Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY linear tonearm
DIY linear tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2016, 03:19 PM   #2261
hottattoo is offline hottattoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Happy Holidays to everyone !!!!

Perhaps a high end cartridge could be built into / on a linear arm wand where the concept could experimented on without the need the micro "surgery" in making a cartridge. It would be easier to work on an sealed up / shielded after completion. High end cantilevers with diamond mounted can be bought. Thinking outside the box or in this case the cartridge. Just a thought !!
Old 19th December 2016, 03:54 PM   #2262
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally, I like this one although I have never heard it.

DS Audio DS Master1 Optical CartridgeMusical Surroundings

I have been modifying Denon DL-103R for a while. DL-103R is a low compliance MC cartridge. Medium and low compliance MC cartridges work extremely well with linear arms. It is perfect to listen to jazz with my modified DL-103R with my air bearing linear arms. But for classical music, it somewhat lacks texture in the mid range frequency.
Old 19th December 2016, 06:51 PM   #2263
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niffy View Post
The amount of cool stuff you find never ceases to amaze me.
I just google more.

Here are some more fun projects. Appears to be DIY efforts on the Neumann DST.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

This site needs to be translated from Japanese but it's full of info!

Oops, I'm off topic again! Please go back to your regular program!
Old 20th December 2016, 02:06 PM   #2264
Stefanoo is offline Stefanoo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by super10018 View Post
Personally, I like this one although I have never heard it.

DS Audio DS Master1 Optical CartridgeMusical Surroundings

I have been modifying Denon DL-103R for a while. DL-103R is a low compliance MC cartridge. Medium and low compliance MC cartridges work extremely well with linear arms. It is perfect to listen to jazz with my modified DL-103R with my air bearing linear arms. But for classical music, it somewhat lacks texture in the mid range frequency.
I have listened to the previous version last year.. To be honest it seems good for certain aspects such as distortion on highly modulated passages and also seems to be quieter.
Nevertheless, the sound was bloomy with an edge on the upper register. It didn't sound too natural and neutral to me.
However, if the price is factored in with phono and cartridge at 7-8K total, I think it was a bargain and not sure much, much better could have been done at that price point, maybe only in term of natural and flow of sound pretty much!
They might have improved upon the precious one, so this one could be interesting and also looks like it has an interesting chassis for the phono section, so I am not sure and I hope to listen to it next April at the Axpona Audio show!

EDIT: I haven't listened to it last year but two years ago and this model was already available last year at a substantial 20K. I probably did not stop listening to it as I though it was the same product I have already auditioned and didn't like very much. So this next show I will definitely go listen to it with careful attention!

Last edited by Stefanoo; 20th December 2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20th December 2016, 02:24 PM   #2265
niffy is offline niffy  England
diyAudio Member

We really are "tangential" to the thread at the moment.

Niffy
Old 29th December 2016, 01:13 PM   #2266
BrassnWood is offline BrassnWood  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Still having a good Christmas:-)

To bring us back on Topic again then ......
...... Being the owner of ‘my version’ of Tom's Floater (it is truly amazing), I enjoyed reading the comments between Tom & Niffy I couldn't keep up fully with either of them re. resonance however, I still enjoy making other’s designs:-)
I am now at the final tuning stage, temp. fixed on my modified 'Old' Rega Planer 3, alongside my Roksan Tabriz 'Z'
I have not yet made a direct comparison to any other arm but, I do like this one very much.
You can see from the pics. that I have used the Pin Bearing approach, which is working perfectly on 4mm glass.
I came back from London [Tuesday] with my family after seeing the Musical 'Beautiful' (What a fantastic show) & have just finished listening to her (Carole King) Tapestry LP using my 'copy of Niffy's Black Stealth Bomber Arm'
It's my Wife's LP she had when she was a teenager but I am not allowed to tell you how long ago that was!!!!
It sounded great & IF I get time to compare with other arms I have, then I will write it up for you all.
GC
ps. Anyone else made the ‘Niffy’ version???
pps. Good to hear from you Tom; are you still getting out on the Push bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carriage.jpg (386.2 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg Pin Bearings.jpg (421.0 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg Playing.jpg (399.8 KB, 603 views)
Old 3rd January 2017, 04:50 PM   #2267
niffy is offline niffy  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Geoff,

Nice looking arm, looks kinda familiar.

