My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

What is the spec of the filters that are used to clean the water. Micron size ? Typically what would the surface area of the filter be ?
How often and when would you clean the filter ? Everytime it is used I guess to avoid any muck from drying up on the filter surface.
Thanks.

Aquarium Surface Skimmer

Try this for a surface skimmer as well as lower level intake. Mates easily (supposedly) with that Magnum filter.
Btw, there is a one micron filter cartridge available or included with those Magnums.

How short can these go? I measure about 5 inches from the bottom to the top of the water line. The dimensions say it is 11 1/2" long, or am I reading that wrong? Maybe the hose is the 11 1/2" dimension. If it is just 4 1/2" high it would be perfect!

Discuss the Soniv IV ST136

My Sonix VI ST136H arrived earlier than expected :D.

I guess I have a new project on my agenda...after I finish recapping my Pilot 240.

Alan, The website for the ST136H does not discuss what seems to be important charaterisitrcs of this unit. Can you answer the questions?

Is the unit 60,000 hz? Or 40,000 hz?

Can the heater be turned off once you have reached your optimal temperasture or does it stay on as long as the unit has power to it or the ultrasonic devices are powered?

Thanks, Good luck on your build.

Wrinklestex

Last edited:
ST136H answer

Alan, The website for the ST136H does not discuss what seems to be important charaterisitrcs of this unit. Can you answer the questions?

Is the unit 60,000 hz? Or 40,000 hz?

Can the heater be turned off once you have reached your optimal temperasture or does it stay on as long as the unit has power to it or the ultrasonic devices are powered?

Thanks, Good luck on your build.

Wrinklestex
I received an email from Mr. Alan Cohen answering my questions and wanted to share with the rest who may have the same or similar questions.

This ultrasonic cleaner Model ST136H is a 60 khz model.
The heater turns on and off via a switch controlled by you.
No thermostat on this unit.

Thankyou Alan Cohen.

Hi there, i actually bought the ultrasonic cleaner already and getting ready to fabricate the topside. What are your findings with the multiple records? Do the records get cleaned well still? You didn't seem to include rotating microfibre brushes..
Would you have a plan i could use to go about the topside?
Thanks very much!

Loading and URC Design

What are your findings with the multiple records? Do the records get cleaned well still? You didn't seem to include rotating microfibre brushes..
Would you have a plan i could use to go about the topside?

Hi Mojofish
Loading Multiple Records: The combined power of the transducers and their ability to clean a given amount of surface area determine how many records can be cleaned at one time. The limit for the typical 6 qt cleaner is 3 to 4 records, given the surface area of the records. I definitely recommend against putting in 6 or 8 or 10 records at a time, because they won't getting fully cleaned. The math is explained in the post linked here:
Loading and Spacing of Records in an URC

Brushes: The whole point of ultrasonic cleaning, in my opinion, is to eliminate contact cleaning methods. Brushes collect dirt and impurities. Putting brushes in the bath also impacts the ability of the URC to clean --- too much surface area in the bath!

Platform / Topside: I don't have a plan drawn up. It would depend on the dimensions of the Ultrasonic cleaner you're using --- and the materials and tools you have available. (example: I used an air riveter to fasten my frame together. Some of my parts had to be dimensioned to allow the nose of the air riveter to get where it needed to be. If one was using nuts and bolts instead, the part dimensions would be different to simplify machining.) Also, if you're using slightly different mounting arrangements for the motor and spindle, the geometry of each particular machine will impact where you mount the hinge ---- there needs to be some hands-on mock up work to get the geometry correct.

Cheers,
B B

Thanks for all of your hard work, everybody. BB in particular. I'm curious: it's been 10 months since v2.0 of the URC. Do you have a "3.0" in mind? Or anything you would change?
I'd love to have one of my own but I am unexperienced with the dangerous physical tools needed to craft one's parts. And y'know, the price is fair compared to VPIs and commercial record cleaning machines but it still isn't cheap.
I assume no one has been able to find a 80kHz cleaner for a reasonable price? It's a true shame that they used to be so attainable on eBay and no longer are.

Hi Azteca,
I don't have a version 3.0 in mind. 2.1 perhaps ---- I'm very happy with the structure and rigidity of my 2.0 setup. (The problem with 1.0 was that the pvc structure just had too much play, and also required holes to be drilled in the UC case.)
There are a couple of tweaks to make:
1) to the spacers --- e.g. if one uses cork, I'd suggest a sleeve for the center hole bore. This sleeve would slip over the spindle. This will reduce the propensity for small pieces of cork to break off from the bore and become floaters in the bath.
2) There might also be a mod to the filter setup, whereby I could switch between filtering from the bottom drain vs. skimming the surface of the bath occasionally to filter out floaters.

As to tools and such, this is a DIY project, and as such, the need for tools comes with the territory! The original PVC setup was partially driven by the desire for a material that was easy for most people to work with. But for me, metal wins the day for this application, and as such, the ability to cut and drill aluminum and/or steel is part of the tradeoff.

In the absence of affordable 80khz machines, the Sonix IV machines at 60khz, now obtainable for roughly $600 or $650, are probably the best bet. Not cheap, but about as good as one can do at frequencies above 40khz.
Cheers,
B B

New Ultrasonic Cleaners

Am now ready to order the ultrasonic tank with frequency generators. But have confused myself and need help.

Have been looking for a Sonix IV ST-136 with heater, drain. lid, and cleaning basket. Have not found one used.

Do have an email into a local (FL) dealer and a phone call to Debbie Gibbins, Sales Director for Sonix to get firm prices. Also have a web price from Independent Dental for $655 including ST136H with heater, drain, timer, and stainless basket. Believe must add shipping but the web site does not state.

1. Is there a good site to get significant discounts on a Sonix IV ST-136? Or is the Independent Dental amount that price?

2. What about using a ST-236 instead? Would this better allow more records to be cleaned at one time - 4X the surface area. Or does the number of 60 kHz transducers (or some other factor) limit the cleaning ability to about 3 records?

As suggested by BBFTX, 60 kHz is good and 80 kHz is better. Does this mean 120 kHz is better that that for cleaning vinyl records? The reason for the question is that eBay now has a ultrasonic cleaner (36L from China) that has internal tank dimensions of 510 mm (~20") x 300 mm (~11.8") that is quite a bit larger that the ST-136 AND it is available with 80 kHz or 120 kHz in addition to the lower 40 & 25 kHz.

The same 36L ultrasonic cleaner is also available from JoyFay (importer) for $759.19 + $303 shipping - less than eBay - with the same flexibility of choosing the frequency - 25, 40, 80, or 120 kHz. And another Chinese firm, Mighty Cleaner, appears to have the identical unit for sale at $800 + shipping (shipping costs not stated). So there is room for an eBay 'best offer'.

3. Should the 36L with 80 kHz or 120 kHz be chosen over the 60 kHz of the ST-136? Is this a significant step up in cleaning ability?

4. If so, does the price of $759 + $303 = $1,062 for the 36L compare favorably to $655 + shipping for the ST-136?

5. Are the Chinese units known to be reliable? Quiet? Are their specs fudged vs. those of US manufacturers?

6. Same question as 2 above - would this 36 liter unit provide an ability to properly clean more that 3 records at a time?

Final question relates to the issue of a single frequency (be it 60, 80, or 120 kHz) vs. the now 'multiple ultrasonic frequencies with simultaneous sweeps' used by some of the more prominent manufacturers (Crossfire by Zenith Ultrasonics using 40 & 80 kHz; SharperTek® ultrasonic sweep cleaning - 40 kHz with sweep; etc.).

7. Is 40 kHz + 80 kHz combined sweep into one tank (Zenith Ultrasonics) better than 80 kHz only or 120 kHz only (36L from China)?

I am ready to purchase an Ultrasonic cleaner and hope you can better guide my decision. Many thanks for any help.

Ultrasonic Machines

Hi Atlanta,
My thoughts on your questions (just one guy's opinions):
1. I think Independent Dental is about as good a price as you'll find on Sonix machines, but I haven't scoured the web recently.

2 - 6: The ST-236 would theoretically allow about 7 records at once, and would probably be an excellent choice if you are ok with the higher price.

I think the ST-236 would be a far better choice than a 36 liter machine from China.
I seriously doubt you'd really get 80khz or 120khz transducers at the same price, which is what is implied on their website. Maybe so, maybe not, and there's not much recourse if you've brought a machine over from China. Do you have a way to check the frequency of the transducers you get? Probably not.

In any case, do you REALLY want to mix up 8 to 9 GALLONS of Cleaning Fluid required for the 36L unit? And find the space required for that unit to sit somewhere?

7. Sweep doesn't get you much. The transducers, by design and the laws of physics, resonate within a narrow frequency band. When you deviate from the resonant frequency, power drops off dramatically, so sweeping doesn't get you much.

Let us know what you decide, but I'd vote for the ST-236 if your willing to spend to a higher price point than I went for.
Cheers,
B B

Also have a web price from Independent Dental for $655 including ST136H with heater, drain, timer, and stainless basket. Believe must add shipping but the web site does not state.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Interesting and thanks for the lead. I see that unit for $520 plus $60 for the unit plus heater, drain and timer. I can't see how the rest are important to record cleaning. Plus, shipping is stated as $25. Sounds like $605 delivered. Starting to get close to affordable for me.

BB, as usual, you are correct that the folks from China are not prepared to send a 120 kHz version unit. See below comments received from the provider as of this AM. Did not see any point in asking about the 80 kHz version.

Dear rongsheng-biz,
Anita, if not available, you listing should be revised to so indicate. Please revise your listing.
- atlantaaudio
Sent Date: Nov-06-13 05:45:57 PST

Dear atlantaaudio,
Hello, Sorry, it is not available. Regards, Anita
- rongsheng-biz
Sent Date: Nov-06-13 05:12:07 PST

Dear rongsheng-biz,
No. I require the 120 kHz version as offered in your listing. Please advise availability delivery date. Thanks.
- atlantaaudio
Sent Date: Nov-05-13 18:48:23 PST

Dear atlantaaudio,
Hello, We have different version for your selection. Now, the 40Khz is available. Could you consider? Regards, Anita
- rongsheng-biz

Above in response to request for 120 kHz ultrasonic cleaner model 36L from China.
Professional 36L Liter Industrial Ultrasonic Hardware Cleaner Heater 24H Running | eBay

atlantaaudio

WntrMute2 - hope my response did not seem critical of you. That was not the intent.

Just wanted to point out to earlier poster that there were thought to be issues with the 8-record cleaner as earlier expressed in this forum. Did not want him making a mistake that he may later regret without first doing his research.

All the best.