Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2015, 11:24 PM   #981
PMEL324X0 is offline PMEL324X0  United States
diyAudio Member

Louis, does this question (post989) mean that you can get 135khz transducers?
Old 20th February 2015, 03:40 AM   #982
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packgrog View Post
Further emphasizing my surprise with the results, have a look at these. The first one shows the recording that had been done after cleaning the record multiple times with the KAB EV-1 using the AIVS No 15 and Ultra Pure water. My regimen was obnoxious: 3 minute scrub with Listener Select brushes per fluid per side (1 minute clockwise with light circular scrubbing, 1 minute counter-clockwise with light circular scrubbing, 1 more minute clockwise just going with the grooves), followed by about a minute vacuuming, one rotation counter-clockwise, then reversed. I got good results doing this, but I suspect you can see why I'm sick of it, and jumped head-first into this ultrasonic project.

The second image shows the same passage of the same exact record after the ultrasonic cleaning. The ultra-sonic noise haze is visibly reduced on this later waveform, which certainly reinforces my assertion about improved clarity in the sound. What's both interesting and kind of annoying is that I seem to have MORE clicks after the ultrasonic bath. Much of it is just that the quieter ones are no longer obscured in the noise haze. It's certainly disappointing that the majority of these clicks didn't go away as I'd hoped. That said, perhaps tools like ClickRepair will have less of a negative audible impact so that I can use that instead of having to declick the recordings by hand with iZotope. I can certainly hope!
Thanks a lot for sharing these measurements, the first I've seen for before and after U/S cleaning. Do you by any chance have audio samples from before and after?
Old 20th February 2015, 02:49 PM   #983
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Jpak,
Here is link to "before and after" post in this thread. Video and audio of a cleaned LP.

Cheers,
B B
Old 20th February 2015, 11:14 PM   #984
jpak is offline jpak  United States
diyAudio Member

B B could you say what post number it is? That link takes me to the top of this page. Thanks.
Old 20th February 2015, 11:29 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

It's post #243
Old 22nd February 2015, 03:29 PM   #986
VibratoLLC is offline VibratoLLC  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 135khz Transducers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMEL324X0 View Post
Louis, does this question (post989) mean that you can get 135khz transducers?
Yes. I have 135khz transducers. I bought a supply of them as a replacement for the larger, heavier 80khz transducers, but it turned out these were the same size and weight (they were supposed to be smaller and lighter but it was a misprint on the manufacturers website). I developed a new mounting procedure for these heavier transducers (80khz and 135khz), but don't want to waste inventory if there is no need/demand for the higher frequency.

-Louis
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:01 PM   #987
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zg925 View Post
Very cool BB! Did the neoprene spacers work? I couldn't tell from your video.
Hey zg,
I'm still looking for a better, no-hassle spacer. I thought I had a neoprene / eva foam product, but what was advertised as a 4" disc was actually smaller, and wouldn't completely cover the record label.

I have one other "4 inch" neoprene product I'm investigating. Also, I've had success using a large hole saw -- 4-" --- to cut neoprene or eva foam spacers. But this isn't practical for folks that don't have a drill press or mill. That large a hole saw requires more power to cut with than the typical ⅜" hand drill can supply.

For now, the large cork stopper spacers are the best ready-cut solution. (Their only downside is the small floating cork particles that some people get over time from putting them on/taking them off the spindle.
Cheers,
B B
Old 22nd February 2015, 07:02 PM   #988
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Louis, I don't think anyone here has tried a 135 khz as there really isn't anyone making one in a 6 L size that would be affordable. There were earlier discussions in this thread about using higher frequencies because of the relationship of bubble to groove width. I would suspect an extremly dirty record with caked on dirt might need a prewash before using a 135 khz unit. BBFTX had some thoughts on higher frequencies. Posts 53 & 65 there may be others.

Last edited by Zg925; 22nd February 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 24th February 2015, 11:21 PM   #989
drtool is offline drtool  United States
diyAudio Member

Has any body cleaned any 78's. I see about 500 or so in my future.
Old 25th February 2015, 02:57 AM   #990
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtool View Post
Has any body cleaned any 78's. I see about 500 or so in my future.
Hey Doc, I haven't, but whatever you do, never, ever use isopropyl alcohol on shellac 78s.
B B

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!