Advice on what to do re budget phono pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there guys,

My first post here :)

Recently got backinto vinyl, bought a project Genie, and just had a Cambridge Audio 540p arrived..... but not happy.

The 540p seems to roll off highs to my ears, and the soundstage is flat as a pancake in depth. I do find it really bothersome that once you embark on 'hifi' components just as many shortcomings are highlighted as improvements!

I ideally want a good depth, not bothered about soundstage width at all, and lots of air, openness, which the 540p lacks big time, its not even as airy as the poor built in phono stage on my marantz amp.

So, questions

Would the Musical Fidelity V-LPS be a better bet? or would adding a power supply improve the 540p? (if so which PS would do the job ok? im in UK and cant get the Tripp lite of Pyramid PSs).

Many thanks

Best

Dan

I've got about 1000 vinyl LP's and finding more all the time not scratched up as careful people close their houses dump their collections at the charity resale shop. I have a "legendary" 1961 PAS2 tube preamp that I bought in 1970 and last year put new metal film resistors and plastic and electrolytic caps in for even better sound. I have just switched over to a disco mixer which I paid $15 for and put another $20 in parts and a month of fiddling for sound just as good as the PAS2 with 1/100 of the AC power. Also I can leave all the inputs on at once, instead of walking around the piano from the turntable to the preamp to switch input from CD or radio. The details are at:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...performance.html?highlight=disco+mixer+mid-fi
I you post the link to the schematic on your CA540p, perhaps I or others can make specific suggestions for low dollar improvements.
My best test right now for audio gear on my horn + woofer speakers, is to play a Peter Nero "Young and warm and wonderful" dynagroove LP that has top octave solo Steinway piano, plus cymbals and bells on the same track. Then I compare the highs versus the actual Steinway console piano between and below the speakers. Peter Nero's LP has more reverb, but otherwise I'm very happy. The only caveat is that I am an Army vet and my ears roll off after 14000 hz (tested by my employer). My speakers roll off at 17000. But I can still hear hissy esses, piano, or cymbals. (intermodulation distortion).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.