My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Pillo,
Dishwashing rinse aids come in many different formulations. Some might be ok for vinyl, some aren't. It's too broad a category to generalize about what might be compatible, or not.

You'd need to check the chemical compatability of ingredients in a specific product. I've found that some dishwashing rinse aids contain pretty esoteric molecules that don't show up on a PVC chemical compatibility chart. There's no reason to use those when there are plenty of other "known" options (that don't use dyes or scent either).
Cheers,
B B

I thought it could be used when you look into a pot of "Calgonit" the following components:
a.-) 5 - 15% Nonionic surfactants.
b.-) less than 5% Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Potassium Sorbate.
Especially surfactants.
I never imagined that other components will damage the vinyl.
Thanks for your attention

Rinse aid for dishwashing

Rinse aid for dishwashing serves as surfactant for the cleaning liquid?.
Has anyone tried it ?.
Yes I normally use it, I use this one: Finish

I put about 0.3ml with a syringe in 5 litres distilled water + 125ml isopropil alcohol at 50°C, half an hour two complete revolutions, do by yourself the unit conversion :)

Results are great!

Without rinse aid water remains with a lot of drops uniformly in all record surface, with rinse aid water falls and let the record clean and shiny.

Be careful not to exeed, less than a half ml in 5 litres water.

Hello all,
Luca

I'm starting to get the impression that my Sonix IV ST136 might be flawed. It only seems to do a good job when cleaning one record at a time. The dimpling was even when I first tested the unit (haven't tried again recently, but maybe I should), but it just doesn't seem to do a good job when cleaning multiple records, even with about 2" spacing between two records. This is with a heated bath and two full rotations (about 25 minutes). Anyone experienced similar results? :/

If I run two records together, neither end up sounding much cleaner. A single record on its own seems to clean up relatively well. I don't know, maybe I've had differences in heat level (I try to get it to as close to 110F as I can), or maybe some of these records are just not salvageable. I'm going to give one of the persistent ones another try on its own today... I've just NEVER been happy with the results of doing two at once, which is very frustrating since it takes a really long time as it is. :/

I've found the same. It really depends on how tough the dirt is on the record. I've been using my diy ultrasonic rcm for what is basically a final rinse. I'll clean really crackly/dirty records with AVIS enzyme solution to loosen up the dirt wipe it down and then put them into the US machine and have had fantastic results! I haven't had much luck with just the US cleaner alone and not sure why.

first off, thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. a ton of great info in this thread. i have a quick question. i was considering getting the vibrato 80khz model but i'm a bit worried that it wont clean really dirty old records, which i'm about to get a ton of. would a spin clean run before ultrasonic cleaning work. i'm worried about pushing dirt deep into tje groove but i'm hoping that the 80khz will take care of that. any thoughts? thanks!

Hogues, I don't have direct experience with the Vibrato unit, but with a good machine, my opinion is the ultrasonic method will clean better, and deeper in the groove, than any other options, without a "prewash". Either 60khz or 80khz in a well-executed cleaner will work. (A drain is very handy to have in the setup by the way, particularly if you want to set up a recirculating filter; I don't think the Vibrato has one.)

I posted these pictures earlier, but my set up easily cleaned the absolute worst record in my collection. This was nasty brown mold/dirt of some sort that seemed resistant to dishwasher micro-brush and other wet methods of cleaning. The before and after photos show the effectiveness of the ultrasonic cleaning. The brown material were very fine particles, deep in the grooves, very firmly adhered to the LP.
Cheers,
B B