A couple of questions. Well more than a couple.

What is the total mass including cartridge?
What thickness of carbon fibre sheet did you use? It looks thicker than the 0.75mm I used. I notice that you have aligned the outer weave at 0/90°, I had my carbon fibre specially laid up with the surface at +/-45° and the inner at 0°. It's slightly counterintuitive but the +/-45° layup is actually significantly more rigid longitudinally and torsionally than 0/90°.
Did you use balsa cores and if so did you use it end grain?
How are the cables exited?
What are you using for bearings? Are they jewelled?
How is the rail moved to facilitate record changing?

Most importantly how does it sound?

It's great to see a copy of the arm. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Niffy
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:06 PM   #2268
BrassnWood is offline BrassnWood  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Tiffy Response

Hi Niffy,
From the top then ......
Total mass fairly heavy, just short of 60gms.
The c/f was leftover from the garage junk bin @ 1.5mm
Balsa core end grain used, each layer @ 90deg
As I have it mounted temporary on my Rega, the wiring comes out of the brass tube & terminates direct into my Phono RCA's. The wires laying over the Tabriz Z arm
Bearings cheap & cheerful - Stainless wheels; Ally with only small countersink [no jewel]; & Ballpoint Pen tips. I accept your advice re marked difference in sound with the jewels etc. but for me it is working very well so far & it was Very cheap:-)
The Stealth as is - mounted in place using a couple of clips I made; so just remove clips & the whole unit moves to the side ..... Simples! I havn't decided how to mount it to my main system yet so I don't need to use the 4mm screw which contacts on keyway of shaft
& the big question - How does it sound? Very pleased with the results, it's big test to come when I get the chance to compare it with Tom's 'Floater'

Thanks to you for the idea - the continueing project is keeping me Happy
GC
Old 9th January 2017, 04:08 PM   #2269
directdriver is offline directdriver  United States
diyAudio Member

Default To Swing Or Not To Swing

Here are two videos showing the same mechnical linear tonearm, one with a fixed headshell and one with a pivot or swing headshell (a la RS Labs). The test record obviously is slightly eccentric as you can see the wavering of whole arm assembly on the arm with fixed headshell. And the one with pivot/swing headshell wavering of the headshell and dragging the assembly and there's noticeable roller bearings sticking, not very smooth. Whatever conclusion you can draw from them, at least you can see their dynamic behaviors. The test tone is also audibly different. If the test record is perfectly concentric, will the two arms track the same, at least visually?

Video with fixed headshell

Video with swing headshell

I also wonder if the signal wires introduce some compliance to the motion as the headshell video shows some horizontal "bounce."

In the end, what is more desirable? Also the swinging arm reminds me of the "floating" arm that it introduces pivot motion.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 9th January 2017, 07:29 PM   #2270
Tom Bloem is offline Tom Bloem  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@directdriver,

An eccentric record is a catastrophe for a tangential tonearm. However, when the eccentricity is below 0,1 mm the to and fro movement is reduced to a “stop and start” movement (because the distance between 2 adjacent grooves is about 0,1 mm). See the diagram about the influence of the eccentricity in relation to the stability of the frequencies. The alternating sound in both videos shows that the effect – represented in the diagram – is real.

The linearity of a tonearm is important – the tip of the stylus at right angles to the spindle of the platter – but the most important property is the freedom of the tonearm. When the tonearm is not perfect tangential it influences the start and end of the highest vibrations (frequencies) of the modulated groove. Thus one of the channels starts and ends a certain frequency a bit earlier. Fortunately, we cannot hear high frequencies (> 10 kHz) very well.

However, when the tonearm is rigid in the sideward directions (by construction/by mass), the stylus is forced to move within a “straight jacket”. The video’s show the sideward force to the tip of the stylus because we see the cantilever “bow” to both directions (the fixed headshell the most). The only way to reduce this big disadvantage of a tangential tonearm is centring records. A servo mechanism will help to reduce this force for the whole trajectory of the tonearm but it cannot eliminate the sideward forces by the eccentricity of the record. In other words, there are 2 disadvantages: a pulsating frequency during every turn of the platter by the eccentricity of the record and a deformation of the stereo amplitudes by the sideward push of the walls of the groove. The “swing headshell” will reduce the influence of the latter a bit.

DIY linear tonearmHide this!Advertise here!