Idler wheel drive vs. Belt-drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's largely a question of implemetation. Idler wheelers seem to share better pitch as a common trait and of course more rumble. In the very distant past i once heard an idler Dual with a heavy platter and it sounded nice. My point of reference was then rather low to be honest. With the Dual you'd be stuck with the auto-arm nonsense and the generally mediocre arm. Cartridge mounting, unless you thoroughly butcher the headshell is also non-ideal. I understand that it probably costs 5 bucks and as such offers tremendous value but it won't quite get you to audio nirvana. Still, it's likely to sound better than all the plastic Sonys, Hitachis and Technics POSs.

Maybe you refer to the Dual 1019. It is very heavy built with its seven pound platter and other cast features. I own one, but a Linn Sondek it is not. I use mine in a secondary system that never used for critical listening. I am tempted to strip out all of the auto junk and the arm. I have an extra SME arm that isn't being used.

...hmm.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I would leave those idler-wheel tt's to the fanatics, can never forget the rumble from my first tt, a BSR...(in 1975+)

Since that, I have enjoyed many quiet & practical Direct Drive tt's,
that can (with a good arm + cart. combo) outplay a LP-12 everyday, exept on full moon, when the LP-12 may be better...

And now, after 20 years with DD, I'm back to belt-drive (by accident...).

Arne K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.