Hagerman Bugle 2

Hoping to finalize the correct grounding scheme for my diy bugle 2.

I first built it into a plastic chassis according to the build guide and had a terrible rf frequency and hum at mid to high level. I then transferred the build into a metal chassis with all the connections at the back of the unit.

- rcas are isolated
-turntable ground is isolated
- extra ground lug attached to the case

I noticed hooking it up just like the plastic case I get the same hum and radio channel, but when I add another ground wire from the lug on the chassis to the body of my integrated amp, the sound shuts off.

Wondering if I’m just experiencing poorly shielded turntable cables on my vintage Sony 2400 or if I am running my ground wires incorrectly. When I move the cables around and position the phono correctly, the sound lessens but still there at higher volumes.

Any help is appreciated.

I got my bugle working after installing shielded cables and routing my signal cables away from power cables. Works and sounds great.

I went ahead and built my second bugle, but a problem I ran into is the voltages are showing 24V and not 12V on the power test points. Could this be a sign of a bad rail splitter?

Pins 8 on the opamps show 18-20V and not the approximate 10V.

Hoping to finalize the correct grounding scheme for my diy bugle 2.

I first built it into a plastic chassis according to the build guide and had a terrible rf frequency and hum at mid to high level. I then transferred the build into a metal chassis with all the connections at the back of the unit.

- rcas are isolated
-turntable ground is isolated
- extra ground lug attached to the case

I noticed hooking it up just like the plastic case I get the same hum and radio channel, but when I add another ground wire from the lug on the chassis to the body of my integrated amp, the sound shuts off.

Wondering if I’m just experiencing poorly shielded turntable cables on my vintage Sony 2400 or if I am running my ground wires incorrectly. When I move the cables around and position the phono correctly, the sound lessens but still there at higher volumes.

Any help is appreciated.

You said:

- rcas are isolated <-- yes, they absolutely need to be isolated from the metal case!

-turntable ground is isolated <-- what do you mean by this? Isolated from what?

- extra ground lug attached to the case <-- I presume you scraped off the coating on the inside of the case, around the hole for the ground lug? And used a lock-washer (to bite into the base metal)?

Your trouble is ... the Bugle case is not earthed to mains. When you "added another ground wire from the lug on the Bugle case to the body of your integrated amp (does this integrated amp have a ground terminal and does it have a 3-core power cable?)", you said the sound shuts off. I presume you meant "the same hum and radio channel shuts off"?

If so - that's because that ground wire from the lug on the Bugle case to the body of your integrated amp ... earthed the Bugle case.

Andy

Joined 2017
Paid Member
finally

I had my bugle 2 built and measured, but not tested, quite some tome ago.
It just sat in my workshop waiting for its day.
Now it has come, I finally had the occasion to (for a short time—my other halve isn't into hifi-gear) drop it into my home-system (a modest system, rega planar 3 and rega cartridge :eek: , audiolab 8000a, and ATC scm7). Although not to say it was bad, I never really was impressed by the audiolab's phono performance.

The bugle 2 absolutely truly definitely is a good step forward. It's just more open, clear, and much more dynamic.

It is good!

Reactions: 1 user