Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2015, 11:27 PM   #1061
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member RIP

I've been following this a bit and now it is getting even more interesting.

Although the ultrasonic transducer(s) probably operate at something close to resonance, with these spacing issues I would think modulating the frequency could be helpful.

Brad
Old 21st April 2015, 11:33 PM   #1062
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, esls, but I've cleaned single records many, many times!
I just don't see or hear any differences compared to cleaning 3 at a time, spaced by 1". (And 2" spacing would only allow 2 records in the tank, or else I'd be less than 2" from the side walls.) Cleaning more than 3 at a time, yes, results do get worse.

For me, I see/hear no benefit to space 2" apart in a 60 kHz or higher frequency machine.
Best,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 21st April 2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 22nd April 2015, 01:37 AM   #1063
esls is offline esls
diyAudio Member

BC, that's another interesting possibility. Someone should do that.

Ben, at a spacing of less than one wavelength, there is no surface disturbance in the interstices. More than one wavelength, clear surface disturbance, which means we have a clear physical effect at the wavelength boundary.
Old 25th April 2015, 09:36 PM   #1064
Alan Cohen is offline Alan Cohen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cohen View Post
SOLD.
Not sold anymore. Confusion between parties.

Sonix 4 - $499 including motor. Shpg add'l.

Brand new, no box. All parts and manuals included.
Old 29th April 2015, 06:46 PM   #1065
jmczaja is offline jmczaja  United States
diyAudio Member

Just an update on the Herbach & Rademan 5 RPH motor.. I was told that I was shipped the last one and that the H1 series of motors has been discontinued. I guess future builders will have to source different motors if they wanted to go that route.

I did find the following which might help some folks:

SYNCHRON - 32953R-24 - Motor, AC. Synchronous 120VAC 1/10RPH.
Old 29th April 2015, 08:41 PM   #1066
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmczaja View Post
Just an update on the Herbach & Rademan 5 RPH motor.. I was told that I was shipped the last one and that the H1 series of motors has been discontinued. I guess future builders will have to source different motors if they wanted to go that route.

I did find the following which might help some folks:

SYNCHRON - 32953R-24 - Motor, AC. Synchronous 120VAC 1/10RPH.
Bummer on the H&R motors. Thanks for the update jmc.

But the link you provided is for a 1/10 rev per HOUR motor, not 1/10 rev per minute. That motor takes 10 hours to do a complete revolution! That might be a little too long to leave your LP in the ultrasonic bath. ;-)
Cheers,
B B
Old 29th April 2015, 09:28 PM   #1067
diyAudio Member

Whooops! I misread it as 10RPH.. Bummer i can't edit the post!

Good catch BB!
Old 29th April 2015, 09:32 PM   #1068
diyAudio Member

A quick question for you folks that have been using their cleaners for a while. How well do they remove oils? I've a few records that seems to have some kind of oily residue left from either sleeves or the manufacturing process. Will water, isopropyl, and photoflo remove this type of crud? Or will they need some other type of cleaning first?
Old 1st May 2015, 09:04 PM   #1069
esls is offline esls
diyAudio Member

JM, oils are usually best removed with other oils, or detergents. Further, alcohols or other solvents in significant concentration can form explosive aerosols around a US machine, so caution is indicated.

I found a further advance by heroically rinsing after immersion in the detergent solution - four rinses, one of them with purified running water. After the fourth rinse, water streams from the record like water from a freshly waxed fender.

I do not use photo-flo, but I do use purified water. I want no residue of any kind on my records.
Old 1st May 2015, 11:14 PM   #1070
diyAudio Member

Interesting.. I was hoping to get away from the multistep cleaning I use on my DIY Loricraft clone but for a few stubborn records, I guess whatever it takes..

Tell me more about your detergent bath/immersion. I'm assuming this is separate from your US cleaner?

FWIW, I was only going to use the the small amount of isopropyl mentioned numerous times in this thread

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!