MY PARADISE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bit an pieces of my Paradise Build
I don't want to spoil the MPP tread with my stuff as I am definetley not an expert (first time I build sometink so coplex with discretes)

I have already the V2 running and is so good that I wanted to make a second one with the new revised boards

This will give me the opportunity to fiddle with it.

So V3 will be built almost to speck and later I will use existing boards to change components and make back to back listening test.

In the mean time I have been working on the pre-regulator boards.

I have tried same R cores from Selectronic.
I have to say I was a bit disappointed as having ordered 50 VA 24 24 V they sent me 30 VA by mistake
They where quite good as they sent the replacement 50 VA free of charge
So now I am lucky owner of 2 of each :D

But maybe not so lucky as the AC output is not the 24 V I was expecting

I have on no load conditions 33.7 and 33.6 VAC from the 30 VA
And 31.15 and 30.89 Vac from the 50 VA

This X 1.471 give me 49 V DC with no load of the 30 VA units and drop to about 45 with 150 mA load so far to much for paradise.

It is possible to take a few turns off from the windings due to the R core construction (but take a fair amount of time and patience) and reduce the Voltage output but why bother

So especially if you are in the UK with our nominal 240 V ac mains those are not recommended besides the 260 mV difference between the 2 secondary in one of the 50 VA is another indication of poor construction.

So I am going to use those for another project and going to order same different trafos

Attachments

• Preregulator 001.jpg
    Preregulator 001.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Preregulator 002.jpg
    Preregulator 002.jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 1,233
  • Preregulator 003.jpg
    Preregulator 003.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Preregulator 004.jpg
    Preregulator 004.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 1,071
When I purchased some R cores for the pearl 2 awhile back I had the same issues,., way off on their ratings of voltages. Way more than stated.
Is it too much trouble for these sellers to use a DVM and actually measure what they sell and be accurate for once??

Regards
David

When I purchased some R cores for the pearl 2 awhile back I had the same issues,., way off on their ratings of voltages. Way more than stated.
Is it too much trouble for these sellers to use a DVM and actually measure what they sell and be accurate for once??

Regards
David

Tanks for confirming that I am not the only one having problems.

Altrought they may be in to specification in the continent where Ac voltagge is 230 V ac nominal.

Still the difference of voltagess between 2 secondary is the worst I have seen in a long time (260 mV)

You can use a series resistor to drop the voltage or chokes that drop some voltage in their DC resistance. Too much is better then too little.

Tanks Joachim

I have on it a Futaba 0.47R to split the large capacitor from the 2 FC 1800 uF
this can I supose go up to 4.7 Homs
Stiil 33 V ac out of a 24 V ac rated one is far to much at present (with 0.47R)
I get 42 V DC out under a 160 mA load

This is to much for Paradise as maximum Voltagge shuld be about 35 V

The Soket is from RS pno 297-6713
ITT 10 A 7 pole
I am using this one as I have already been using it in the past.(there is cheaper stuff out there)
The box is in Stainless Steel 304 grade NON magnetic.
Same for the Paradise Phono stage
Pain in the but to cut and drill and stick togheter even with captive nuts
I am going to get new one with folded sides so is going to need Just 4 screws instead of 60:D (but then I will not be able to say I made it )

But at least now I know dimentions are prety right.

Just need my signature granite fronts to make it prety.
So now I got bench cleared up I can tidy up and back on Balanced tomorow

Last edited:
I will try to post here from now on if there is any doubt about how much I like the Paradise I hope it will be dissipated by the amount of Effort and Dosh I throw in to it

Just got today new enclosures for the paradise.

Instead of 60 + screws and captive nuts those are down to 4 each.

They don't look like much at the moment and there is a fair bit of work to be done with cooper lining and such so for now the protective plastic stays on.

From close by I am asking myself if I have found a rare Craftsman with Pride in his work that made them for me

On another front I was asking about component selection and tolerance

The answer to that IMO should have been.
"You Silly Billy are looking in wrong place 1% is fine and does not amount to much."
So if you are doing this to learn new things maybe this helps a bit.
Current Mirror

I have been playing with it for hours as right click on components let you change same values.
Nothing to do with paradise and nothing special to you I know...

Attachments

• Stainless Steel box.jpg
    Stainless Steel box.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 579
Same progress on the Phono Box
Copper inner skin and divider between PSU and RIAA board parts

I will make same holes outside the cooper Skin on SS box and extend the existing cooling fin with same cooper sheet

This is just rough first take for now

Attachments

• Phono boxroug 001.jpg
    Phono boxroug 001.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 379
  • Phono boxroug 002.jpg
    Phono boxroug 002.jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 388
  • Phono boxroug 003.jpg
    Phono boxroug 003.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 304
Progress is in progress slowly and whit great pain :D
SWAMBO to be taken in to account as Dremmel make to much noise.

About reaching Paradise I did a while ago this baby sound realy good (sometink realy special IMO) and it was hard to take off the system to rework enclosure.

Any way Stainless box has now 2 windows covered with stainless stell mesh
Cooperextention to on board regulators further PCB with extra CRC
The bent piece of copper on first picture will be screen between PSU and PHONO parts of the pcb (Those PCB are realy clever ;))

I aim to keep regulator cool and Phono part screaned thermal balance inside phono part may be an issue...

Attachments

• Phono boxroug 004.jpg
    Phono boxroug 004.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Phono boxroug 005.jpg
    Phono boxroug 005.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 163
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.