Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2015, 06:22 PM   #1001
Packgrog is offline Packgrog  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting... if the Sonix IV tanks use lower power transducers, would it follow that only 2 records should really be done at once? Or is the ST136 a newer product than from when you worked there (it's listed as Input Power 180 Watts/1.5 Amp)? Proper spacing based on frequency has been discussed a bit, but not as much about transducer power.
Old 26th February 2015, 09:34 PM   #1002
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packgrog View Post
Interesting... if the Sonix IV tanks use lower power transducers, would it follow that only 2 records should really be done at once? Or is the ST136 a newer product than from when you worked there (it's listed as Input Power 180 Watts/1.5 Amp)? Proper spacing based on frequency has been discussed a bit, but not as much about transducer power.
Pack, sorry if my shorthand at the unit level, and Louis' interesting insider detail at the part level, has created confusion. The ST-136 has plenty of oomph to clean 3 records. I was providing rules of thumb based on the stats that a consumer sees: Average input power for the unit and number of transducers. The marketing material for Sonix specs "180W input power." Divided by the 3 transducers that's 60 watts input power for the whole unit, per transducer. Louis would have details of the actual part used and he was kind of enough to specify. There's additional power dissipation in the unit besides what the transducers deliver to the tank, which I attempted to mention in passing.

So, when a consumer is searching for options, and looks on the web at the available units for sale, he generally won't be able to see what specific transducer, and it's power rating, is in the unit. He'll generally see total input power, peak power and, usually, number of transducers. That is the frame of reference in which my note was written.

T.M. Associates has a good writeup written along similar lines, with its own set of guidelines based on total input power, rather than specific parts specs:
Questions and answers about Ultrasonic Cleaning
It too should give you comfort around 3 records in the ST-136.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 26th February 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 3rd March 2015, 02:56 PM   #1003
VibratoLLC is offline VibratoLLC  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Power Ratings

When I worked for Sonix IV, I measured the output to the transducers themselves. Here were my findings at that time:
Voltage Output to Transducer= approx 600v
Current Output to Transducer=approx 60mA
Total Power Output to Transducer= approx 36 Watts

I say approximate because with a working ultrasonic, the waveforms and voltages jump around quite a bit, so these are averages.

Note: It is unknown if they have changed their design since I left.
-Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbftx View Post
Pack, sorry if my shorthand at the unit level, and Louis' interesting insider detail at the part level, has created confusion. The ST-136 has plenty of oomph to clean 3 records. I was providing rules of thumb based on the stats that a consumer sees: Average input power for the unit and number of transducers. The marketing material for Sonix specs "180W input power." Divided by the 3 transducers that's 60 watts input power for the whole unit, per transducer. Louis would have details of the actual part used and he was kind of enough to specify. There's additional power dissipation in the unit besides what the transducers deliver to the tank, which I attempted to mention in passing.

So, when a consumer is searching for options, and looks on the web at the available units for sale, he generally won't be able to see what specific transducer, and it's power rating, is in the unit. He'll generally see total input power, peak power and, usually, number of transducers. That is the frame of reference in which my note was written.

T.M. Associates has a good writeup written along similar lines, with its own set of guidelines based on total input power, rather than specific parts specs:
Questions and answers about Ultrasonic Cleaning
It too should give you comfort around 3 records in the ST-136.
Cheers,
B B
Old 5th March 2015, 09:30 PM   #1004
doublenaught is offline doublenaught  United States
diyAudio Member

Default VPI ultrasonic.

I just bought a new turntable and have been hanging out at the VPI forum. Harry Weisfeld has also been experimenting with ultrasonic cleaners. He believes in US cleaning with Photo-flo and detergent (no alcohol) followed by an ultrasonic distilled water rinse with a final vacuuming. He also prefers the Vinyl Stack style of record rotation.

Old 8th March 2015, 07:20 PM   #1005
strader61 is offline strader61  United States
diyAudio Member

Does the center label get wet also as the album rotates a full 360 ?
Old 8th March 2015, 08:16 PM   #1006
doublenaught is offline doublenaught  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strader61 View Post
Hi strader61, If you're asking about Harry's set up, he's using the Vinyl Stack which has rubber o-rings protecting the labels. I believe he is also working on a double vacuum adapter.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:45 PM   #1007
bbftx is offline bbftx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strader61 View Post
Hi Strader,
Label protection is prudent. This can be accomplished through a combination of design considerations.
First, slow rotation (as slow as 1 rev per 10 or 12 minutes), allowing most of the cleaning solution to fall off the record surface quickly as it rotates out of the bath. Second, a combination label protector and spacer that covers each label on both sides of the LPs. There are many DIY options for this part using items that have 4-⅛ to 4- inch diameter: large cork stoppers, round electrical covers with neoprene gaskets, coasters, rounds cut with a 4.5" hole saw from rubber or neoprene foam, acrylic disks, etc.
Cheers,
B B

Last edited by bbftx; 8th March 2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:05 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

I have not really needed label protection, given the slow rotation speed and addition of surficant (PhotoFlo in my case). The fluid rolls off or evaporates before it ever gets high enough to roll onto the label, thanks also in part to the vibration from the bath itself. I only ever notice beads of fluid after removing the records from the bath, and can easily touch those with a paper towel to soak them up away from the playing surface.

It WOULD be nice to have some better spacers, though. The large cork stoppers from the UK are cheap until you factor in the obscene shipping cost. :P
Old 10th March 2015, 04:33 PM   #1009
Sprinter1104 is offline Sprinter1104  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Packgrog, If you're trying to source the cork spacers from the US, they are available at Widgetco with $4.00 shipping on orders under $40.00.

Size 56 Jar Cork Stoppers, Standard
Old 10th March 2015, 04:50 PM   #1010
diyAudio Member

SWEET! Thanks for that! I'd tried looking for something domestic a while back but failed and ultimately forgot about it. $20 still seems like kind of a lot, but I believe is still better than what it would have been from that UK source last I checked. Cheers!

My version of an Ultrasonic Record CleanerHide this!Advertise here!