Hagerman Bugle 2

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Does anyone has an idea if it´s worthwhile to change the TLE2426 to a package type with Noise Reduction Pin?

The ouput noise voltage will drop from 120µV to 30µV and the line ripple rejection is improved.

A small adapter could handle this like on the attached picture.

Attachments

• adaptle-1.0-populated.jpg
    adaptle-1.0-populated.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,203
  • tle2426.pdf
    366.9 KB · Views: 186
I know this is an ancient thread - simply answering in case someone is contemplating to order the Bugle from Europe. I ordered a Bugle 3 recently and it arrived roughly within one week (was not home, so cannot tell exactly). Should've gotten a kit - more fun building it.

My Bugle is breaking in now. I can already say that record noise is significantly lower compared to other phonos I used.

I know this is an ancient thread - simply answering in case someone is contemplating to order the Bugle from Europe. I ordered a Bugle 3 recently and it arrived roughly within one week (was not home, so cannot tell exactly). Should've gotten a kit - more fun building it.

My Bugle is breaking in now. I can already say that record noise is significantly lower compared to other phonos I used.

Great to hear, nb.

BTW, I believe Jim Hagerman no longer offers kits - only fully made up products.

I have heard the Cornet 3, too - that's a damn fine phono stage, as well. :)

Andy

Andy, it looks at if Jim's at least still selling PCBs, so people might have to to order parts by themselves. Did you have a chance to compare the Bugle and the Cornet?

I have been thinking about the Cornet as well, but then I would need an additional sut or pre-pre, so not sure it is woth the effort. I have a MC cartridge but only used my phono stage mc input until now.

Nik

Andy, it looks at if Jim's at least still selling PCBs, so people might have to to order parts by themselves.

Nik

Aah, I didn't know that, Nik. I emailed Jim last year about a kit (forget which one it was) and he responded by saying that he had given up selling DIY stuff.

Did you have a chance to compare the Bugle and the Cornet?

A mate of mine has both - although his Bugle only has MM gain. So we were able to directly compare Bugle with Cornet 2 - and the Cornet sounds better!

Now, Jim sells the Cornet 3 - I've compared this to the Cornet 2 and it sounds the same ... but is quieter! :)

I have been thinking about the Cornet as well, but then I would need an additional sut or pre-pre, so not sure it is woth the effort. I have a MC cartridge but only used my phono stage mc input until now.

Sure, with your MC, you will have to use a SUT - or, better IMO, a 'head amp' - with a Cornet.

Andy

I think that your Bugle was fully broken-in long before the first LP was finished playing.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Anyway I am also thinking of getting the Bugle 2 board, but I will need MM & MC, is this possible from the one board.:confused:

The Bugle 3 is different from the 2 in this - " It improves on the Bugle2 by adding small internal switches to select various Gain and Loading options, easily accommodating any MM or MC cartridge."

Bugle3 - Phono Preamp MM/MC – Hagerman Audio Labs

You could add some switches to the 2, or some header pins as I did in the guide - honestly, how often are you switching cartridges?

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg