My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Thanks, esls, but I've cleaned single records many, many times!
I just don't see or hear any differences compared to cleaning 3 at a time, spaced by 1". (And 2" spacing would only allow 2 records in the tank, or else I'd be less than 2" from the side walls.) Cleaning more than 3 at a time, yes, results do get worse.

For me, I see/hear no benefit to space 2" apart in a 60 kHz or higher frequency machine.
Best,
B B

Last edited:
BC, that's another interesting possibility. Someone should do that.

Ben, at a spacing of less than one wavelength, there is no surface disturbance in the interstices. More than one wavelength, clear surface disturbance, which means we have a clear physical effect at the wavelength boundary.

Just an update on the Herbach & Rademan 5 RPH motor.. I was told that I was shipped the last one and that the H1 series of motors has been discontinued. I guess future builders will have to source different motors if they wanted to go that route.

I did find the following which might help some folks:

SYNCHRON - 32953R-24 - Motor, AC. Synchronous 120VAC 1/10RPH.

Bummer on the H&R motors. Thanks for the update jmc.

But the link you provided is for a 1/10 rev per HOUR motor, not 1/10 rev per minute. That motor takes 10 hours to do a complete revolution! That might be a little too long to leave your LP in the ultrasonic bath. ;-)
Cheers,
B B

A quick question for you folks that have been using their cleaners for a while. How well do they remove oils? I've a few records that seems to have some kind of oily residue left from either sleeves or the manufacturing process. Will water, isopropyl, and photoflo remove this type of crud? Or will they need some other type of cleaning first?

JM, oils are usually best removed with other oils, or detergents. Further, alcohols or other solvents in significant concentration can form explosive aerosols around a US machine, so caution is indicated.

I found a further advance by heroically rinsing after immersion in the detergent solution - four rinses, one of them with purified running water. After the fourth rinse, water streams from the record like water from a freshly waxed fender.

I do not use photo-flo, but I do use purified water. I want no residue of any kind on my records.

Interesting.. I was hoping to get away from the multistep cleaning I use on my DIY Loricraft clone but for a few stubborn records, I guess whatever it takes..

Tell me more about your detergent bath/immersion. I'm assuming this is separate from your US cleaner?

FWIW, I was only going to use the the small amount of isopropyl mentioned numerous times in this thread ;)

FWIW I've only cleaned a couple of hundred records using a 60 KHZ system and about 20 with my 80 KHZ system. I go to thrift stores, garage/estate sales and used record stores. Needless to say some of the vinyl I get is pretty gnarly dirty. Where the dirt is chunked on your going to have to get at it by hand. The 60 or 80 does not handle the caked on goo. So a little spot cleaning may be necessary (just like your laundry). I find the 60 is a little more aggressive for dirtier records whereas the 80 really give a nice detail cleaning. Heat also makes a big difference. Running at room temp did an ok job but at 105 to 115 F made a big difference. My cleaning solution so far has been 2-3 ounces of 99% IPA per gallon of Distilled water with several drops of Triton x 114. I have yet to try Britemax Grime-out but will use on the next nasty batch of records I clean as a spot cleaner. For spot cleaning I use 99% IPA undiluted and/or a little dish soap with a que-tip.

Last edited:
JM, the detergent immersion I referred to is just the US cleaner. I use Versa-Clean from Fisher Scientific, which is especially recommended for plastics, in distilled water. Concentration is at the minimum recommended for clean records, maximum for grunge. Then four rinses, five for grunge.

ZG, I agree, a coarser cleaner is sometimes called for. My Elmasonic has a 37 KHz setting, which cleans caked grunge in about 30 minutes.

Right JM.

I clean with US in detergent for 15 minutes, then rinse in running filtered water, rinse twice in baths of filtered water, and rinse in a bath of distilled water.

I came to heroic rinsing when I noticed that the first batch of records shed water differently. Then I noticed how much retipping my cartridge would cost, and am now in the process of re-rinsing everything.

As for spot cleaning, I have used contact lens cleaner successfully. It is designed to not mar an optical plastic surface, and it should be good enough for vinyl, if applied and worked lightly.

BB, I got another question for you.. I purchased the 9/32 extension rods from that diving supply house you listed in your BOM. What are you using as the end stopper? I know you're using cork to hold the records in place but I'm curious what your using on the end closest to the magnet as a stopper and how you're connecting it to the spindle shaft.

Thanks

-jay

I've more recently been trying a detergent additive, specifically Simple Green Crystal (ie: the version without coloring or scent additives). Not sure how much it helps, and it does require an ultra-pure water rinse afterward, even with a 1/150 dilution (about 0.8oz per gallon). I've taken also to using AIVS No 15 as a pre-wash as well, since it seems that U/S alone doesn't seem to be getting out the kind of greasy junk that enzymatic formulas do.

I was also recommended to try the Sporicidin Enzymatic fluid in the tank as well, though I got the wrong item, and thus haven't tried it yet. The Sporicidin Enzymatic fluid does explicitly state being both safe for vinyl and for use in ultrasonic tanks, but directions also state that it should be used alone in a fluid dilution. Maybe someone with some major cash can get two tanks, and go from Sporicidin Enzymatic to the Iso dilution. *shrug*

I might go back to just the Iso dilution as a final step, while still using AIVS No 15 as a prewash. I really dislike having to do a rinse step after the U/S bath... :/

BB, I purchased the 9/32 extension rods from that diving supply house you listed in your BOM. What are you using as the end stopper? I know you're using cork to hold the records in place but I'm curious what your using on the end closest to the magnet as a stopper and how you're connecting it to the spindle shaft.

Thanks

-jay

Hi Jay, I'm using the same part I used on earlier versions --- a simple nylon spacer with ¼" ID that I bore out for a press fit onto the 9/32 spindle. You could probably also find a 9/32" ID set screw collar to use, but that would be a more expensive part to buy.
Cheers,
B B

Hi Jay, the part you're asking about is a round electrical junction box cover (4" diameter), available at any Home Depot, Lowe's etc. They come with the neoprene gasket and they actually function as a good label protector too. However, that cover doesn't, by itself function as a stop. It's a thin plate, so has no way to grip the spindle and act as a stop by itself. That's the function of the ~½" long nylon spacer, or a shaft collar with a set screw.
Hope that clarifies,
B B

I have added a working filter setup that should essentially let one clean as many records as they can imagine with a single batch of cleaning solution in a URC. The pump and filter can be operated between ultrasonic cleaning cycles or even while the URC is being operated!

The key components are:
•a nice little fan cooled, very quiet, inline, centrifugal pump originally designed for use in beverage dispensers. $15 from SurplusCenter.
•heavy duty 4x4x4 electrical junction box used as a pump housing $10
•1 micron polypropylene 2.5"x5" filter used in small home water systems $3
•5" filter housing used in small home water systems $12

With fittings, cords, and tubing, the setup cost about $50 in parts. A little more than I envisioned originally, and probably only worth it if you're going to clean LOTS of records and want to save money on your cleaning solution. But it's a fun project for a tinkerer like me.

I first considered using a small aquarium pump and filter combination. But I soon found out that the inexpensive filters used in aquariums are usually 50 to 120 micron foam filters, which wouldn't trap ANYTHING that we'd clean off an LP! And once you start looking at finer filters, in the 1 micron range, you need a more powerful pump that can deliver more pressure.

While the specs for my pump claim almost 1 gallon per minute flow rate or more if the pump is working against 5 ft of head or less, I'm finding the flow rate in my setup is about 1/2 gpm. This is plenty for the 5 or 6 quarts of liquid in my URC system. It only takes about 3 minutes to pump 6 quarts of fluid through the filter. I will point out that the added volume of the filter housing and tubing require about 2.5 cups of additional volume of your cleaning solution. The pump's liquid temperature limit is stated as 120°F, which is coincidentally, also the max limit I've set for the solution in my system.

I drilled vent holes in my pump box to feed cool air to the motor cooling fan. Along, with a picture of the pump and motor, one of the accompanying photos shows the holes being drilled in the pump box.

I've also filmed a 30 second video which will show you my setup, give you an idea of the flow rate achieved, and will let you hear how quiet this particular pump is. The pump intake receives cleaning solution from the ultrasonic cleaner tank drain via the blue tubing. The pump outlet connects to the filter intake. The filter outlet goes through flexible tubing back into the tank.
The video is on Youtube at:
URC Filter Demo

I'll update my parts list in the near future to provide details on the parts I used for this setup.

[Side Note: One could conceivably use activated carbon filter made for the same filter housing I'm using, which would adsorb (not absorb) chemicals that a mechanical filter like the polypropylene filter I am starting with, can't. However, there is a higher pressure drop across an activated carbon filter, and I'm doubtful the pump I'm using could handle that. A carbon filter wouldn't be appropriate for some record cleaning solutions. Example: a carbon filter would strip out most detergents in a detergent-based record solution. However, it should let isopropyl alcohol in water pass, as well as the tiny bit of Photo-Flo I use, which is essentially propylene glycol. I'll probably buy a carbon filter for this setup and see how it works.]

Cheers,
B B

Hi,
B B, I'm sorry if I missed the follow-up to this, but I'd like to get an exact parts list for this great little pump-filter combo.
I couldn't find the pump on the SurplusCenter website.
Thanks!