Opinions on commercial Rega Planar 3 turntable upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've already rewired my tonearm, now considering next moves. The two I'm most interested in are the Groovetracer subplatter replacement and the upgrade motor from Rega - each are around $250. I have noticed also another steel subplatter out there from some guy in Argentina, usually somewhat cheaper. Some upgrade to an acrylic or Delrin platter, but I'm not so sure everyone agrees this is a big improvement from the glass platter. Can anyone give me some input on any of these, or other things you've done or heard of that give big bang for the buck improvement?

Dump the moulded subplatter, they are never round and are the cause of the Rega's poor wow. Some are better than others but variability is high. The one on my P5 was high/low twice per revolution and out by a maximum of .2mm at one point. I know it does not sound like much, but the effects of having the edge skimmed at my local machine shop was both audible and measurable. This was back before anyone made an aftermarket part.

After that get the Tt-psu and 24v motor. Anything you choose to do after that is more a matter of 'tuning' than improving IME. I ended up with a laminate block plinth and acrylic platter and lived with that for a few years before moving on to other decks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.