Yaqin MS-22b Phono Amp

Hi have unplugged all other components and it doesn't make a difference. But when I unplug the interconnect between the turntable and pre amp it hums only with almost max volume and it sounds more like just a loud output noise from the main amp. My amp goes to 72 on the volume counter when the interconnects are connected to the preamp it's noisy around 35 but when I unplug the interconnects, so the preamp is only connected to main amp the noise comes around 55-60.

So the noise must be coming from the turntable.
And where do I go from there.
Turntable is a project genie 1.3 and cartridge is ortofon 2m red.

Would it help putting some ferrit core on the interconnect cable because the noise might come from the cartridge? Or is there something wrong with the cartridge or wirering on the turntable?

I bought one of these at a bargain price but found the overall response disappointing and lifeless. All the vitality and energy seemed to get lost compared to a home made unit I had based on the now defunct WAD phono amp design. So I set about converting the MS22B but it did not have the third Triode to use as a Buffer. I swapped the MS22B Transistor for a Mosfet and did some track cuts and gutting. The end result is amazing and has to be heard to be believed. No it is not a perceived improvement, this is smack in your face stuff, full dynamics, sound stage, definition, in fact the lot!
Well worth doing if you have the soldering skills, anyway I thought I would share with you my pdf on the subject. BTW the work gets rid of the hum loop on the input RCA's too.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/Yaqin MS-22B/Putting 'Life' into the Yaqin MS-22B.pdf

Hi SDIESEL77, many thanks for that. Yes the most disappointing part was the terrible LF oscillation when I tried the modified 22B (or 22LB (Les Box) as my mates call it :)) on the main amplifier here. It worked fine on the bench but all the test gear has something like 1Meg input and it was the 20k loading of the amplifier that started the oscillation. Yaqin put just one B+ decoupler resistor before the whole of each section rather than have another resistor/capacitor between the buffer and the RIAA circuits. As I wrote in the pdf, I just straddled a 47uF across the present 22uF for now and it has stopped the problem. Later I want to cut the tracks between the Buffer and the RIAA circuits and put the 47uF's there with something like a 10k decoupler. But it was all good fun, my mates think I am mad, maybe they are right. But when they heard the incredible difference they now call me a genius :).
If I can do the circuit changes at my age (66) I am sure the young-n's will do a better job.
It is such a transformation that it makes the standard MS-22B as unfit for purpose, what I can't get over most is the incredible dynamic range I suddenly have. But for my mates it's the total lift of everything that is making them so excited.

I"m a long time reader of the forum and just found this thread.
I've got a Yaqin MS-22b in my system, bought it a year ago. It's connected trough a passive DIY Pre-amp and then to a B&O IcePower 125asx2.
I find that the output of the Yaqin is low, the system is not playing loud enough when compared to the CD player.
Can something be modified on the MS-22B so to output more and consequently getting a higher volume out of the 125asx2?

It's probably your passive EQ Danny, the MS22b was produced more in mind for the people with Tube amplifiers and hence a higher impedance to work into. There is certainly enough output to drive a Tube amplifier, I only have mine set at volume 3 and it's filling the room.
You may have to consider using an active EQ/pre-amp.

Building an active preamp is one of my multiple projects. But having an active Preamp between multiple sources and the amp means adjusting the volume each time i change source. Bringing the phono source to the same level as the CD source saves me the trouble of walking over to the Preamp to adjust the volume.

Caps mixing C4/C7 & C11/C12

Another question I have is what would happen if you mix to kinds of caps in the places: C4, C7, C11 & C12.

So for instance in

(C4/C7) i´m using a Jantzen superior audio Z-cap 1uf 800vdc mixed with either 1uF 630V Obbligato Gold Premium Capacitors or 1uF 600V M Cap Supreme polypropylene Caps.
Any idea how this could affect the sound. I was thinking at least having the same setup in C4/C7 vs. C11/C12. Or is it important that all 4 caps are the same in this small circuit?

(I assume from the blue print the C4/C7 is Left channel and C11/C12 is the Right channel..

cheers

Hi SDIESEL77

And the result
It´s just awesome!!!!
However I still have the original china 12ax7 vacuum tubes attached.
Any recommendations to better ones.
I´m mostly listening to heavy & death metal, so some which can handle the fast changing dynamics.

Also fixed the humming, it´s still there when you crank up the volume to 2/3 when music it´s not on. Is yours completely gone at max volume from main-amp?

By awesome, is it warmer, more transparent, better depth ??? I'm about to dive in but would like to hear some results...thanks!

I would say the level of dynamics well defined bass and details have increased, dont know about transparency for me it's a weird word when it comes to music, what does it really mean in that?

What kind of caps are you planning to use for the replacements?

Clarity Caps, I've used them on a few preamps and they are very transparent and open, and by that I mean not veiled in any way. For the money I find they are hard to beat.
Here's what I did with the ground and the little bit of hum it had with my SUT is completely gone now

MS22B_grnd.jpg

mixed caps

Ok so you have just placed one .1 uf cap between the two groundcables and the helps?nice

When you are using the ClarityCap ESA Series Film Capacitor are you planning on using 4 of the same.

I was thinking of maybe mixing two sets of capacitors eg the ESA and the MR Clarity caps so you have a set of two different ones per channel, any idea what that will do, i was thinking it would give a mix of different quialities as long as they are both 1.0 uF, but would that be a mess or just not work or contribute to anything?