My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Heres my first UCM attempt. Looking at some really innovative designs in this thread really inspired me so this is what I came up with.

Given the tight space i'm working in wanted a design which would clean and dry in the same space which is why I liked the designs where you could lift the records above the bath and let them drip back into the bath while drying (im using a computer fan to assist with the drying process)

This design has two switches. One to turn on the spindle motor (0.6 rpm) and the other operates the lift mechanism both operating from a 12v LiPo battery.

Heres a video cleaning my very first batch.

https://youtu.be/-K9_3W-2plU

Niffy, did you order from Making Cosmetics? (I'm in the UK and have just done so). I'd be interested in hearing what you did with the Behentrimonium in its solid form - how much did you dissolve, for example? (I'm thinking of following Rushton's lead of having a premix of the Behentrimonium, Triton X-100 and isopropyl alcohol).

Thanks.

Sorry to be so tardy in my reply. I stopped getting new post notifications for some reason.
I did indeed order from making cosmetics. The international postage was a bit steep but I have enough to last a lifetime. I haven't experimented with any of the cleaning solution ingredients as yet. All of the components for making the record cleaning machine have been purchased by my wife as my Christmas present.
All of the components and chemicals are currently wrapped up and sitting under a Christmas tree. I got some quizzical look due to several of the components that have turned up.

Niffy

Hi tube,
Love the setup!,
So you're using a linear actuator then? Stroke? Lift Capacity?
(Hint: I'm trying to get you to talk about the parts you're using, where you got them and approximate cost, etc., so the rest of us might benefit from your excellent engineering.)
Best,
B B

Yes it uses a 6" linear actuator. this is the one I purchased.

12V 750N Linear actuator Motor Adjustable Opener Heavy Duty Bracket 50~ 300mm | eBay

And the spindle motor is one of these.

DC 12V 0.6RPM High Torque Turbo Worm Geared Motor 370 Right Angle Gear Low Speed | eBay

The basic structure comprises of alloy tubing sandwiched between a set of cabinet drawer slides providing a very smooth and stable base for the spindle motor which is very strong and has zero play.

I originally was going to use an additional controller which enables you to vary the speed of the actuator (via a pot) as well as providing a switch for forward/reverse but in the end didn't feel i need it as the actuators have upper and lower limit switches and runs at the perfect speed of 10mm/s.

The only complex part is ensuring the correct spindle height in relation to you US bath as if you get that wrong then the actuator is going the drive your precious vinyl into the bottom of the tub or not lower it down far enough.

I also found the spindle to be fairly complex as well as nothing I could find here in Australia was 7.2mm so I ended up using a steel core of 6mm and sleeving it with some alloy tubing found in a hobby shop. The coupling to the motor is plastic but that is sleeved with stainless tubing which was also the correct diameter for my 8mm i/d bearing. The spindle is super strong and doesn't wobble or flex which is what you need when the edge of the records are just a few mm from the sides of the bath.

The whole thing however is massive overkill just to lift and rotate 4 records but I reckon the thing will outlast me :D

Yes it uses a 6" linear actuator.

The basic structure comprises of alloy tubing sandwiched between a set of cabinet drawer slides providing a very smooth and stable base for the spindle motor which is very strong and has zero play.

I also found the spindle to be fairly complex as well as nothing I could find here in Australia was 7.2mm

The whole thing however is massive overkill just to lift and rotate 4 records but I reckon the thing will outlast me :D

Thanks, great info. I was hoping you would have found a $10 surplus actuator somewhere....

On the spindle front, here is what I am now using. Relatively cheap and they're exactly the right size for LPs --- Riffe 9/32 (=7.1mm) spear shaft extensions. I remember seeing lots of Australian outlets for these:
7mm Spear Shaft Extensions

Best,
B B

Hi bb,

Is there a specific reason for using a 9/16" shaft rather than the much more readily available 1/4"? A 1/4" shaft would have only a 1/32" slop so would seem to me to be adequately centred. It would also make loading and unloading records easier (and therefore reduce the possibility of damage). As long as the spacer/label protectors grip the records (which they would need to do in order to protect the labels) there shouldn't be an issue of the records slipping on the shaft. I already have a stock of 1/4" stainless steel tubing and think I can get some brass tube 9/16" OD 1/4" ID to slide over if necessary. Any thoughts?

Niffy

Niffy,
One can get by with a ¼" spindle, sure, if you have clamping system of some sort. But that's a LOT of play. A very lot. Too much for me. See photos for comparison.

The RIAA spec for an LP record hole is 0.286" + 0.001" -0.002", or a range of 0.284" to 0.287".
That gives a good running clearance fit of several thousandths of an inch for a 9/32 shaft =0.2812" (that may also vary by a thousandth or so).

I'd rather use something thats closer to spec if available, and the Riffe spear shafts are perfect. Mine measure spot on at 0.281". Since they're pre-threaded with a 6mm thread, there are several options out there for mating the spindle to standard components/connectors. The other option I've used is 9/32" drill rod.

Cheers,
B B

Last edited:
I already have 1/4" stainless steel tubing and the connectors to attach this to the motor in a matching size. My local remote control model centre, Sussex model centre in Worthing England, has 9/32" OD brass tube with a 1/4" ID. A length of this should slip over my 1/4" tube and can be secured with epoxy leaving the end clear for the connectors. I will also need to find a 9/32 drill for the hole in the label protector/spacer which shouldn't be to hard. Living in the land of SI units can make sourcing imperial materials and tools difficult sometimes. I'll probably try just the 1/4" first then decide if increasing the diameter is worth it.

Niffy

I also seem to have gotten unsubscribed from the thread for some reason. Weird.

Very cool design, tubularbells! I like the shelf drawer slides. I never did get my stand to be able to slide the motor up and down, but maybe something like this would work for me for raising/lowering manually but rigidly. Hmm...

Thanks, the drawer slides were really a last minute solution as originally I was planning on finding a piece of alloy box tubing that would insert neatly into the 30mm x 40mm tubing I had and do it that way but whilst at the hardware store (Bunnings Warehouse) I couldn't find any so I paced the aisles looking for an alternative and walking past the section containing all the drawer related hardware I had an epiphany :D

Glad I did as ive since put a few dozen records through the machine and it works fantastic.

While I am all for exactness in designing our DIY cleaning systems. Rotating a record in an operating ultrasonic tank with a fluctuating surface. I'm not going to get too excited about whether the shaft the record rotating on is 1/4 or 9/32 inch. 1/32" is moot. We're cleaning records not playing them. I'm more concerned keeping the label dry as especially with the varying run out widths.

There was mention in the begining of this thread of using Triton X-114 as a surfacant. It seems in later comments that some are using Triton X-100. So what is the difference if any? I have read the chemical descriptions on both but it's all Greek to me as far as comprehending what is being said.