My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Andy,
DO NOT USE CHLORINE.

Chlorine would be a disaster in a URC.
First, chlorine is corrosive to stainless steel and brass.

Next, chlorine is not chemically compatible with silicone and some other types of soft plastic tubing

Very importantly, if you're using isopropyl, chlorine and IPA together create chloroform gas and HCL.

DO NOT USE CHLORINE.

Regards,
B B

Thank you very much for that, B B.

OK - chlorine was the wrong idea!

Andy

What source is there to obtain Hepastat 256 in small quantities?

I heard a rumor that Hepastat 256 is no longer made. Indeed, I could not find it anywhere in my area. Having said that, there is a product available at Sam's Club called Proforce Sanitizer which contains up to 10% "quats" (the data sheet is a little non-specific on the actual percentages). I have used it with good success for my UC cleaning. My UC tank is 1.6 gallons, and I add 10ml of Proforce (.16% dilution). The best part about Proforce is its cost - less than $10 for one gallon. Here's some more information about it:

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene..._ProForce_Sanitizer_2_22_2010_11_37_44_AM.pdf

One final piece of information. There is a lemon scented version of this product which I would avoid. Seek out the version that has a pinkish hue. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The Hepastat solution appears to be widely available, and even at Staples where I got mine. The benefit o using it is that it seems to reduce static and may enhance cleaning properties. It is a disinfectant as well and I presume would inhibit mold and fungal growth in the cleaning solution and on records.

Anyone have a lead on the Riffe 9/32 spear shaft extension that bbtfx has in his build list? Or something similar? I'm getting a 404 error when I search DiversDirect for it: RIFFE Threaded Shaft Adapter 9/32" x 10" - Divers Direct.

I swear that I saw it on their site two weeks ago ... and of course now when I go to pull the trigger I can't find it...

I suppose I could drop them an email and ask...

Riffe 9/32 extension

Anyone have a lead on the Riffe 9/32 spear shaft extension that bbtfx has in his build list? Or something similar? I'm getting a 404 error when I search DiversDirect for it: RIFFE Threaded Shaft Adapter 9/32" x 10" - Divers Direct.I swear that I saw it on their site two weeks ago ... and of course now when I go to pull the trigger I can't find it...I suppose I could drop them an email and ask...

Googledit; Amazon advertised it as 10"- 9/32 spear shaft extension, 6mm threaded both ends at $20. ...regards, Michael

Got it! Thanks - I swear I spent a half hour this morning trying to find it at another place than Divers Direct to no avail - and then another hour going down the rabbit hole of other ideas for couplers, etc.

Thanks again...

Googledit; Amazon advertised it as 10"- 9/32 spear shaft extension, 6mm threaded both ends at $20. ...regards, Michael

vinyl center hole diameter

Got it! Thanks - I swear I spent a half hour this morning trying to find it at another place than Divers Direct to no avail - and then another hour going down the rabbit hole of other ideas for couplers, etc. Thanks again...

Hi there s: Assisting you, caused me to check the diameter of a plastic rod I'm preparing. I tried a rod diameter of 19/64" on several used vinyl records and it would not fit the record's. Since I'm using a an unknown type of plastic rod, (stock size 5/32") It was easy to reduce the diameter. I found that several records I checked, all fit the revised 9/32" diameter rod. Some were from USA companies, others were from Europe. ...regards, Mchael

Update to previous posts

Reference Conversations # 542,543, 544, 545 for my setup
Latest add to ultrasonic record cleaner. A WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM!
I believe these changes/parts have been done in another conversation, but do not know for sure.

From the hardware stores:
11 hose clamps - .69 each. I put one at each barb to hose connection. Might be overkill, but there are no leaks.
3/8 inch id. braided clear vinyl hose 4 feet for suction and discharge lines to the pimp
3/8 inch id. clear vinyl hose, for drain line
Two 3/8 inch id. plastic barb hose elbows
One - 3/8 inch id. plastic "T" with all (3) barb hose connections
Three 3/8 inch NPT to 3/8 inch hose barb elbow for connecting to the filter housing in and out locations and one for tank drain connection. I bought brass ($5.85 each) because I could not find plastic locally.

from AMAZON
solar circulation water pump
Brand Bayite BYT-7A015
Model 7A015, 12 VDC, 8 Liters/2.1 GPM
Max Head 9.8 feet/3 meter
Wall wart power supply comes with it.
The pump's water input and output fitting connections that come with it are 3/8 inch id. hose barb connectors, a roll of teflon tape comes with it also
Cost $24.50

from AMAZON
Pentek 158110, 3/8 inch #5 Slim Clear filter housing
Cost $12.39

from AMAZON
Filter, Hydronix SDC-25-0501
1 Micron (pack of 2)
Cost $5.76

If your ultrasonic tank has a drain valve then it probably has a connection fitting that can be replaced. If you use 3/8 inch hose all around then a 3/8 hose bard connector would work best. I cannot tell you what the other side of the fitting is in NPT since I probably do not have yours.

Word of warning...the braided clear hose is very very hard to remove by hand once it is installed. I used it to prevent the suction line from collapsing. The drain line that "T"'ed into the suction line was not braided and it did not collapse and felt the same suction pressure as the inlet to the pump. So, maybe it was overkill for this particular pump.

At the end of the drain line, I used a 1/4 inch NPT to 3/8 inch hose bard connector with a cap on the NPT end that I can remove to drain the tank.

Hey everyone! I'm a first time poster who has gone through all 174 pages of this thread. I've got it in my mind that I'd like to try US cleaning and, being a librarian, have done lots of research with this thread being SUPER interesting and enlightening.

The DIY approach seems to make sense mostly because I don't have >$1k to blow on a cleaner. However, there are two issues I'm facing concerning this project:

1. I live in an apartment, so workspace is essentially non-existant.
2. Despite my desire to be a master DIYer, my experiences are practically non-existent.

So my question is:

Using bbftx's version 3 rig, how much, um...crafty/diy-y/handsy knowledge/experience do I need to assemble such a thing. The frame part I can do, but when it comes to constructing the motor and rotating spit, that is another matter. Is there any sort of wiring involved? Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for assembling?

My plan is to first attempt to build the non-tank unit. If I can do that successfully, then I'll proceed with acquiring a tank. If I fail at that, is the vinyl stack spin kit the way to go?

Thank you for any advice/help you fine people may provide and I'll continue to follow along and see what y'all are up to when it comes to US cleaning.

Cheers!

Hi Casey,
There are no definitive step by step written instructions. Part of the fun is learning and revising plans as you go. Plus, everyone's parts end up being different anyway, diminishing the usefulness of detailed instructions.

Motor options are nearly infinite, so that's where figuring out what works for your situation is most unique. If you don't have experience with 120VAC wiring, you should probably pursue low voltage DC motor options.

Perhaps there is a local maker or tinker group near your home that you can learn from or get involved with. In those few cities that are lucky enough to have one, TechShop is a great resource for learning and access to equipment for apartment dwellers.
Good luck,
B B

Hi Astro,
The Sonix unit has worked extremely well for me.
I chose it based on a 60 khz operating frequency, which I feel is better suited for the groove width and typical impurities found on an LP than the more common 25 and 40 khz machines. The Sonix unit also has a drain, which is a very valuable feature for easily emptying the tank and for setting up a circulating filter arrangement.
Cheers,
B B