Paradise Builders

No mistake possible: this is the one :D. DIYer are good at reusing ;).
Glad the package made it safely through customs, where it was held several days.

Cheers - Pierre

Here a (small) update. One of the positive supplies has been cleared of oscillation's. I'm still not sure why the method as used did work and why it was needed, this is a tough cookie to uncook :) More work needs to be done to fined the definitive answer to all questions concerning misbehaving Paradise PSU's.

OK!
Finally i have gotten the R-cores mounted, cut the pcbs off and just wired to the block transformer outputs instead.
Have just checked that there is no HUM :)
Just one question for Frans - what was minimum input voltage to the regulators? i have approx 26.2 - 26.4v out from each phase now - that is within the limits?

A very big "Thank You" to all who have wished me well and have offered to help. The major problem - apart from hearing difficulty - is that my balance is very unreliable. BUT that is not always there - just a day or so a week. We have really good doctors here in S.Scotland………(Had a bad hernia repaired in March without one tiny problem).:). Also I cannot drink more than 2 glasses of wine without falling over.:mad::mad::mad:

Joachim, I seem to remember that a friend of yours has hearing problems and that despite that can hear recorded music at a critical level; that gives me a lot of cheer. As I am I can hear pretty well, but not in true stereo. (The main trouble is in crowded rooms….I tend to avoid parties, meetings etc. But that is probably more from the wisdom which comes with age than with hearing difficulty.;)).

I am however building a new power-amp and pre. (The Paradise decision was more to do with requiring more gain than with difficulty in building. I must now root back in my Mac to find a schematic which Joachim kindly sent me a couple of years ago. As my filing is based on today's needs rather than long term needs, "deep litter" filing, that may take some time!!:eek:)

I will of course continue to lurk and post the odd off-topic contribution.

OK!
Finally i have gotten the R-cores mounted, cut the pcbs off and just wired to the block transformer outputs instead.
Have just checked that there is no HUM :)
Just one question for Frans - what was minimum input voltage to the regulators? i have approx 26.2 - 26.4v out from each phase now - that is within the limits?

26V is nice, 25V is absolute minimum. If watched on a scope, the average should be 26V (or slightly higher) and the minimums on the waveform should be above 25V (not below!).

Here a (small) update. One of the positive supplies has been cleared of oscillation's. I'm still not sure why the method as used did work and why it was needed, this is a tough cookie to uncook :) More work needs to be done to fined the definitive answer to all questions concerning misbehaving Paradise PSU's.

And the next update :) Sorry for the time this is costing me, but I really want to get to the bottom of this. One of the LED's (L111) of the CVS (positive supply) was removed and both LED's checked, the removed LED had a forward voltage of more then 2Volts (that is suspect) and it was replaced, after this still some oscillation. Q103, Q104 and Q102 where removed and replaced by checked D44H11, BC337-40 and BC337-30, after this the oscillation where the same. A 2n2 compensation capacitor on Q104 was installed, this halved the oscillation's. C101 was removed and checked, it measured 8uF and 2ohm(esr). C101 was not replaced all oscillation's are gone.

This channel is done, later this week I do the negative supply on this PSU if the same treatment gives the same result then we know more, fingers x'ed.

I would also like to give an update - after more listening time I'm pretty convinced that the Paradise sounds better with the buffers (in my setup) and I encourage everybody to try it. Overall the clarity and directness of the reproduction is amazing. As a bonus my current build is absolutely quiet. Even when I hear very loud and I'm changing records there is nothing . No hum, no noise, nothing - sometimes I have a quick look at the LED to make sure the thing is actually still switched on. Having a lot of fun right now - thanks again.

Sven

Hi,

seeing all those shiny lights reminds of that Rocky Horror Picture Show scene where Brad and Janet arrive at Frankensteins place at a rainy night and sing:

"In the velvet darkness ... of the blackest night
burning bright ... there´s a guiding star
No matter what or who, who you are
There´s a light .... over at the RollE2k place.
There´s a light ... burning in the Paradise
There´s a light, a light ... in the darkness
of everybody´s Life.
The darkness must go ... down the river of night´s dreaming
Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming
into my life, into my life
of everybody´s Life."
:D

jauu
Calvin

I love it :) :hypno2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vK2u4y7J58I

Hi,

seeing all those shiny lights reminds of that Rocky Horror Picture Show scene where Brad and Janet arrive at Frankensteins place at a rainy night and sing:

"In the velvet darkness ... of the blackest night
burning bright ... there´s a guiding star
No matter what or who, who you are
of everybody´s Life.
The darkness must go ... down the river of night´s dreaming
Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming
into my life, into my life
of everybody´s Life."
:D

jauu
Calvin

Ok!

Finally finished all small details to the Phono-stage and PSU. Now i just need a new TT-motor so i finally can test the phono stage!
Maybe i just plug it into the amplifier to check that there is no hum or oscillations in any way.
But here are pictures of my build until that!

Lovely build! What size of case are you using for the phono-stage? It looks like a perfect fit.

Lovely build! What size of case are you using for the phono-stage? It looks like a perfect fit.

Thanks alot, i'm quite satisfied with the case - although if you have higher input voltage to the regulator - or high current, then i would probably change to ventilation even in the bottom, it's only ventilation in the top right now.

The case external dimensions is approx (W x D x H) 32 x 25 x 7cm, and internal is dimensions is approx 30 x 23,5 x 6,2 cm.

The PSU case is only 82mm high inside - so i had to change the large caps to 30mm ones, since the 35mm ones made it to tight for my taste.