My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Hello, connect a sycronous motor to a dimmer is not possible, it will not work.
In my case I've used a timer (1sec on 20sec off) to drive a mirror ball motor (1 turn in 40sec). It was not foregone that the motor always starts in the same direction but in my case it works well, always rotates the same way, maybe for mechanical concerns.
My timer was built by myself, a 555 timer driving a low power triac all supplied by a capacitor directly from 230vac mains. I think you can find a cheap timer around here, in my opinion is necessary the switch is a triac and not a relay to be "almost" sure the motor starts always the same sense, otherwise random sense is most likely.
Ciao,
Luca

Hello, connect a sycronous motor to a dimmer is not possible, it will not work.
In my case I've used a timer (1sec on 20sec off) to drive a mirror ball motor (1 turn in 40sec). It was not foregone that the motor always starts in the same direction but in my case it works well, always rotates the same way, maybe for mechanical concerns.
My timer was built by myself, a 555 timer driving a low power triac all supplied by a capacitor directly from 230vac mains. I think you can find a cheap timer around here, in my opinion is necessary the switch is a triac and not a relay to be "almost" sure the motor starts always the same sense, otherwise random sense is most likely.
Ciao,
Luca

Thanks Luca for thinking with me. Although I get the idea I am sure I will not get this together myself. Still looking for that motor...

Has anyone seen a summary of a test comparing the results of using a 40khz vs. 80khz ultrasonic cleaner on records? I've combed through the posts on this site and I understand the theoretical advantages of 80khz, but I'd very much appreciate some feedback from someone who's actually made the comparison in practice. The closest I've found are Harry Weisfeld's comments about comparing 40khz to 60khz units where he can't identify any difference in the results, but he's not compared to 80khz.

Thanks for any direction you can offer!

Has anyone seen a summary of a test comparing the results of using a 40khz vs. 80khz ultrasonic cleaner on records? I've combed through the posts on this site and I understand the theoretical advantages of 80khz, but I'd very much appreciate some feedback from someone who's actually made the comparison in practice. The closest I've found are Harry Weisfeld's comments about comparing 40khz to 60khz units where he can't identify any difference in the results, but he's not compared to 80khz.

Thanks for any direction you can offer!

I think I have my answer. This post was delayed and I've been able to spend more time search the thread. I found some actual comparisons from a member here who has used both, and I found the posts discussing 60khz vs. 80khz. Thanks for the input provided!

After some questions from me, I thought I would be nice to add some to this amazing thread....

Excuse me for the English, not native language.

I got this unit from ebay: EMAG AG/ Schalltec Ultraschallreinigungsgerät Emmi 60HC *6L* *Frühlingsangebot* | eBay

6liters, +/-45khz (4 transd.), heater, timer, drain. Build well (German). Got a (big) discount as it was a demoversion. Seems to work like it should! This company still has a few, I can recommend it.

I use this discoballmotor. It said 1RPM, but turns out to be bit faster. Did not time it, but a label on the unit said 1.5RPM)
Showtec motor voor spiegelbol tot 30 cm kopen? | Bax-shop

I created a very basic 'system' with which I can clean 2 or 3 (not done yet) records. Records spin ok, but labels are not protected. This is not a problem as the water does not touch the labels. I kept the waterlevel just before the outgroove. Records are clamped with very small spacers (2-3 cm apart), which 'might' cause a bit warping (but not 100% sure yet).

I have used:
- 4.7l distilled water
- +/- 75ml L'Art du Son (almost whole bottle..yeah expensive, but I had this already, and I did not want to use alcohol)
- few drops of Kodak Photo Flo 200

Machine on 100%, 15 minutes pre-heating (20C - 25C). Then records in the water, spinning for 20 minutes.

I have used only records that have already been cleaned intensive (Okki Nokki RCM) sofar.

Result:
Amazing! Above expectations!

RCM cleaning made records really clean, but ultrasonic really adds something extra.

Depending on the record, surface noise is really a lot less. Still some ticks here and there, but definitely less harsh. On other records I got 'dark', 'black' silence between tracks (even on 70's records bought for 4 euro :) ). This is a really nice feeling :cool:

But, more to my surprise is that the music sounds more dynamic (?), louder (?), better on the low end, less stressed? I can not find the right words for it. Does any of you have noticed this?

'System' costed me - besides the cleaner - about 30 euro's on material. I am really no DIY-er, but I do like clean records. This works for now, probably will end up with the Ultra Sonic Spin, as I can see the benefits of that.

