary...
Old 14th November 2018, 06:09 AM   #2374
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

~Thirty years ago, a man by the name of Watanabe patented a floating tone arm very much like the Russian one. It was quite sophisticated in that it used magnetic repulsion to keep the float from contacting the tub. At the bottom of the tub were three troughs filled with mercury and the bottom of the float had three electrodes in contact with the mercury for signal transmission. The liquid was a dielectric oil, to prevent shortening the mercury. I have the patent somewhere and when I find it, I'll post it. His name sounds Japanese, but he may be British because his English sounded that way when I corresponded with him.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 14th November 2018, 07:42 AM   #2375
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Tracker View Post
a man by the name of Watanabe
Hello again,

I am going to sneak in here under the cover of darkness (it's 12:33 AM in Arizona) to correct a grave mistake I made. The inventor's name is Alexander R. Rangabe. He patented the floating tone arm (3,235,267A) in 1966 and his patent also proposed guide rollers like the Russian Patent.

I don't know how I came up with Watanabe, but he also was active as an inventor of tone arms and phono cartridges.

Mr. Rangabe, if you read this, my sincerest apologies.

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 14th November 2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 14th November 2018, 08:09 AM   #2376
diyAudio Member

Default Chatter and rumble

Hi all. As to hearing and possibly measuring unwanted resonances, bearing and shell chatter and so on, I have used the simplest solution possible. It may be applied to tangent arms as well. Cartridge used was Ortofon VMS20, the stylus placed on the top of the arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010698.JPG (59.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg P1010701.JPG (73.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 14th November 2018, 08:15 AM   #2377
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

bathing tonearms

Here a well-known series of articles on a floating linear TA, online from several years: interesting considerations on motion geometry.
Here in Italy someone used the buoyancy of a front float instead of the rear counterweight in a pivoted tonearm. Funny

https://xyplo.blogspot.com/2016/10/b...r-tonearm.html

carlo

great Walter, better than my stethoscope
Old 14th November 2018, 01:17 PM   #2378
diyAudio Member

nocdplz, actually, my first attempt was with a tiny microphone, and it failed. MM cart appeared to be much more sensitive, and you can clearly hear everything in any location of the arm or turntable. As to floating arm, my first thought was to apply a magnet guide instead of rollers. However, with a liquid it is inevitably unstable...Russian patent rules IMO.
Old 14th November 2018, 01:50 PM   #2379
nocdplz is offline nocdplz
diyAudio Member

Walter, today one would rip the resonances from your second cartridge and subtract it digitally from the music of the first one, finally getting the pure sound of a CD...
no CD plz
Old 14th November 2018, 02:58 PM   #2380
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwalter View Post
nocdplz, actually, my first attempt was with a tiny microphone, and it failed. MM cart appeared to be much more sensitive, and you can clearly hear everything in any location of the arm or turntable. As to floating arm, my first thought was to apply a magnet guide instead of rollers. However, with a liquid it is inevitably unstable...Russian patent rules IMO.
That is very clever method. So, the stylus directly contacts the arm? I would like to try it later on.

About floating arm, I thought to make one which floated on a thin film of air. It doesn't need high pressure air at all since the load is very low. However, I gave up the idea because I think there is better solution already, why make things complicated. It is basically a moving pivot arm.

Last edited by super10018; 14th November 2018 at 03:01 PM.

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!