Doug Self's New Preamp Construction and Pictures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Geoff, I would still be interested to hear about what kind of noise / hum you experience when you turn up the volume completely (without playing music of course).
Apologies for not responding sooner (I've been away visiting children/grand-children).

My Elektra MM/MC stage isn't currently in service (I have a MM-only design of my own currently in place). Once I get a few hours spare, I'll refit the Elektra unit, run some checks then post the results here. However, that won't be until towards the end of the coming week as we have the grand-children due for a few days stay during their school half-term break (perils of living close to the seaside in a beautiful part of England). More soon...

Apologies for not responding sooner (I've been away visiting children/grand-children).

My Elektra MM/MC stage isn't currently in service (I have a MM-only design of my own currently in place). Once I get a few hours spare, I'll refit the Elektra unit, run some checks then post the results here. However, that won't be until towards the end of the coming week as we have the grand-children due for a few days stay during their school half-term break (perils of living close to the seaside in a beautiful part of England). More soon...

No worries Geoff, I appreciate your assistance.

As a result of a lot of testing I can confirm that the preamp is extremely sensitive to magnetic interference. I'm currently considering creating a screen box in copper around the PCB...

The grounding certainly needs some attention.
The phono preamp PCB is very sensitive to interference pickup. I did some testing by moving my toroidal transformer around. Toroidal transformers are known to have far less magnetic stray fields. But the preamp picks up hum even when the transformer is some 25 centimeters away!

I'm suspecting this is due to the way grounding is laid out on the PCB. The screening is also use to connect various ground connections for components. This is not a good idea. Elektor should have implemented star grounding on the PCB. The shield should only be shield and not to be used to connect ground to different components.

I still need some further testing and experimenting on the matter.
Will keep you posted.

When using the shield as 'shield only' you only connect 1 end to ground. This serves to 'shield' the signal from stray interference.

I asked about
How viable would it be to have standoff pins soldered in the places of C1, R1, C8, C35, R13 & R61 so that the components could be soldered to the standoff pins rather than remove the Phono pcb & solder the components?
this to avoid having to remove the MM/MC pcb when testing the values of the components for the cartridges?

I'm having a task to find black toggles switches, as my case is black.
In the BOM list BOM-110650-4_front-v1.2, it lists the switches as: -
SWITCH, SPDT (On-On), Multicomp, 1MS1T1B5M1QE, S1-S3, Farnell code 9473378.
But in Farnell's web site this switch is given as a 'Toggle Switch, SPDT, On-None-On.

On checking it's switching, when the actuator is moved the centre leg switches to either one or the other contact legs and does not have a centre OFF position.

Is this switch ON-ON or what type is it or should it be?

But in Farnell's web site this switch is given as a 'Toggle Switch, SPDT, On-None-On.

On checking it's switching, when the actuator is moved the centre leg switches to either one or the other contact legs and does not have a centre OFF position.

The Farnell description is correct for that part and would be fine in the Elektra circuit (but not for your black panel).

The switch can be either SPST (that gives just a centre leg and one other contact leg) or SPDT (that give three legs - a centre leg which switches between itself and one of the two other legs corresponding to the direction that the switch lever is in)

Last edited:
I asked about this to avoid having to remove the MM/MC pcb when testing the values of the components for the cartridges?

The Farnell part is indeed the correct type you need.

An alternative is Farnell part 2375579
This switch has a black toggle bar. but the rest of the body is still silver. It will be difficult to find such a black switch.

Another alternative is to use the original quoted switch and have only the toggle bar exposed like in the attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Well thanks for your inputs guys.

Indeed the recommended Farnell switch in the web site shows it as On-None-On.
Having ordered some a while ago, I've checked today and the switches actually have marked on them On-On, being SPDT types. The middle contact leg makes continuity to either of the outer legs depending which way its switched, with no centre Off position.

As my case is black and already drilled for these toggle switches, then ive got no choice than to remove them & apply a light coat of black spray to them.
Can't find anywhere a black toggle switch On-None-On or is it On-On?

Delange you've done a great job on your case!

As my case is black and already drilled for these toggle switches, then ive got no choice than to remove them & apply a light coat of black spray to them.

The paint will probably not stick to well to the switches. It's a very smooth material and the layer of paint will be very sensitive to scratches.

Can't find anywhere a black toggle switch On-None-On or is it On-On?

"On-None-On" and "On-On" is the same thing.
But "On-Off-On" is different; this switch has three positions instead of two.

Delange you've done a great job on your case!

Thanks Calpe. I'm planning something similar for the phono preamp.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.