The best part of this is that it feels like (and probably is) I can clean records on the best possible way. If a record after this proces still has a lot of noise, crackles etc. than that is caused by anything that is nature to the medium (played to much, scratches, bad pressing, whatever...)

Feel free to throw in some advice! Thank you all for this great thread!

Last edited:
Hi All,

As separators I do use good old Ikea material:

IKEA 365+ Onderzetter - 10 cm - IKEA

I have glued them bottom to bottom. The you get the label covering diameter.

As end stops I have used "wood" 6mm T-nuts and again a coaster from ikea.

See attached pictures

Cheap and easy.

Regards

Michiel

Nice! is this cork not coming off after contact with water?

Hi All,

As separators I do use good old Ikea material:

IKEA 365+ Onderzetter - 10 cm - IKEA

I have glued them bottom to bottom. The you get the label covering diameter.

As end stops I have used "wood" 6mm T-nuts and again a coaster from ikea.

See attached pictures

Cheap and easy.

Regards

Michiel
Very creative, Michiel! Thanks for sharing this solution.

Popmarter,

No cork has come off until now.
As indicated in the thread in normal use it will not touch the water.
The cork is used as a coaster for hot coffee and tea cups in normal use. So I assume they will be resistant to spills:p that is where coasters are for:D

Regards,

Michiel

That is, so it must be working :drink:

Indeed, normal use I do not spill water, but i noticed that if the waterlevel is slightly to high there might be a drop or two going on the cover. Same happend when I take them out of the water. Anyway, I have ordered the Vinyl Stack thing, so that problem is over.

nice about the ikea seperators. i used small ones from Xenos, and glued them together, works fine as well.

some general observations about this thread:

i've used a cheap chinese GT sonic 6 liter model for more than 2 years, cleaning 100s of very dirty records from thrift shops mostly. these cleaners worked fine for me, all records were super clean when they came out, and i did 8 at the same time so thats very little space in between. you may not see the water move, but put your finger in it, and you'll feel it!

the single most important thing that contributes to clean records in my opinion is very simple: VACUUM THEM after youre done. i have a home made loricraft style machine, and the difference between this and air-drying is amazing. also use a rinse bath in between to keep the records wet before vacuuming them. it's the combination that cleans the best, not one single part.

a tip for filtering your fluids: get one of those kits that they sell to turn pond water into drinking water for hikers. these have extremely fine filters inside, and they screw right into your tap outlet from the machine. they cost nothing, and are easy to clean too.

i've now switched to a 10 liter model, which gives more space between the records and has a lot more cleaning power...

For anyone who may be looking for the now discontinued Little Giant 1-AA-OM pump that bbftx uses in his filter setup, I just purchased one from this eBay seller and he apparently must have several. It shipped very promptly and arrived in good condition.
Little Giant 531001 1 AA OM Pump | eBay
308312d1351191327t-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-urc-pump-dsc_7364.jpg

nice about the ikea seperators. i used small ones from Xenos, and glued them together, works fine as well.

some general observations about this thread:

i've used a cheap chinese GT sonic 6 liter model for more than 2 years, cleaning 100s of very dirty records from thrift shops mostly. these cleaners worked fine for me, all records were super clean when they came out, and i did 8 at the same time so thats very little space in between. you may not see the water move, but put your finger in it, and you'll feel it!

the single most important thing that contributes to clean records in my opinion is very simple: VACUUM THEM after youre done. i have a home made loricraft style machine, and the difference between this and air-drying is amazing. also use a rinse bath in between to keep the records wet before vacuuming them. it's the combination that cleans the best, not one single part.

a tip for filtering your fluids: get one of those kits that they sell to turn pond water into drinking water for hikers. these have extremely fine filters inside, and they screw right into your tap outlet from the machine. they cost nothing, and are easy to clean too.

i've now switched to a 10 liter model, which gives more space between the records and has a lot more cleaning power...

Agree with Ruud on the multiple steps approach. I got the Vinyl Stack unit yesterday and in combi with my EMAG works great, but you do need to vacuum. Currently i am looking for a good rinse bath, probably a bucket with destilled water will do as the sleeve covers of the Vinyl stack are awesome. Think you can just put the three lp's in a bath, spin a few times and off you go to the vacuum-rcm.

@ruud, can you show us a picture and brand / type the filteringthing? No clue how it looks like, but it sure sounds great! I put a bottle of L'art du Son in my current mix (for testing), which is great, but I would like a cheaper solution.