Shure V15 stylus replacement problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just return back to turntable after almost 8 years (of leaving it unused). The catridge is Shure V15VMR (MM) and I have a replacement stylus (VN15VMR). Due to the very long unused time, I don't remember whether I have replaced the stylus. My memory is that I haven't and so I tried the replacement. The sound turned out to be significantly duller and softer in the left channel. Then when I played a vocal song that has a rather quiet intro, the sounds was very scratchy with a lot of noise. The noise is much lower when the song turned loud, however. This symptom doesn't exist when I put back in what thought to be the "original" stylus. With that stylus, it sounds very good.

Could I conclude that the "replacement" stylus is a defected one ? Or is this more likely a "wrong setup" for the replacement stylus ? The angle between the cantilever and catridge plane between the two stylus is different by approx 5 degree (the "replacement" one gives VTA of approx 20 degree, the "original" 15 degree). The cantilever suspension of the "replacement" one is also noticeably stiffer too.

Any suggestion ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.