Turntable speed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Have just joined to ask some advice if I may...

Someone just gifted me a Pioneer belt drive turntable, model on the back says 3000x/y. I've scored a pioneer amp from ebay today, plugged it all in and it works, but.... the LPs all play noticeably fast. It's not mad fast (like on 45 instead of 33) but just enough to be irritating.

So my question is, can I adjust this myself or should I take it to a repair shop and have them do it? I've found and downloaded a manual but there's no mention of fixing speed problems.

Have attached a pic - greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions you may have. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00149.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 135
Hi & thanks for the reply.
I'm in Australia and its 240v here. The turntable was in use years ago by the friend who gave it to me, they only stopped using it when CDs came along, like a lot of folk I guess.
So yes, it did work here just fine some years ago.
No, not set to 45, as I said in my OP, it's just a little bit fast, but enough to notice.
thanks again.

It's not mad fast (like on 45 instead of 33) but just enough to be irritating.
Sounds like it's set for 50Hz mains, but you're running it on 60 Hz mains. My old Kenwood turntable was set for 50Hz, but came with an extra pulley (the spindle on the motor that the belt goes round) for use with 60Hz mains.

[ot]
No, I couldn't resist!
With the "wrong" pulley installed for a few weeks (or was it months), we had the choice of playing LPs either too fast or too slow (to the annoyance of my housemates). IMO some stuff e.g. Madonna actually sounded better at the "wrong" speed. (Other stuff, like Jackie Frisco, sounded better played backwards, but that's another story).

It's amazing how one gets used to something like that, though. One of my housemates also had a turntable, but with a busted tonearm (some knucklebrain had stood on it). When I finally got round to fixing that for her, she complained that it didn't sound right. We'd all gotten so used to playing our music on my system, that it sounded "wrong" at the correct speed.:p
[/ot]

hey thanks. On closer reading of the manual, this turntable also came with 2 pulleys like yours.

Pity it's nowhere to be found, also odd that the previous owners lived with the wrong one without noticing - or maybe they also thought it sounded 'better' with the chipmunk vocals?

Anyway, am now busily attempting to track down a replacement part.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Australia is a 50Hz country last time I knew and the 60Hz pulley will result in the turntable running 5/6 as fast as it should or roughly 17% slow so you can't have the wrong pulley. (A 50Hz pulley in a 60Hz country would result in the TT running 20% fast.)

Do you have the proper belt? It's not immediately intuitive but a belt that differs in thickness from the original will result in a slight change of speed which in this model cannot be compensated for since there is no speed adjustment. IIRC a belt that is very slightly thicker than it should be will result in the table running fast.

Hi billone
Sorry, I missed your 2'nd post. It sounds like you do have the right pulley after all. If yours is similar to mine, there's something else that can go wrong, though:

The pulley has two sections of slightly different diameter for the two speeds (33 and 45). Speed change is accomplished by a crappy little plastic doodad that pushes the belt up or down on the pulley to try and get it on the part with the correct diameter. This doesn't always work as planned.

Maybe your belt's riding part way between 33 and 45. A telltale sign of misbehavior is a "scraping" sound due to the belt rubbing against the doodad. I found it's actually quite difficult to adjust the doodad to work properly and change speed reliably without endless scraping noises due to the belt not wanting to move up to the correct position. I suspect an old or worn belt could make it worse.

@ kevinkr
It took my awhile to figure out how belt thickness would make a difference but yes, I agree, a thicker belt should make it run faster.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.