turntable design and build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all-
I am looking to design a turntable. I am an avid woodworker but only a fair engineer in terms of exacting specifications. I am hoping that someone out there might have some plans so I could design a turntable. I am looking for something along the lines of what the clearaudio innovation has.
I live in Los Angeles and would be willing to meet with anyone in the area that has built before for some tips and tricks as well as getting a better understanding of what I am about to involve myself in.
I have looked into quite a few diy sites but mostly I find pictures of finished projects and not a whole lot in terms of a full set of plans and specs.

Thanks for taking your time to talk to a newbie.

Hi ijp,
I think the Clearaudio Innovation design is a great model for your DIY project. I have a thread drive turntable that offers a couple of variations on the Clearaudio layout that you may want to consider. These differences would make it a little easier on you from a fabrication perspective and offer some sonic advantages as well for a DIY design. The Acoustic Signature Final Tool that I have puts the motor in an enclosure separate from the platter and bearing --- easier to isolate the motor noise and vibration that way. It would make your woodworking easier too (if you're planning to use lots of wood in your build), in that you could just build a simple round enclosure for the motor if you wanted, and a simple round base for the bearing and platter.

The tonearm mount is an outrigger arrangement that bolts on to the bottom of the platter base. Again, simpler to fabricate than a completely integrated base that holds motor, platter, tonearm mount.

Your key components are the motor and bearing.
I'm sure there are other threads in this forum that cover possible options and recommendations for those components.

I would let your woodworking creativity drive a lot of your choices around how you want the enclosures to look. I would go for the simple round design, but you might want to do something a little more creative based on your skills. If I did a wood base, I'd strongly consider ebony. I like the look, it machines well on my lathe (metalworking), and my sense is that it's denser than most wood, making it a better analog to the heavy metal foundations that most people like to use for their turntables.
Cheers,
BB

Attachments

• Finaltoolwint.jpg
    Finaltoolwint.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
BB
do you have plans for the thread drive turntable that you have posted? I am mostly concerned with the dimension requirements in regards to the armboard to platter relationship, and as I understand I need the motor spindle to be level with that of the bering so there is no wobble in the table. Did you make that turntable? Its really cool.

Aurora-
I have seen that gallery before that is quite the beautiful TT and I love the arm board.

Aurora -
I frequent that site quite a bit and love some of the designs there, of course none actually give any plans for their designs. Loads and loads of great looking projects though. :D

At one time I came across a drawing (well a plan drawing anyways) of a DaVinci turntable and have been trying to extrapolate from the plan some info but only having 1 sheet doesn't really help but it sure does pique my interest even more and of course create far more questions!!!

http://www.soundscapehifi.com/images/da-vinci-aas-gabriel-dimensions_LRG.jpg

I ventured into this several years ago, when the Teres project was still a DIY thing. I also made a bearing along the original drawings, but didn't take it further, for several reasons. I also have a Thorens 125 and a Lenco 85, so I'm not pressed.

A central part is the bearing, and one of the choices you'll have to make is to buy or make one - or have one made.... Bearing and platter combos can also be bought.....but that also leaves you with the question of a suitable motor with supply and/or controller.

Several classic designs are popular as upgrade projects. Idler wheel models like the old Garrards and Thorens 124 seems to popular models, as is the Lenco 75. With good woodworking skills some very nice upgrades can be made.

If you really need a drawing for a platter or bearing, I have some on another disc - wil take me some time to dig through...

Aurora-
Any drawing would be of great help and I am in no rush as I am still in the research and development stage, which seems like I am in a constant state there of. I could really use a platter drawing, the bearing I am going to buy but if your drawing of the bearing will help me to further understand the design concept I would happily look at that as well.
Thanks so much for your help!!!
:)

Acoustic Signature Final tool

ijp
The turntable in my original message is manufactured by Acoustic Signature, a German outfit. I bought one and have modified it a bit. I fabricated a round tonearm mount for the Graham tonearm in the attached photo, then more recently, I built a new outrigger arm and tonearm mount (the big round cylinder) on which the Trans-Fi Terminator linear air bearing tonearm sits (great model for a DIY tonearm project too!)

Since it's a manufactured table, I don't have drawings, but the platter is 12-3/16" in diameter. It's just a hair under 2" tall.

In terms of getting the motor and spindle bearing lined up, and getting tonearm-to-platter geometry set, the answer is to build adjustability into the design:
The 3 spiked feet underneath the platter base on the Final Tool are adjustable. This allows you to level the table, but would also allow you to precisely set the relation between motor height and platter spindle bearing if you wanted. The outrigger arm on which my tonearm is mounted to the platter base with bolts has slots instead of just holes. With the slot, you can adjust the effective length of the outrigger to set your tonearm pivot wherever it needs to be for the tonearm you want to use.
BB

Attachments

• Final Tool Terminator.jpg
    Final Tool Terminator.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
D.I.Y. Thorens based gyrodec tribute with Ladegaard arm

Hi,
I built my own turntable a couple of years ago, based on a Thorens td160 that I have had for years that was looking a little worse for wear. I used the platter and bearing + motor and springs, styled on the Gyrodec by Mitchell the base is made from mdf spray painted silver. Originally I had used the thorens arm but recently I built my own arm based on a design by Poul Ladegaard.

If you are going to build your own turntable I seriously recommend you look into this arm and Incorporate it into you final design, the arm you can see in the picture cost less than £50 to build and this includes £25 for the air pump it can be built using simple tools (drills junior hacksaw etc.) and it sounds great most noticeable on the final tracks on Lp's where the zero tacking error digs out extra detail that is normally hidden by by the more compressed inner grooves.

Attachments

• SDC13990.jpg
    SDC13990.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 334
Unfortunately, building a turntable is not really like building a piece of furniture (for example), it very much more like constructing a hybrid between a piece of precision measuring equipment and a musical instrument. Any, 'how to' plans are likely to be extremely simplistic and gloss over, or ignore, the significant complexities at work. Ultimately, it depends on how high a performance level you wish to achieve.

ReferenceTurntableJPEG1.jpg

This deck has been in development for nearly 20 years and even since this picture was taken the record clamp has been improved and so has an element of the drive system.

Last edited:
Hi,

Style over substance is endemic in general turntable design, and sorting
the style from the substance not easy, and mainly a very personal task.

Experimentation is better than dogma, I've built / rebuilt a few and
have some idea what works for me, but nowhere near definitive.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.