Direct Drive Motor Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Direct Drive Motor Suggestions

My future project may involve taking the motor from a direct drive turntable and putting it into a wood body of my own design which would be artistic and sculptural in nature (art project in essence). I'm in no hurry, been thinking about doing this for years.

The tone arm would come off another table or other source (maybe even make one).

For the platter I would cast some acrylic and maybe embed brass weights into it. Alternately I could have some brass machined, but that could get real expensive and the motors involved may not be up to the task of rotating it properly. I could also add dampening and mass to an existing platter, all options are on the table.

I found a JVC QL-Y3F for $75 (near me) with button problems, it does not use bearings, some sort of magnetic lift I think.

Other options include the Dual 701/721, (EDS 1000 motor has more torque and it is smoother than original Goldmund.)
REFERENCE COMPONENTS-TURNTABLES

And of course the Technics SL-1200 or SP-10 TT motor is a consideration.

Which Mitsubishi direct drive turntables should I be looking at?

Can I just buy a new or replacement motor with controller and power supply somewhere?

I'm looking for comments and other suggestions.

I'm on a very cheap budget of course.:)

Some guys did that. Nandor Szabo used the parts of a Dual 701 to create a turntable. gofar99 created his own Dual 701 turntable. powermatic removed the parts of the Technics Sl-1200 turntable and put it in a wood plinth. The Inspire Monarch turntable also used the parts of a Technics SL-1200 turntable.

Hi, yes I used a Dual 701. It worked great. I had initial concerns that it would transmit noise though the plinth to the arm. Not to worry as it is extremely quiet. I used a composite laminated wood base made from a laminated plank that was about 1.25 inches thick and had around 12 slats. I laminated two of these together at right angles for the plinth. The rest was wood working. I mounted the power supply in a cavity of the plinth on rubber mounts. I used an Origin Live Alliance arm and it now sports an AT33PTG/II cartridge. Super sound. BTG I gutted all the auto parts from the Dual and used only the motor, PS and controls. The one photo shows how it looked with a The Alliance Arm and a Dynavector 10X5. The second one shows how it is now. I changed the finish to a pebble granite one with several clear coats.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 733
  • Dual 701 - OL Alliance.jpg
    Dual 701 - OL Alliance.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 604
Here is my simple version of a DIY DD using a Dual EDS1000-2

and Dual OPS tonearm from DualCS5000, with a 9.5Zoll extended tube.
Inner and outerplatter came from a LP12, feets from Linn Basik.

Attachments

• MeinDual.JPG
    MeinDual.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 590
  • MeinDual3.JPG
    MeinDual3.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 192
  • MeinDual6.JPG
    MeinDual6.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 198
  • MeinDual8.JPG
    MeinDual8.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 174
  • MeinDual11.JPG
    MeinDual11.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 140
  • OPS1.JPG
    OPS1.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.