Turntable issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, i'm a complete novice to these forums and to hi-fi in general.

I recently unearthed all my dad's old lps, and i'd planned on buying him a turntable for x-mas to play them on.

He currently has an old Bang & Olufson stereo all in one (CD/Tape/amp/radio), with 2 big speakers running off that, so i had originally planned to hook the turntable up to that, and run it from there, using those speakers.

I had a shufty round the back of the thing and saw this which has thrown me. I have no idea what they are. Do i need things with those connectors, or can i get an adapter to connect to those? Are they special B&O only sockets or something?

I'm completely stuck as to what to do now, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

ta

It's a DIN socket, fairly standard in Europe and UK for many years. All 5 connectors (L+, L-, R+, R-, GND) are wired into the one connector rather than 2 RCA's.

You can buy cables that run from the tonearm base that are already terminated in the correct DIN, or simply cut the RCA's off the existing TT cable and solder it all up. The connectors are cheap, thogh they can be a be-atch to work with on the really cheap ones.

It's been a long time since I soldered one of these up, but IIRC,

2 - Screen and earth
3 - L+
5 - R+

HTH

good brett is trying to help but >>>

the phono input (which is the one one you want) as are all
the others is the rare as proverbial seven pin DIN socket.

Brett is referring to the five pin DIN, not sure the same
numbering applies to the seven pin DIN.

Its best to contact B&O to confirm connection details>

:) sreten

Re: good brett is trying to help but >>>

sreten said:
Brett is referring to the five pin DIN, not sure the same
numbering applies to the seven pin DIN.

I didn't wait for the entire image to download as it was so large, and I'm on a very slow dial-up, so I assumed it was a 5 pin. I've never seen a 7 pin DIN on anything.

As suggested, it's probably best to try B&O. But if they're really expensive or n/a, maybe replace the 7 pin, or put some small flying leads with RCA's.

Hi,

I doubt you will be able to find a suitable adaptor. The video
adaptor will probably have more than two connections and
be fitted with phono plugs, not sockets.
If you could find an adaptor the extra cable capacitance it adds
could cause problems with the treble resonse of the turntable.

You need to find a seven pin DIN plug and have it soldered to
your turntable IMO. You need to find some-one who does know
what they are doing, especially if the turntable has a separate
earth wire.

:) /sreten.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I have just found it and I think you folks might have the answer to my question.

I have an old TV which has a 7-pin input and I am attempting to use this with one of those wireless video transmitter/receiver systems so we can watch videos and cable TV upstairs on the old tv.

The receiver has three RCA outputs so I have soldered together a lead connecting the three RCAs to the 7-pin (actually an 8-pin but I snapped off the 8th pin and it fits fine). After some trial and error in pin wiring I can now receive either a perfect picture or perfect sound (in mono, through either the left or right input or both) through my lead.

What is strange is that if I connect the video AND audio outputs from the receiver box to the TV at the same time, using my homemade lead, I only get a distorted picture and the sound signal is replaced by a buzz.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be, and what I can do about it? Is it something to do with shielding the wires in my lead? Would a professionally-made lead sort out the problem or is it more likely to be an incompatibility between the TV (a SANYO model) and the wireless receiver (a no-name Hong Kong piece of kit from ebay)?

Any advice or ideas, however obscure, most welcome.

Thanks!

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.