Yaqin MS-22b Phono Amp

I am also very interested. The one potential problem I can foresee, though, is that shipping from the UK may be more than $30US itself... Regardless, I'm finally ready to commit to the Lesbox project. If you would, Les, please update me on the progress on the boards, parts kits, etc? Thank you! I'm excited to finally get the ball rolling over here...

Sourcing questions for LesBox mod

Hey Howdy Hi Everybody,

Was finally able to afford the MS23 (birthday prezzy to myself), got it in the mail today, and I'm excited/filled with trepidation about starting the LesBox project--I have ZERO experience with electronics on this level. I'm sourcing the components listed in the instructions, and have a few questions right off the bat:

◄1► Neither of the audio-grade capacitors seem to be readily available online in the US, so I was looking around & found these bad boys: Del Ritmo Vitamin Q oil capacitors. They look... intriguing! Does anybody know anything about em, & whether they'd be a good fit in the LesBox? Also, in the manual I see Les has some Mundorfs stuck in there... and they're 2.2µF instead of the 3.3s he recommends... would there be a noticeable advantage to installing, say, these?

◄2► Mouser has all of the required components, except one: their recommended substitution is 863-1N4007RLG for the "1N4007 Diode (For heater voltage lift)"... I assume this is not a problem, but I'd just assume check in with you lovely & knowledgeable people before ordering! :)

◄3► The manual doesn't make any recommendation about the wiring needed for adding the 3rd tube/valve. What gauge is best, in how many different colors, and what length of each color is required?

Thanks a lot, in advance, to everyone willing to help out this complete n00b! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dive in. (I hope this is the best place for them!)
Cheers!!
<<V>>

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired Yaqin MS23B and I like it very much but after reading most of this thread I have decided to upgrade it. Unfortunately, I'm not that confident in DIY ( electronics) and probably I cannot do it myself. Can anyone know who can do it for me in the UK? I'm based in Bristol. Thank you very much

Last edited:
There is now a Facebook Forum:- Yaqin MS23B Les Carpenter Mod
Samuli Selin is the man there to contact for the latest rev.1.9b circuit board.
I have a couple of boards BUT I am out of the special BANZAI MUSIC SKU18443 tube sockets and awaiting delivery. You may be able to order these yourselves.
Micalex Socket, Noval PC Mount shielded base :: 9-pin Noval Sockets :: Sockets - Tubes :: Interconnects :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music GmbH
The other special item is the Heat sink, manufactured by Stonecold Part HS-130-25
Supplier:- Transfer Multisort Elektronik - On-line Catalogue | 250 000 products offered.

Last time I posted a board to the USA was £18 plus £2.50 for packing.
That was fully built and tested, the parts cost was £75.
I have been advised by Samuli (who designed the board) that it should cost £10 unpopulated plus post and pack. I try to include a drill template and fitting instructions.
These are here:- http://g4cnh.com/public/Putting_'Life'_into_the_Yaqin_MS-22B.pdf

Go to Page 46 for PCB build instructions or
Go to Page 53 for details on fitting a ready made and tested board.

I cannot do MS23 conversions due to the insane postage costs but on the Face Book Forum you can find Jim Mintz who does stateside conversions.
Regards. Les

Hello, Lagarto. I'm about to buy a Yaqin MS23b on Ebay. In principle I will use it as it is. but in the future I would like to do the Les Box update. Tell me how you like its original sound. Do you have Humm ?. Regards, Jose.

Hello, this is my first experience with valves, well Yaqin is hybrid, unfortunately, and I like the sound. To compare it with Schiit Mani I also have, the soundstage is bigger, the sound is warmer, more detailed and vocals are more natural. and that bass! The gain is not as high as in Mani though. I replaced Chinese valves with german NOS RFT and they are great with sweet midrange and also they are quite cheap. I also have a pair of Tung Sol reissue but they require a bit more time to burn. I do not have any hum, in fact, Yaqin is quieter than Mani. I hope that helps. Best

Lagarto. Thank you very much for the contribution.
I have the Yaqin in the shopping cart waiting for you to answer me.
In your opinion, it's good.
The last question, Humm notes mentioned in different forums ?.
If without upgrading Les Box has good performance, I imagine how it will perform with him.
For now I will use it as it comes from the factory.
Greetings.

Go to Page 46 for PCB build instructions or
Go to Page 53 for details on fitting a ready made and tested board.

I cannot do MS23 conversions due to the insane postage costs but on the Face Book Forum you can find Jim Mintz who does stateside conversions.
Regards. Les

Hi Les,

I'm not on Facebook but I'm thinking about joining just for this group though.
I'm very interested in conversion and I would like to get the PCB.
How easy is to install it for someone like me, who never done something like that before? Sorry for such a silly question. Best, Piotr

I've never been one for much computer audio, but I was making some needle drops to illustrate a sibilance issue with one of my carts when I noticed something funny. I have a pretty dramatic channel imbalance on my modded 23b (on graphs, at least, it doesn't sound terrible when listening but it can be heard). The right channel is putting out significantly higher signal than the left. I confirmed it was the amp itself by switching channels up stream and down stream and swapped left and right tubes. The last thing other than the amp it could be was the cable itself, so I tried it with another source and the imbalance was not present. Any ideas on how to rectify?

I've never been one for much computer audio, but I was making some needle drops to illustrate a sibilance issue with one of my carts when I noticed something funny. I have a pretty dramatic channel imbalance on my modded 23b (on graphs, at least, it doesn't sound terrible when listening but it can be heard). The right channel is putting out significantly higher signal than the left. I confirmed it was the amp itself by switching channels up stream and down stream and swapped left and right tubes. The last thing other than the amp it could be was the cable itself, so I tried it with another source and the imbalance was not present. Any ideas on how to rectify?

I have build from scratch and have same channel imbalance as you are referring. I try everything what could think of: matched tubes, different mica capacitors , etc., still is same. After many months of trying, I complete the device and left it until solution will be available. Now, just I saw your post and I remember that I left not completed project, waiting.

If anyone could help with this issue, will be great.

Many thanks,
bekim