Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2018, 01:36 PM   #2041
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emosewa View Post
Many thanks. That is what I'm using. I have a 10 L tank, so I assume that would equate to 4 to 7 drops of Triton-X 100. Along with 6 oz of alcohol?

And none of the Ilford Ilfotol to assist in drying?
I am currently using only a drop or two. I have tried eliminating altogether but feel the water doesn't sheet as well. I would start with the least amount and work up if needed. I haven't needed a drying agent.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:10 PM   #2042
electrovice is offline electrovice  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Completed Station, first cut

I have been interested in the Ultrasonic approach for cleaning records for a while. I bought the Sonix4 machine several years ago while I was still working. Life got in the way and I never got very far on the project. A month or two ago I was listening to some records and was just not satisfied with the cleaning I was able to do with a DIY record cleaner I built years ago. Time to dust off the ultrasonic machine.

I read much of the thread and saw a lot of terrific variations for the machines. I know the original intent was to create a portable set up that can be put away when not needed. I have a large collection of vinyl (5000+) and vacant horizontal surfaces can be hard to find in casa electrovice. I opted to create a free standing cleaner set up with a filter all mounted on a compact movable stand. I went with a sturdy elevator mechanism and a fixed spindle.

The stand was originally a bar stool that I found in a thrift store. The elevator mechanism is horizontal clamp that was an accessory for a Ridgid miter saw also found in a thrift store. The pump, used from eBay, is a proper diaphragm pump with plenty of pressure and volume. The faucet is used and was a rescue from a recycling bin at a former job. The balance of it was either stuff I had laying around in the shop or purchases from the local ACE hardware.

Hopefully the pictures are not too compressed to show what I have created. The first picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees, sorry.

John
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:37 PM   #2043
bbftx is online now bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice, John! Love the free-standing unit.
The use of the miter clamp is very clever. I assume it's one of those where you can release the threaded rod so you can more quickly slide the clamp up and down, lock it in, and then rotate the threaded assembly to fine tune the positioning?
Cheers,
B B
Old 24th October 2018, 12:12 AM   #2044
diyAudio Member

In my application the knob doesn't turn. To raise the motor assembly, you just pull up on the knob. To lower the unit, you release the clamp and guide it down while holding the knob. The all thread of this mechanism is a standard 5/8-11 thread. I took advantage of that and used nuts to create stops that limit the movement up and down. The knob is now "fixed" and helps the user to guide the mechanism up and down. It is a very "mechanical" mechanism but it works fine.

The saw clamp can still be purchased for about $45. I found mine for $1.50. Perhaps rummaging tool bins in pawn shops or used tool stores may yield similar mechanisms. A DeStaco type of clamp might also be used to hold the motor assembly on a vertical shaft. Lots of options.

John
Old 24th October 2018, 07:32 PM   #2045
Packgrog is offline Packgrog  United States
diyAudio Member

Slick setup, John! I assume you're using the faucet for the fluid return from the filter. Pity it doesn't reach closer to the fill line of the tank to limit the aeration of the tank fluid, but I really like the approach.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:03 PM   #2046
diyAudio Member

Regarding the faucet. The base of the faucet has a collimator device that focuses the water as it comes out. It is a dense column of water that doesn't get aerated. If aeration should prove to be a problem I could either relocate the faucet to a lower level so the spout is nearer the water level or I could just attach a length of flex hose to the faucet end. The faucet is also used to pump out the tank.

As I mentioned before, this is my first cut at the ultrasonic cleaner. All suggestions appreciated.

John
Old 25th October 2018, 12:48 AM   #2047
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrovice View Post
Regarding the faucet. The base of the faucet has a collimator device that focuses the water as it comes out. It is a dense column of water that doesn't get aerated. If aeration should prove to be a problem I could either relocate the faucet to a lower level so the spout is nearer the water level or I could just attach a length of flex hose to the faucet end. The faucet is also used to pump out the tank.

As I mentioned before, this is my first cut at the ultrasonic cleaner. All suggestions appreciated.

John
Wow, nice setup. Well done, John!
Old 1st November 2018, 03:26 PM   #2048
VibratoLLC is offline VibratoLLC  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatearth7 View Post
@Zg925 - hmm... any more suggestions for units? This was the one that bbtx had suggested a long time ago - granted, the supplier for these Chinese units, hardware, etc. is always changing, so quality control seems impossible... I know Vibratto is popular, but soooo expensive out of the gate. Do they still even do anything under 600?

flatearth:
I just did a quick DuckDuckGo search comparing prices of 80khz Ultrasonic Cleaners and found that the average price ranges from $1200 to $4000 from other suppliers (which all appear to be manufactured by the same Chinese company).

Our prices are considerably lower for these specialty, higher frequency Ultrasonic Cleaners.
Just wanted to throw that out there.

-Louis
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #2049
VibratoLLC is offline VibratoLLC  United States
diyAudio Member

I just came across this interesting product (I am not affiliated with them) - its a ready-made record holder system for ultrasonic cleaners!
https://www.cleanervinyl.com/

It come in a simple edge-hanging model, and a more extensive "pro" version which can lift the mechanism out of the bath.
Looks like they also make a fan-holder for drying and a micron-filter system, also.

Worth checking out?

-Louis

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!