Which HI-FI cassette deck to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's hard to match to your hifi since we don't know what it is. Anyhow, a Nakamichi link appears below this text box as I type. I have an Onkyo TA-RW411 dual-well that suits me just fine. I got it off ebay. I think that's where you ought to look. People are mostly getting rid of their tape decks so I'm sure there is a bargain out there.
And maybe it's just me, but I always preferred to turn Dolby off and reduce the treble than turn it on and increase the treble.

Last edited:
From my perspective, limited as it may be, "Nak" has been the king of the mountain as long as I can remember. As seen in lduarte1973's post, it's sort of the benchmark others are judged by. I also recall Denon and Onkyo being favored, but I couldn't provide further details. Except for my own experience with my Onkyo deck. Any boutique brands I'll have to leave to others to comment on.

Maybe it would worth to switch to a reel to reel recorder instead of trying to achieve higher quality with ordinary cassettes? (I have no idea of what to look for reel to reels)
Ah, well that's an easy one. Reel to reel wins going away.
A good stereo VCR sits between cassette and reel to reel.
But I have to ask... if you don't already have tapes, why bother with any of it? Go digital. Unless you just have an affection for keeping it all analog.

Ah, well that's an easy one. Reel to reel wins going away.
A good stereo VCR sits between cassette and reel to reel.
But I have to ask... if you don't already have tapes, why bother with any of it? Go digital. Unless you just have an affection for keeping it all analog.

A hi-fi stereo vhs would be great too as a better medium.
I have tapes but their recording quality is not good as you describe on your tapes, because the teck was an old sherwood, not featuring many extras other than dolby-b and metal type support tapes.
I like the hi-fi stereo vhs solution you propose as an analogue regord medium of better quality than tape, yet small enough and easier to be found today compared to reel-to-reel.
Any recommendations about what to buy?

My advice... beg, borrow, or steal the best tape deck possible from your friends or family. Record your tapes onto your hard drive as 44.1 or higher wav files. Return the deck to its owner. And save those audio files with backups until there is no question they are obsolete and replaced with superior new masters.
Now find an audio editor that you like. I use Goldwave but there are many to choose from. I recommend it because while I'm nowhere near an expert (if you look, the GUI can be intimidating) I can help do some of the stuff we're discussing here.
If you've ever done any tape recording, you'll find working in the digital domain to be so effective and flexible that it's truly a whole different world.
Once you try DAC you'll never go back :)

I don't have a reel to reel, and I tend to think that in ways owning one is more difficult than dealing with vacuum tube stuff. Years ago I stocked up on TDK-SA 90s because they were getting harder to find; I don't know where you'd buy open-reel tapes. But if it's fidelity you're after, that'd be the way to go. I'm certain some folks around here have reel decks. Maybe there's good pro stuff in a secondhand market.

Going back to VCRs, I don't really know what models are preferred for audio use. That might require some Googling. Shoot, there might be good pro stuff in its own secondhand market. I had a monster JVC video recorder given to me.

Last edited:
Hi-fi vhs and S-vhs (which uses the same audio format) can achieve near CD dynamic range, when properly recorded. Yet the recording is analog in nature. Two major drawbacks here. One being the compatibility to different players due to head missalignment (this is of no importance for home recording unless you want to share your tapes). The other being the dynamic range (analog) compression scheme which can lead to some inperfections in sound. But this scheme is used on every dolby system in ordinary tapes. A similar scheme is used even in phono RIAA. It seems that dynamic range in analog systems can be increased only by such schemes. I do not know about reel2reel but I guess it must imply to these too, as the magnetic medium rarely exceeds 40-45db dynamic range without this compression scheme.

hifi vhs and svhs as well as reel2reel usually have full frequency response in contrast to dolby free audio tapes, but vhs is much smaller than reel2reel. Additionally, you may be able to find greater quality svhs tapes at very low prices than reel2reel, since they are still produced and technology advances (the tape is thicker and the type is better). The svhs S/N is much greater than some of the good quality 4-track reel2reel recorders I have seen on ebay. Not to mention the ability to write video on them too, but let's just talk about audio.

I do not really see why one should go for reel2reel instead of svhs, but maybe you have a better approach on this, which I would be interested to discuss. Until I try both, I rely only on what I read on the net.

Last edited:
Hello neazoi,
If you are going to use the tape deck constantly you can just get a new one. One of the companies which still is making them is TASCAM. These are US prices:
Recorders, Players & Accessories
From high quality decks, which you can still find used in Europe, are those made by Revox and Tandberg. Nakamichi ones were great, but you can also say that about Luxman machines ansd top of the line..... Technics ones.

Last edited:
At this age the only ones I'd recommend are Studer/Revox models.

I remember back in the day when they were new a journo at a Hifi show removed the drive chassis from one and used it to hammer a tap into a keg of beer.
He then rinsed and dried it before re-installation. Measurements (they used to do that back then too!) showed it to be perfect!

After the WWIII there'll only be rats, cockroaches and Revox tape machines.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.