Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

thanks for posting this ap note.
Here is a quote from it, which is basically all we need in this case

"The most cost effective approach of designing layout 2 0.066 square inches copper pad directly under the package, without occupying additional board space, can increase the maximum power from approximately 1.1 to 1.3W."

I am surprise that doubling the pad top and bottom doesn't yeald to better results!!!

Where would the heat from the bottom go? I believe I have seen someone do an smd pad with through holes/vias and pads on both sides. I can see how this might possibly increase cooling due to tunnel effect of the holes, but it is a guess.

yeah that's what I mean. It's unclear on the document where vias are, it almost look like they had bottom pad with no vias, but that wouldn't make any sense, so I am assuming the test had proper vias.
Either way if I can achieve 1.1W with only top pad I can use bottom for routing and I don't need more than 0.5W dissipation anyway and the 50% margin is what I uausally try to aim on my designs for reliability (wherever and whenever it's possible)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.