Dual 601 shure m75-6s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings!
Found a great working dual 601 at the recycle yard the other day! amazing condition (except for dust cover) with a dual m75-6s cart on it (soon changing to a shure m97xe). Would love to hear your thoughts and or recommendations on this turntable/Cart.

Also i have a Luxman pd-284 that has a few issues which i will need another 284 to fix. Is it worth it? or is the 601 a better turntable?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings!
Found a great working dual 601 at the recycle yard the other day! amazing condition (except for dust cover) with a dual m75-6s cart on it (soon changing to a shure m97xe). Would love to hear your thoughts and or recommendations on this turntable/Cart.

Also i have a Luxman pd-284 that has a few issues which i will need another 284 to fix. Is it worth it? or is the 601 a better turntable?

Thanks in advance!

Shure M75-6S: Spherical tip, tracked at 3 grams. BOTL (bottom of the line) . Leave it at the recycle yard. The new Shure is much better and should work well with your Dual.

Shure carts have been overrated/hyped for decades.
Most carts are superior to shure.
DO buy a spherical as opposed to elliptical stylus though.
These are MUCH gentler on the record's grooves and also easier to set accurately.
I bought a Shure M97 Era IV in 1979? and am still using it. Up to 5 or 6 hours a week now. Not hearing any surface deterioration of the records. Other than dust which can mostly be washed off.
By contrast, my Grado FTE bought 1973? shattered the diamond tip in 18 months. And the 1961? ADC cartridge that came with the AR turntable in 1970 wouldn't track ATCO records or anything with much velocity, even with a new needle assy in 1970.
But the M75 tracks too heavy for records to last more than a few plays, IMHO. I'm using 1.5 g with the M97.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.