Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2015, 02:35 PM   #1101
Dmitryy is offline Dmitryy  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zg925 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitryy Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks, B B. This is definitely handy for ordering pump/filter assembly parts.
My US unit is a L&R Quantrex 280, which is rated for 60 kHz, which is desirable; alas it does not have a heater. Reading this thread, I continuously see that heating the medium to 50*C is important. Is there a way to add an external heater to my unit?

Is this a Q280 model? The reason I ask is all the info online says this is a 43KHZ unit.

L&R Quantrex Ultrasonic Watch and Clock Cleaners

I bought on Ebay a silicon heater pad for around $30 bucks and added it to my cleaner. Wasn't too much of an issue to open up unit to attach.
You are right. I was mistaken in labeling it 60 kHz. It's 40 KHz.
Old 26th May 2015, 10:34 PM   #1102
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've been following this thread with interest and have just placed my order for a Sonix IV ST126H (60KHz) - the 10qu model which is 241mm wide, rather than the 152mm of the 'normal' 6qu model.

The extra width means that I can fit 8 LPs in the tank at a time - and still have more than an inch gap between them.

I was planning on buying one of Louis's Vibrato LLC 80KHz models but, unfortunately, after missing out twice on one-offs that came up in his Tindie store ... I gave up. That would've only been 6qu anyway - so I've traded frequency for size.

So now comes the process of tracking down:
* a suitable motor
* a spindle & label-protector setup, and
* a filter.

Andy
Old 27th May 2015, 03:25 AM   #1103
Zg925 is offline Zg925  United States
diyAudio Member

Andy, All Electronics may still have some of the 1/10th RPM 220 V 50 HZ motors left. I do not know if they ship over seas.

1/10 RPM SYNCHRONOUS MOTOR, 230 VAC | All Electronics Corp.
Old 27th May 2015, 03:32 AM   #1104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zg925 View Post
Andy, All Electronics may still have some of the 1/10th RPM 220 V 50 HZ motors left. I do not know if they ship over seas.

1/10 RPM SYNCHRONOUS MOTOR, 230 VAC | All Electronics Corp.
Actually, I bought 3 of these about 6 months ago, as a result of reading about them on this thread. When they arrived I realised that (obviously! ) 1 revolution takes 10 minutes.

Do you think that this speed is OK ... or is it too slow? I was thinking that maybe 5 or 6 minutes would be better?

Andy
Old 27th May 2015, 04:56 AM   #1105
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
When they arrived I realised that (obviously! ) 1 revolution takes 10 minutes.

Do you think that this speed is OK
Andy

It's perfect.

B B
Old 27th May 2015, 05:15 AM   #1106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
It's perfect.

B B
So, doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation, that means a section of vinyl could be in the solution for 4 minutes ... this is not too long?

Andy
Old 27th May 2015, 05:45 AM   #1107
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

At most, it's a little under 4 minutes for the outermost ring of the LP. That's not too long, particularly with a 60 khz cleaner.
B B
Old 27th May 2015, 06:10 AM   #1108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
At most, it's a little under 4 minutes for the outermost ring of the LP. That's not too long, particularly with a 60 khz cleaner.
B B
Excellent!

Thanks,

Andy
Old 30th May 2015, 05:48 PM   #1109
kgturner is offline kgturner  United States
diyAudio Member

This weekend has been a literal comedy of errors! I've finally got about 95% of the parts necessary to turn my Vibrato 60kHz unit into a record cleaning machine with fluid filter.

Friday night I emptied out the fluid in the pan and heard *THUNK*. I looked inside the unit as it felt imbalanced all of a sudden. Yup, one of the transducers fell off the pan! I sent an email to Louis as to how to re-attach the transducer so I'm just waiting to hear back. Hopefully I can just scrape the epoxy off and re-attach it myself.

So now that project is on hold. I figure at least my Little Giant pump will be delivered Saturday and the filter assembly comes Wednesday so I can get to work on that over the weekend. FedEx drops off the pump this morning. I open the box only to find that one of the blades is broken off the impeller fan. I can't win for losing!

Kevin T
Old 3rd June 2015, 04:59 PM   #1110
Dmitryy is offline Dmitryy  United States
diyAudio Member

Regarding the filter/pump set-up. How do you think a canister aquarium filter/pump would stack up against BBFX's diy unit?
There are many of these aquarium filters on Amazon.
Something like this -
Click the image to open in full size.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!