Swiss Physics model 5 preamp MM phono input

Hi All,
Recently I bought a 2nd hand Swiss Physics model 5 pre-amp and find there is problem with the mm phono input.
The Swiss Physics has two phono input (MC & MM). I have tried 2 MM heads (AT140ML & Shure V15VxMR), 2 TT (Thorens TD321/SME3009R & Rega Planar 3) with Swiss Physics MM, all the combination sound poor, blur (not clear).

I try a AT-F3II mc head/Thorens TD321 with Swiss Physics mc input, it sounds bright and great. Also try AT-F3II mc head with AT660T/OCC (Transformer for MC phono cartridge) connect to Swiss Physics MM input, select AT660T to 3ohm, it also sounds bright and great.

Any idea what is going wrong with the Shure (& A140ML)/Swiss Pyhsics MM combination?
I don't have the manual for Swiss Physics and don't know if the previous owner has modified anything. Thanks in advance.

Specification of the 3 pickup:

AT140ML mm
Output voltage 5.0mV
Coil impedance 3.2kohm (1 kHz)
DC resistance 790 ohm
Coil inductance 490 mH
Load resistance 47 kohm
Load capacitance 100 ~ 200 pF

Shure V15VxMR mm
Output voltage 3 mV
DC resistance 1000 ohm
Coil inductance 425 mH
Load resistance 47 kohm
Load Capacitance 250 pF

AT-F3II mc
Output voltage 0.35mV
Coil impedance 12 ohm (1 kHz)
DC resistance 12 ohm
Coil inductance 50 uH
Load resistance 100 ohm, 200 ohm

sounds like loading problems the MC cartridge and
transformer can deal with but the MM cartridges can't.

Do results vary with the transformer setting ?

You should be able to trace the MM input. Check input R
is not too low, should be 47K, and look for loading capacitors.

Also of interest is how the MM/MC switching is achieved.

:) sreten.

Hi Eric....I have a used Swiss Physics model 6A power amp and I have been unable to find any source for Manuals, schematics, spec.sheets, or any other info that I can use in repairing the unit. Do you know of any place where I can obtain any of this info? I would be greatful for a reply.
Thank you and greetings from San Francisco, California!
Besr Regards, Cole Johnson

Swiss 6A

I have this power amp, and have gathered some information and data , as well as fixed the weak point related to cooling fans (and a humming instability) . But no idea of what happened to the "genius designer" del Nobile or schematic information for the amplifier. It had a absurd price in Norway, but was soon sold for 1/3 and hit the 2handmarked. Its sound quality and looks have levels then makes a change out of the question driving new JM lab Diva Utopias.

Thor O Jensen, Norway

Swiss Physics

Hi Thor.....Wow, I had forgotten that I had published this request....Thanks for the response. ANY info about this amp and I will be greatful. This was given to me after it had made a fall down a stairwell. It appears that the damage was to the wooden case, the fan control module, and one side of the power supply caps. This capacitor array cought fire when I powered it ON. I need to re-assemble it correctly this time ( and power up with a variac). Does this amp preform well when functioning? The build quality looks very good. Any leed for a schematic (or anything else)? My e-mail is coletiff58@yahoo.com
P.S. Love your name! Very few "Thor's" in San Francisco. Is he the guy with the hammer? Don't **** with Thor!
Thank you, Cole

Service Adress

Hi folks,

I got a Problem with a Swiss Physics Amp too.
It is a "Model 3" preamp. It was hit by lightning into the mains.
The power transformer and a regulationboard (a capsuled blackbox) are jammed.
So I don`t even know what voltages are supplied.:(

After a lot of searching I found the adress of the shop that bought up the parts and schematics of "Swiss Physics".

It is:

Mr. Trimigliozzi
Audiovision Sàrl
Route de Bussy 14, 1530 Payerne/VD
0041 0 26 660 85 15

This is in the french speaking part of switzerland.
One of the people at the shop also speaks german.

But they don`t sell any spareparts or schematics. The only oppinion is to send the amplifier to switzerland for repair.:xeye:

If I only knew which voltages are generated on the regulation boards and served by the Transformer it would help a lot to fix this outstanding manufactured Amp. :angel:

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hallo Ralf, wollte kurz nachfragen, ob der Fall noch aktuell ist. Ich konnte vor kurzem die "leftovers" der Swiss Physics-Fabrikation übernehmen, vielleicht ist da was für Dich dabei (Trafo allerdings leider nicht !) Grüsse aus CH Sigi

:cop:

English only please. RULES

Hi Ralf, wanted to just ask, whether the case is still current. I could accept the "leftovers" of the Swiss physics factory recently, perhaps what is there for you (transformer but unfortunately not!) Greetings from CH SIGI

Hi Sigi,
Hi Cole, same question to you as to the other users in this thread : is the case still actual ? I just recently could aquire the leftovers of Swiss Physics fabrication, there are a lot of these voltage doublers beside the cooling system, as you need one I guess. I've got schematics too. Best regards Sigi
Hi Sigi,

do you still have the cooling fans for the power amp? It became very noisy after the years. Further, I need a new power supply for my pre amp as I can´t find it anymore after moving. I could built it myself but I would need the supply voltages of the power suppy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards, Mario