Electrolyt as DC blocking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I have been working with diy in 40 years and tried almost everything . Still think the electrolyts ( Silmic II ) do a great job. Still think everything starting with M is **** . Also I can;t see anything on your scoop. Is it paper on the sceen or ???

Also I have experienced the electrolyts is starting to leak dc from 12 V and up depending off impedance.

Yes, I have tried and compared film to electrolitycs. Replaced elcaps or bipolars with styroflex or polycarbon in a couple of CDs, amps (SS & VT). The difference is huge across the whole spectrum of music.
See here also: The "Sound" of Capacitors

Yes the difference is huge but electrolyts are best for music reproduction. And I have heard arguments like yours and followed them too many years.

Now after 40 years I love my sound. Have only 4 filmcaps (KP 100 nf.) in my setup from CD media to loudspeaker units.

The 4 is after my Music Raills for my Holton Amps.

Yes the difference is huge but electrolyts are best for music reproduction. And I have heard arguments like yours and followed them too many years.

Now after 40 years I love my sound. Have only 4 filmcaps (KP 100 nf.) in my setup from CD media to loudspeaker units.

The 4 is after my Music Raills for my Holton Amps.

Good for you then. I would be grateful to get familiar with arguments and numbers which are pro eletrolytic caps in the signal path. It is possible that I err.

Bateman is recommending back to back bi-polar for lowest distortion when you must use electrolytics.
But if the distortion is that low then maybe the reason for preferring electroytics might disappear along with the distortion.

Bateman also says high voltage does not give improved performance. He suggest around 50V if my first very quick scan has remembered correctly.

His papers were linked very recently in another Thread.

My rules of thumb: use electrolytics only when there is no other alternative ;)
Usually in the power supply beyond a certain voltage/capacitance. Try avoiding it in input/interstage/output coupling wherever possible. Except if you like coloured sound :D Bypass it with a proper value film cap if you have to use it anyway.

Yes, use electrolytics when they are appropriate. This means when you need high capacitance values, can cope with the leakage current, and not where the capacitor sets the LF rolloff. Everywhere else don't use them.

Don't be frightened of them, as some people seem to be, but don't choose them deliberately unless you like a bit of distortion with your music.

Bypassing with a film cap can be a mixed blessing. Depends on application and electrolytic ESR.

Yes, use electrolytics when they are appropriate. This means when you need high capacitance values, can cope with the leakage current, and not where the capacitor sets the LF rolloff. Everywhere else don't use them.

Don't be frightened of them, as some people seem to be, but don't choose them deliberately unless you like a bit of distortion with your music.

Bypassing with a film cap can be a mixed blessing. Depends on application and electrolytic ESR.

:) Bad electrolyts ARE for sure bad :) Discover sound of MODERN types. We have 2012 and not 1970.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.